Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

door sill / kick plates

12K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  MorrisDM91 
#1 ·
afternoons,

ive just bought some replacement door sill / kick plates as mine are looking old and tatty...I need to know how to take the old ones off without damaging the car body or paint

thanks

sean

#2 ·
Some 3M adhesive remover, a hair dryer or heat gun (be careful with the heat gun) or some fishing line. They are stuck on with 3M double sided sticky tape.

Take some fishing line, run it under the trim piece to separate the trim/tape from the body and slowly lift them off. Then take the 3M adhesive remover to take off the residue. Clean the area and put on your new stuff.

#4 ·
If I am thinks correctly, these are 3m taped on. WD-40 normally loosens this up.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#5 ·
Wait a sec. Are you talking about the factory door sill plates?? I've only seen one other 300 besides me with them - not sure if they're rare or not. Not like anybody ever posts pics of factory sill plates or anything, so who knows.

But looking at mine, I swear they're welded on!!!! j/k But seriously, it doesn't appear that there is a layer of 3M under there. I would presume there is, but they sit darn flush against the sill - unlike the other 3M'd parts of the car, like moldings and badges, that you can clearly tell are raised a bit with the layer of 3M behind them.

So if yours are anything like mine, then I'd probably start with a heat gun and a trim tool that won't scratch the paint and see if you can get a corner up. If you can, use the fishing line technique and work them off. Although, I gotta say, I think they might be glued on there! I've always wondered myself, so keep us posted.

#6 ·
I take it all back! :) I just took a closer look at mine...

From the outer side of the plate, they do actually look like they are flush to the sill...

But on closer inspection, I realized that they are actually two pieces. It appears that there is a black base to them that is on the sill. This black base has a lip on the outer edge that rises up and sits flush with the silver upper portion of the plate - as seen above. But when I looked at the end, I could clearly tell that this raised lip only runs along the outer edge of the plate. I also noticed that the silver part is actually very thin. I could get my finger nail under it on the edge and lift it a bit...

So what I'm thinking is that the silver part is 3M'd to the black base part. I still wonder if that black base part is glued down - it is certainly on the sill very flush.

So what do your replacement sill plates look like?? If it's just the thin silver part, then I think you could literally just pry them off starting at the end. Remove the leftover 3M and attach the new ones to the black trim bases on the sill. But if your replacements also include that black trim base, then we're back to square one and wondering how they are attached. Hope that helps somehow. :)

#8 ·
Hmmm. Must be REALLY thin!!!

#10 ·
Aha - 3M it is! :fing02:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.