Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Or would that be my transmission? I just got my car back from getting the 1-2 shift and brake tsb's, and the coolant rrt (preventive maint. maybe?) and I wanted to be sure the tcm flash worked. It seemed to but I'm not sure if it's my brain tricking me or if the shifts are actually better.

I tried to test it out by putting the car in AS but I'm not familiar with how far I can take each gear. From what I know about manuals it seems that I should be able to take each gear to redline but damn the car screams and I'm reluctant to experiment without being for sure on the matter. I've never been a big manual person even though that's all my father drives, mainly because I end up with a stiff back after every drive.

Could some knowledgeable person educate me on gear selection and rpm ranges, how to test my car, etc.? Or at least point me to a thread that explains it? Thanks.

BTW, would over-revving harm my engine, transmission, or both?:dunno:

·
Administrator
23,436 Posts
This is kinda redundant now seeing as you've had the TSB done. PRIOR to this you wouldn't have hurt either the engine or the transmission. If you hit the rev limiter it'll cut power temporarily. About the only thing you can do is put your transmission in "limp mode", which limits the rpm's and shifting ability of your transmission. That usually happens when you spin out on wet pavement, ice or snow. It's simply a protective measure to prevent serious damage. To get out of it you have to turn your car off then on again.

Although its generally not a good idea to rev your engine in park, you won't be able to get above 3500 rpm's anyway. Don't quote me on the exact rpm's, but it's around there. It's not like the old days when you could demonstrate your exhaust to friends.

With the new TSB your car no longer will hold a gear in autostick anyway and will automatically upshift now. That's the main reason I didn't get mine done. It was the only unique thing between the 5.7 and 6.1 IMO.

Bernie

·
Premium Member
4,541 Posts
With the new TSB your car no longer will hold a gear in autostick anyway and will automatically upshift now. That's the main reason I didn't get mine done. It was the only unique thing between the 5.7 and 6.1 IMO.

Bernie
Hey Bernie if you truly believe that is the ONLY difference between our cars, I've got a clean '05 "C" that I'll trade you for your '05 SRT8. I'll even throw in a few bucks to boot! :)

By the way, I don't know if the Diablo Predator can change the autostick shifting on the SRT8, but on my 5.7 the flashpaq allows me to choose whether I want the transmission to upshift at redline (in autostick) or to hold each gear until I shift, regardless of RPM. (Obviously the rev limiter would still limit RPM if I chose this shift option).

·
Administrator
23,436 Posts
Haha. Not in your lifetime!!! I was going by his sig "bone stock" information, but I think you're right about the Predator and it's ability to hold a gear. I don't have first hand information on that though. Having said that, most Predator users bump their rev limiter up and in any case it would limit the power anyway, just higher.

Bernie

·
Registered
534 Posts
Nothing that we do will allow us to hold a gear. I brought this up with DiabloSport. It will always select the gear it wants, whether autostick is enabled or not. The number in the display is simply the highest gear it will go to. No matter what settings we use, it will always use all the gears below that. :thumbsdow

·
Administrator
23,436 Posts
Nothing that we do will allow us to hold a gear. I brought this up with DiabloSport. It will always select the gear it wants, whether autostick is enabled or not. The number in the display is simply the highest gear it will go to. No matter what settings we use, it will always use all the gears below that. :thumbsdow
Thanks Mike. Well at least we know now.

Bernie

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys. So basically I can go all the way to the auto shift at 5500 (or whatever it is) in first gear and no harm done? Ok well I guess I'll go out and do a test. It just sounds like it's gonna explode when I go that far up in such a low gear!

So it'll either be limp mode (meaning the flash didn't work) or it'll shift itself. Alright, thanks again. This board is really helpful!:fing02:

It'll be a sad day if or when a lot of the knowledgeable members of the various LX forums dump their SRT's for the G8 GT/GXP. It seems like that's what's gonna happen though. Great bang-for-the-buck car(s) and the LS3 definitely sounds delicious but I saw the GT at the auto show in DC and the styling didn't look as good in person as it did in photos.

Anyway, take it easy!

·
Premium Member
7,787 Posts
Ahem...

My car has literally dozens of hard core launches every month, hits the limiter at 6700 or whatever the bumped up limit is with Diablo. Hasn't hurt anything. I used to hit the old factory one all the time with my crappy stock tires!

My tune allows me the option of NOT having auto upshift. I really have a great time, there is nothing like that launch with the wheelspin just a bit ahead of the car, then a perfect 1-2 when I ak for it! And now a HUGE bark on the shift.

I'll bet you this tune is good for nearly a half second or more, depending on how strong your car is.

·
Premium Member
4,395 Posts
My car has literally dozens of hard core launches every month, hits the limiter at 6700 or whatever the bumped up limit is with Diablo. Hasn't hurt anything. I used to hit the old factory one all the time with my crappy stock tires!

My tune allows me the option of NOT having auto upshift. I really have a great time, there is nothing like that launch with the wheelspin just a bit ahead of the car, then a perfect 1-2 when I ak for it! And now a HUGE bark on the shift.

I'll bet you this tune is good for nearly a half second or more, depending on how strong your car is.
Yep, I've got my limiter at 6750 and I think it's too high. I've noticed the power is peaking at about 6500 so I'm going to try lowering it a bit. Meant to do it at the track today but forgot.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts