Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to have my oil changed at a 5 Star dealer (Atlanta) that keeps SRTs on the lot. They put in the wrong oil (5w-40 I think). When I brought it to the service manager's attention he took it to the mechanics and they said they could use same oil as all Hemis. I showed them the owners manual and my oil and filter were promptly changed. No way they were getting away with that one and I have the prepaid oil changes which we have to pay extra for since we use synthetic oil. I still don't like the fact the wrong oil has been in my engine........BE CAREFUL!!!

·
Premium Member
2,239 Posts
Exactly why I change my own oil; I work in the auto parts business and I've seen too many stripped out drain plugs, and heard too many horror stories of drain plugs left loose, filters left loose, or worse yet the oil being drained, new filter installed, drain plug tightened, but they forget to put any new oil in before they start it up!

The quick lube places are notorious for using any filter they have on hand that may happen to screw on; whether or not it's the correct filter. And don't think it is a whole lot better at a dealership - - after all they don't have their top technician doing oil changes. They've got the kid that worked at the quickie lube last week doing them!

It's not going to hurt anything, however, that the wrong oil was put in and then drained out; it's not like it was in there for a full 3000 miles or anything.

·
Registered
701 Posts
spikejr said:
Went to have my oil changed at a 5 Star dealer (Atlanta) that keeps SRTs on the lot. They put in the wrong oil (5w-40 I think). When I brought it to the service manager's attention he took it to the mechanics and they said they could use same oil as all Hemis. I showed them the owners manual and my oil and filter were promptly changed. No way they were getting away with that one and I have the prepaid oil changes which we have to pay extra for since we use synthetic oil. I still don't like the fact the wrong oil has been in my engine........BE CAREFUL!!!
Did they use 5w40 dino oil?? I don't really think it will matter because the properties of oil are a weighted average of the properties of its components ... if they drain out 99% of the wrong oil and replace with the right stuff, then it will act indistinguishably from 100% of the right stuff. A little bit of dino won't "poison" anything. I have mixed viscosities and found that viscosity acts this way. But be tough on the dealership and make them tell you that everything is gonna be OK.

·
Registered
209 Posts
The fact that they put in the wrong oil will matter ZERO, since they drained it and refilled it the right viscosity. No worries. I agree tho that a guy's gotta keep a careful eye on what actually ends up happening.

·
Registered
482 Posts
5W-40 is recommended in the owners manual of your SRT8 for warmer climates. Alanta could certainly qualify for such a climate, as there is very little need for 0W oil unless you live near the artic circle. Every single 5W-40 Synthetic oil I have seen on the market meets the DCX oil specification for the SRT8. If they put dino oil in, then you have a legit bitch....

Todd

·
Registered
593 Posts
Can we at least stipulate from the start that extra virgin olive oil outperforms sunflower oil?

·
Registered
750 Posts
Castor oil and Robert Duvall don't mix?

marnepup said:
Can we at least stipulate from the start that extra virgin olive oil outperforms sunflower oil?
I thought your line would be -

"I love the smell of fresh Castrol in the morning " :wink1:

Zilla

·
Premium Member
4,252 Posts
hey!

nothing wrong with Castor oil, mixed a lot of that for my old dirt bikes! Smells good too!

This post is an excellent reminder of why I do my own service. Plus, I fill the new filter first so there's not a few seconds of zero oil pressure on my baby after start up.

I worked in dealerships and the guy changing the oil is usually at the bottom of the totem pole. Be careful, watch, check your oil before you leave. You cannot be too cautious!

All that said, there is no harm in the accidental cross contamination!

Steve
06 CSRT8
all stock all original
everything but DVD
waiting for software

·
Registered
117 Posts
spikejr said:

Don't worry about it. Dino Oil & Synth are 100% Compatible. No harm was done.

Now, go out there and have fun...

LJB :smoker:

·
Registered
117 Posts
Incidently, I cahnge my own oil...not because I can save $$$, but because I like working on my cars.

Besides, working under that Hemi Orange block reminds me of my old '71 Road Runner...My First Car.

LJB :smoker:

PS: Christ, I turn 50 this month!

