Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, my dpf is regenerating pretty much every time I put fuel in it recently (which is most days). Would it be reasonable to think that it's probably time to replace if it's doing it this often.

Regards

Paul

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
9,851 Posts
How do you know it's regenning? it should only regen within certain criteria's!....is it doing something else perhaps?

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's definitely regenerating Ray. Rough idle and nasty smell from behind (the car not me) and if I leave it idling as opposed to switching off and interrupting the regen, it eventually changes exhaust and engine note and runs smooth again.

It's five it again today on a 30 mile run out of town, when I arrived it was doing it. Mine has never seemed to conform to much criteria, it's always been able to start a regen with less than a quarter tank, and starts at low speed town driving too, two things I thought it wasn't supposed to do but alway has since I've owned the car. No dpf fault codes come up but I'm guessing it must be pretty full by now with the majority of the 200k miles being town driving.

Paul

·
Registered
642 Posts
Would it not be cheaper to do the DPF delete from the 300C shop rather than buy a new DPF - that will be my option if it ever gives up the ghost. I know you can pick up some from flea-bay but you never know if they will regen OK - no reason why they shouldn't

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have thought about the dpf delete but mine already smokes a bit with the dpf. I guess the high mileage is responsible for that, unless the dpf is so full that it's not doing its job, but I think it's more fuel related. I've only got to keep it for another 18 months so if I put an eBay cheapy dpf on it, I'd like to this it would last that long at least.

·
Registered
9,851 Posts
I don't think it's regenning, when diesels regen,or when I regen diesels the revs are at about 2-3000 rpms and the ignition retards itself to cause heat and it throws more fuel in too,never ever heard of a diesel regenning at tickover,I think you have a different problem,especially if it smokes,have you got full boost from the turbo when you boot it? not just pulling off I mean when you really boot it.

·
Registered
773 Posts
I don't think it's regenning, when diesels regen,or when I regen diesels the revs are at about 2-3000 rpms and the ignition retards itself to cause heat and it throws more fuel in too,never ever heard of a diesel regenning at tickover,I think you have a different problem,especially if it smokes,have you got full boost from the turbo when you boot it? not just pulling off I mean when you really boot it.
Agreed, I would be very suspicious if it were lumpy and smoking here...

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nope it's definitely a regen when it's doing that. Uses more fuel, red hot underneath and the burning smell from exhaust. Doesn't run lumpy when driving, only on tickover can it be noticed that's it lumpy when it's doing it. Then once it's done it's cycle it's back to normal. When I said smoky, I meant even when it's not doing a regen and only when I really put the foot down. Erm what is full boost. I had diagnostic app running the other night with boost pressure visible and I'm sure I got it to 21psi when flooring it. That said I did have a p0046 code the other day which is obviously the boost actuator playing up, but only notice problems on normal acceleration, when I floor it it responds just fine.

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
Hi all, its been a while. Last week I took my 300C (2nd Gen) in for a service. I had no issues to report when I handed them the keys. When I picked it up several hours later the garage also had no issues to report back however, 2 minutes down the road suddenly an ‘Exhaust Service Required see dealer now’ alert flashes up. I return to garage with fault still active. The technician takes the car off me then returns a few minutes later saying it is all OK and he has cleared the error. I question if he has resolved the problem and if so what was it or has he just cleared the error. I didn’t really understand the answer but guess he simply cleared the error. Driving home I also noted my average mpg had dropped from the usual 37.7 to 20.2 and it drove like a 2CV rather than a 3LTR V6. The next morning not only was the mpg still very low but the exhaust error came up again. This happened over and over again. I took the car back questioning what they done to it as it was fine when I brought it in and now clearly it wasn’t. I left it with them and returned later, I was told they had done an DPF re-generation as they believed this was the issue. Why this should occur while the car was with them I don’t know. I drove home and sure enough it was fine, only when I got out of car did I see a something odd in the rear off side quarter, the plastic panelling has melted by the rear exhaust box. It wasn’t still warm so I quickly realised this must been as a result of something they did during the re-generation. I recall the service manager telling me they ran it hot as he could smell it. I informed him that what he could smell was the bodywork burning. Photos taken, shrugging of shoulders and told they would be in touch. Finally after I rang them they said that they have been in touch with Chrysler as they believe they followed the correct procedure, all well and good but what about the damage to my car. I get the feeing they are trying not take the blame despite it happening on their premises. This could get interesting and legal....

024A9760-5762-451C-813C-F3B6DF9C51CD.jpeg

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
5 Participants
Odo
Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums
Join the 300c forum community to discuss the Chrysler 300c, SRT8, horsepower specs, AWD system and so much more!
Full Forum Listing