Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
I was watching this thread. I thought someone has installed an android radio using a PAC adapter. I was waiting for them to feedback on it. I can't remember the user though.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was watching this thread. I thought someone has installed an android radio using a PAC adapter. I was waiting for them to feedback on it. I can't remember the user though.
I want to get an android one really bad just because of it being android and able to do a lot more than the standard radio but I'm finding mixed reviews and being cautious. Hoping someone will speak up here soon!!

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
I'm sure I helped someone sort out wiring harnesses and stuff and they put in an android radio. Hopefully you get someone to chime in.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I have a Chinese double din Android unit running 4.0.3 which is great fun I have a touch screen DBT-T unit (freeview box) and a forward facing DVD Camera (crash cam) I have it working with a Pac unit apart from the SWC which is not the end of the world.

One hickup is that I had the file away the opening for the radio as the Chinese units are slightly larger than a European double din by about 2-3mm all round I still have to fettle it a little more to get the unit to sit just right in the dash fascia.

At least with a Android unit you can teather to the internet and download what ever sat nav program you like to use, I am currently using iGo which is a great program, and I have my iPod connected to the unit for all the music I need.

I can post pictures if anyone wants to see what it looks like.

·
Premium Member
6,058 Posts
I have a Chinese double din Android unit running 4.0.3 which is great fun I have a touch screen DBT-T unit (freeview box) and a forward facing DVD Camera (crash cam) I have it working with a Pac unit apart from the SWC which is not the end of the world.

One hickup is that I had the file away the opening for the radio as the Chinese units are slightly larger than a European double din by about 2-3mm all round I still have to fettle it a little more to get the unit to sit just right in the dash fascia.

At least with a Android unit you can teather to the internet and download what ever sat nav program you like to use, I am currently using iGo which is a great program, and I have my iPod connected to the unit for all the music I need.

I can post pictures if anyone wants to see what it looks like.
Post away...I'd like to see it!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I'm with silver! Post up some pics

I'm looking at an android 4.1 unit.

Few questions:
-How long do these take to boot up when you start your car?
-what is the PAC model for the steering wheel controls

A concern I had was the steering wheel controls but sounds like I can mark that off the list

·
Registered
196 Posts
Pictures as requested

Main Android Screen:-

My GUI Screen, which I have set to automatically load on boot up:-

T.V DVB-T (Freeview):-

DVR Crash Cam:-

System Info:-

Bluetooth Phone (Cell):-

Radio:-

·
Registered
196 Posts
Answers in RED

I'm with silver! Post up some pics

I'm looking at an android 4.1 unit.

Few questions:
-How long do these take to boot up when you start your car? Normally it take 20-30 seconds to fully boot and get to my GUI app screen
-what is the PAC model for the steering wheel controls The car was already fitted with a Sony head unit and the PAC C2R-CHY4 unit, but the steering wheel control did not work and I really have not had the time to get it to work with the Android unit, If I cannot get the PAC unit to work I will buy a Connects2 IR wireless SWC, which is what I had to do with one of my other cars

A concern I had was the steering wheel controls but sounds like I can mark that off the list

·
Registered
196 Posts
I have recently ordered a higher spec unit that is running 4.2.3, but I am waiting for that to arrive from Hong Kong, which will hopefully will be with me within a week or so.

The one downsides of my existing unit is that I cannot connect a OBD dongle unit to it, I have tried a Bluetooth and a Wi-Fi Dongle but neither will connect to the unit running 4.0.3, I have been told the "new" unit will be able to connect with a dongle and will be able to use a APP called "Torque" working and that will get me a lot of data which you can see on the head unit and should even be able to clear error codes on the car!!!!

I had this working on my previous car and it looked great.

·
Premium Member
6,058 Posts
Awesome! Wool you let us know when you get it up and running? Also could you post up a link to the one you are getting, I'm sure others (myself included) may be interested in this! Awesome info! I too have a Chinese unit but no android, works great, no issues in 3 years! For steering wheel I used a generic PAC interface that had an eye to send signal to the unit. Its a bit delayed but works... that looks like a good setup! Thanks TCFUK.... how is the GPS for accurate?

·
Registered
196 Posts
I have used this web site for the last 5 units I have brought, each one a little better than the last. :jester:

navallstore.com (nothing to do with me, just in case I get asked!!!)

When the new unit arrives I will take some more pictures and will post, I did not find the unit I am buying on the web Sean the supplier on teh web site sent me the details I will see if I can find them and post the spec on here.

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
Brewer,

if it helps, the PAC C2R-CHY4 has been replaced by the RP4-CH11. The good news in this is that the SWC portion is built into the adapter now and you may have a better chance of getting the steering wheel to work.

I'm not sure the SWC models available to the C2R-CHY4 would work with the android module and instead the universal version would be necessary.

tcfuk,

which model SWI did the car have with the PAC unit? was it SWI-PS?

Reactions: brewer

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
I'm curious that they tout have steering wheel control compatibility, but there's no indication how that works. The don't indicate that they are CAN compatible, so the must assume the user will get an adapter.

too bad they don't show the back of the unit to see if it has the 3.5mm jack for the steering wheel control adapter. It would either need that or have a control wire in the harness that the PAC adapter can connect to.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I'm curious that they tout have steering wheel control compatibility, but there's no indication how that works. The don't indicate that they are CAN compatible, so the must assume the user will get an adapter.

too bad they don't show the back of the unit to see if it has the 3.5mm jack for the steering wheel control adapter. It would either need that or have a control wire in the harness that the PAC adapter can connect to.
Some of them do say that they are steering wheel capable but some of the specs may say 512MB RAM then in another section (on the same page) they say 1GB RAM... Same for processors.. (For most of the eBay models)
That's what has me worried

·
Premium Member
6,058 Posts
You pays your money and takes your chance with the Chinese units...mine also said seeing wheel control, it had no canbus capability and I had to use a pac universal steering wheel control box that interfaces between the steering controls and transfers to an eye that projects the signal to ir remote eye on the head unit, not great...but it works

1 - 20 of 38 Posts