·
Premium Member
2,239 Posts
marnepup said:

Oh my God you don't actually believe THAT, do you?.... EVERYBODY knows that Sunflower oil is superior to olive oil, especially from virgin olives! at least I thought everyone knew that..... :banana: :biggrin: :wave: :)

·
Registered
72 Posts
make sure you tell them!!

spikejr said:
I took my 300 srt8 in for the 1000mi. service, only because I am getting 4 free oil changes, from dealer. when I asked the service writer, "you are putting moble 1 sythetic in there, right"? she says "no, we use regular 5w 30, in all these cars"!!!!!! I said, but the owners manual, as well as the oil fill cap says to use mobil 1. the other service writer overheard this, and said, yes he gets the mobil 1. I walked over to the car to make sure the mechanic had the right stuff. (he did) soooo, MAKE SURE YOU TELL THEM. after the freebies are over, then I will change my own oil again.

·
Registered
18 Posts
marnepup said:
Marne when are we going to start getting some of that cheap Iraqi oil?

·
Registered
593 Posts
I'm not sure you want any...I've seen what it does to their cars...my interpreter got a couple liters of the stuff we use cause he coasted to work on fumes...now, I'm sure the mogas we have over here is crap compared to the stuff coming out of the pump back home, in spite of the fact that we pay twice as much for it...but apparently it had the effect of a tuneup, compared to the stuff they sell to the public...it's about a dollar a gallon on the black market, maybe 1/5 that at the pump. And you get what you pay for (at 20 cents a gallon, not $1), it's really horrible stuff.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Perhaps this will quell fears of conventional oil vs. synthetic...

Several (6-7) years ago, (back when I was still in the repair biz) I attended a tech seminar on synthetic oils, and why they are superior. It was interesting stuff, albeit lengthy (consider this your warning...lol).

There (at the that time) were two basic types of motor oil--conventional and synthetic. They begin as the same base product, petroleum base with various additives. Problem is the hydrocarbon molecules are typically imperfect, meaning that while a model HC molecule is comprised of 1 atom of Carbon and 8 atoms of Hydrogen(if I recall right), actual HC molecules tend to be missing one or more Hydrogen atoms, which renders the molecule slightly unstable and less resistent to breakdown. That's where synthetic comes in. Synthetic is perfected in a laboratory, and the resulting 'perfect' HC molecules are more stable. As such they can withstand more use before they begin to breakdown. Voila...that's about it.

There was a third base oil discussed, as well. It was called "hydro-cracked", and was meant as a cost-effective alternative to full synthetics. Basically, the oil was bombarded with hydrogen, and effectively "fixed" a large portion of the imperfect HC molecules. We were told that it would hit the market in a few years. I think it is the stuff marketed as "high mileage vehicle" oil, but I'm not sure.

IMHO, it's like this: You break in engines with conventional oil, preferably straight SAE30. Once you switch to synthetic, you don't switch back--ever. (you *can*, but it makes no sense...) Case in point: Wife's car--'98 Sunfire (owned since new), 2.3L (quad 4), 115,000+ miles, no problems/smoke--Mobil 1 since 40K, 3-5K intervals. If you don't know, these cars aren't known for their longetivity, esp. w/quad 4).

Synthetic oil is not a requirement for basic operation. It's like using 87 octane gas. It gets the job done, but not as well.

trent...:D

·
Premium Member
3,262 Posts
Uh oh.........:spank:

;)

Voice of Reason said:
Perhaps this will quell fears of conventional oil vs. synthetic...

IMHO, it's like this: You break in engines with conventional oil, preferably straight SAE30. Once you switch to synthetic, you don't switch back--ever. (you *can*, but it makes no sense...) Case in point: Wife's car--'98 Sunfire (owned since new), 2.3L (quad 4), 115,000+ miles, no problems/smoke--Mobil 1 since 40K, 3-5K intervals. If you don't know, these cars aren't known for their longetivity, esp. w/quad 4).

Synthetic oil is not a requirement for basic operation. It's like using 87 octane gas. It gets the job done, but not as well.

trent...:D

·
Registered
750 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
I just had my first oil change today, although it doesnt say 0W40 on the service sheet I told the service person nearly ten times that it takes 0W40 not the regular 300C oil. When I got the car he told me we put 0W40 in it. Also before I went there I called thier parts dept to make sure they had the oil in stock. I have a part number for the oil and filter on the service sheet.

·
Registered
593 Posts
That's too much work for too little peace of mind...I'll do it myself, thanks!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts