Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is probably a question most won't know, but does my S550 share any parts with my 300?

I heard Daimler Chrysler mixed some parts from the suspension of E class Benzes to make the 300 ride better. Does the 300 share any parts with my S550?

I was wondering because my S550 has full parts/ maintenance bumper to bumper and I was wondering if I could use anything from it to soup my 300 up a little more.

·
Registered
70 Posts
The 300 suspension was influenced by the Benz... not the same parts. It is the Benz basic design implemented with cheaper parts.

·
Premium Member
7,787 Posts
clarification

the previous gen E class was the one that donated suspension DNA into our cars.

Front suspension: patented Mercedes multi link design. Many parts DO interchange, but only with the older E.

Rear suspension, same story. Merc patents, DCX parts. But the SRT8 has a rear end right out of the AMG parts bin.

Brake Assist, ABS, Stability programming suite (ESP) is all Mercedes tech.

The killer NAG1 trans.

Plus a multitude of bits and pieces like that cruise control.

·
Premium Member
4,455 Posts
The NAG1 is actually related to a whole series of Mercedes transmissions, and well, it is one, you'll find some of ours were even built there in Germany! ;)

Anyway, there are some parts, but nothing interesting: The stalks are all used by Mercedes in just about every car they make (even the Maybachs), as is the rear parking sensor display, the steering column (a very classic Mercedes column at that - nobody else makes em that thin that I'm aware of), and I believe the ESP unit - while not manufactured by themselves (it's made by ContiTeaves), I'm fairly sure they use it. No reason not to, it's a very capable unit with all sorts of crazy features.

Seeing as you have an S550 you should be able to tell most of these though XD

Tell me does the turn signal stalk feel exactly the same? It should.

·
Registered
4,944 Posts
At least on the 300C 5.7 some suspension parts are "derived" from the '97 E class but I do not think that the components are interchangeable as the 300 suspension is "modified''. Many minor parts are shared, cruise control, stalks, switches etc. only with the S550 if it too has switches from the E class.

·
Registered
39 Posts
E Class mercs use A arm and coil spring front suspension, they have not built an E class with mac strut front end which is exactly what a 300 has.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts