Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the owner's manual sez to use DOT 3 brake fluid, but it also sez DOT 4 can be used. I know the "4" has a higher boiling point, but the same manual sez it degrades (re: hydroscopic affinity is higher with the "4" than with the "3"). I don't think this is accurate, as my Porsche calls for "4" and I race that car on the track?
Any one have any opinions?

·
Premium Member
7,787 Posts
go synth

use a high quality synthetic DOT 4. That's the best you can get.

I recommend Amsoil.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Dot 4 can be used but not mixed with Dot 3 . Dot 4 should be done after a brake job when it is a good time to bleed out all the dot 3 fluid. Dot should not be used to top off and mix with dot 3 .There are differant properties between them.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dot 4 can be used but not mixed with Dot 3 . Dot 4 should be done after a brake job when it is a good time to bleed out all the dot 3 fluid. Dot should not be used to top off and mix with dot 3 .There are differant properties between them.
The Penzoil Synthetic Dot 4 says it can be safely used with Dot 3. I'd rather not have to introduce air into the lines while bleeding the system dry of Dot 3. Otherwise, I should go back and exchange it for Dot 3?

·
Premium Member
7,787 Posts
differ

I beg to differ. My labeling here on both types says they can be mixed. No bad side effects.

Not recommended, as you won't achieve the benefits of DOT 4, but it won't kill your seals or such.

·
Registered
47 Posts
HOLY THREAD REVIVAL!!! :arms:

I'm changing, my disks, pads and brake fluid now. I've used MOTUL RBF 660 in powerful, heavy performance cars before and I really can't recommend it enough, but it's expensive. That said, it has mammoth wet and dry boiling points.

But this time, I'm going to try a slightly cheaper alternative, that being ATE Super Blue Racing High Performance Brake Fluid. It's compatible with and will mix well with most DOT3, DOT4, or DOT 5.1 fluids, but I'm doing a full brake bleed anyway, so no mixing.

The formula offers a minimal drop in boiling point resulting in a long-lasting fluid that may not need to be changed for up to 3 years under normal highway driving

Here's the spec....

* Blue tint of fluid makes bleeding brakes easier
* Ideal for race use, excellent choice for street driven vehicles, too
* Boiling point minimum: 536 degrees F
* Wet boiling point minimum: 388 degrees F
* Viscosity at -104 degrees F: max 1,400 mm 2/5
* Designed to last up to 3 years under normal highway driving conditions
* Minimal decrease of boiling point due to excellent water locking properties.
* Non-foaming when filling and bleeding the brake system.
* Excellent corrosion protection due to selected additives.
* High safety tolerance against steam bubbles.
* Makes brake fluid changing intervals of up to 3 years possible.

Standards conformed to:
-------------------------------------
FMVSS Nr. 116-DOT4 and DOT3
SAE J1703 - DIN/ISO 4925

At next bleed / fluid replacement, I'll swap ATE Type 200 (which is the same stuff) just an amber coloured variant, which makes it really obvsious that you got all the old fluid out.

For people that say, bah why use race fluid!?! Obviously I don't race my 300c Estate, but I do enjoy driving around the Swiss alps and Austrian mountains, often with a heavily loaded camping trailer and kids on board, which puts a lot of extra stress on the braking system. So for me, performance discs, pads and high quality brake fluid is a must.

I once had a very nasty moment while driving an BMW E34 automatic, while towing a trailer in Germany in the Mosel Valley, (thankfully at the bottom of a very large mountain) my OEM brakes totally failed when the pads burst into flames! Not very pleasant, and thankfully I had some water in the car for the dogs which I was able to extinguish the flames with. If it had happened half way down, well who knows?

·
Registered
640 Posts
I have used dot 4 to bleed the brakes (change the fluid) every year in my 2006 since new, never any problems. I just bleed through a couple of litres every time, this should replace all the old fluid.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Any chance you guys know how much DOT4 fluid to buy for my 2006 300c 5.7?

·
Registered
211 Posts
I haven't been able to track down what brake fluid type (glycol or silicone) is usually used on the 5.7L's?
Glycol. DOT 3 is the original oem spec but most use DOT 4. I use ATE Typ 200 (dot 4).

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts