Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Driving SRT8 in the snow

I wanted to know if there is a lot of people driving their SRT8s in the snow?

For my part, I live in Qc, Canada and there is a lot of snow. I found it is not
so bad with good 20'' winter tires (Blizzak) and 200 pounds of sand in the trunk.
I only got stuck 1 time... But It is fun on the corners!

We had a little snowfall today as you can see in the pictures. I made a good friend
on the parking lot. The tractor driver, when he saw me doing donuts, he tried to do
the same thing. Then, I talked with him et he told me that he has two brake pedals,
one for each rear wheels! He said that it is easy doing donuts with this!!!

For sure, if I decided to buy a winter car, one day, I will keep the SRT8 only as
a summer toy! But for now, I can say that my experience of this winter is better
than what I was thinking!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,008 Posts
Drive my all winter in Minneapolis, I change over to 18" Pirelli Scorpion Ice and Snow's for the job however. I don't have any more problems then anyone else either. Just need to be real, real light on the accelerator on slick roads!!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Live in Minnesota also. I use my SRT8 as my daily driver to Red Wing daily. Have 18" wheels and Blizzaks on the car, and 2 water weight bags in the trunk. I personally think my car handles better than most other vehicles on the road. Just takes it slightly longer to get up to speed. But with the traction control, ESP, winter tires, weight and some common sense, I have never really had any problems. We had 17" of snow one Saturday in December, drove all the way home with no real problems, except for the 5 foot high pile of snow at the end of my driveway from the road plow!

·
Premium Member
6,589 Posts
As long as you have snow tires, it will probably be okay, but it wouldn't be my first choice for snow duty. I've only taken my SRT8 in the snow when I was caught off guard and didn't expect there to be much snow or ice. I would not recommend driving a 300C SRT8 in the snow. If I had to drive in the snow often, I would own a Jeep SRT8.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
17'' of snow, thats a lot! I thought about the jeep also but I prefer the 300 because we can burn the tires
in the summer! So, the paradise will be to own both: one for winter, the other for the summer!!

By the way, does somebody knows how to post a video?

·
Premium Member
6,589 Posts
If you want to post a video, sign up for a youtube account and upload it there. Then, just post the link to it here. There are lots of other sites that will host your videos, but youtube is the most popular. I don't think you can upload videos to this forum, but I may be wrong about that.

·
Registered
534 Posts
awesome pics! looks like fun :)

·
BLOODY ADMENSTRUATOR
12,606 Posts
It's only fun, the first couple of times.

After that, it becomes a Royal Pain in the Ass! :biggrin:

Having said that, I drive my SRT8 in the snow, just about every day through our long winters here.

And it copes as well as or better than most of the other cars on the road - with the Scorpion Ice and Snow tires.

BTW- we are getting over 30 centimeters coming at us tonight! :yuck:

·
Registered
168 Posts
I use mine every winter also. I have Blizzaks on 18" wheels along with 100lbs of weightlifting plates where the spare tire would be. I also have a winter tune in my diablo. I think it gets around better than my prior 300m.

·
Registered
113 Posts
i'm a pansy i just park it and get the super duty out. the snow would be fun but wind equals drifts, combine that with my dirt roads and i don't bother most the winter. heck i have a snow plow just for my 1/2 mile drive and at times i will run it two or three times a day just to get my trucks out.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have owned my 2006 300C for two years now. 1st winter I kept the 18" M+S's on...big mistake...worked form home frequently. This winter, based on input from this web site I went with 4 [Firestone] SNOW tires. Completely different car! No problems at all including several weekend trips to VT to ski. Looking forward to getting the regular tires back on though. Western MA has seen far too much of the white stuff this year.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Its not the snow I'm worried about here in Chicago, it's all the salt on the roads that I'd rather not kill my beautiful Brillant Black paint job :) The salt is what really ruins cars around my neck of the woods. Very unsightly the damage it does!

·
Registered
770 Posts
I live in central NJ near the shore. We typically get snow hear like about 6 or 7 times a winter anywhere between 1" to 10" at a time. The thing is it will be 15 dgrees F one day and than 45 F the next. The snow typically melts pretty quick. This year we had a snow fall of 33" one day, another one of 12", and another one of 10". January was tough. Ice and sleet can be an issue. I work from home 3 days a week so that helps. When I do go in its 55 miles each way though. I drive my SRT8 year round but it is not very good in the bad winter weather - little scary at times - you have to just be cautious and senseable - I have never been stranded but very close a couple of times. I stay home if I can until the roads are plowed. Most likely the issue with me is the car plus I keep the Toyo Proxes 4 "M&S" on year round. I keep saying I'm going to get a used jeep But I never do - for only like ten days a year...

Bob

·
Premium Member
4,068 Posts
I tried to watch that except the music was too annoying.

·
Premium Member
6,589 Posts
What kind of tires are on the SRT8 in that video?

·
Registered
404 Posts
Its not the snow I'm worried about here in Chicago, it's all the salt on the roads
I'll agree to that.. But I am using my SRT8 year round. This is my 1st winter with snowtires.. Picked up a set of ASA AR3's and a nice set of Bridestone Blizzak's and all I can say is.. Wow.. We had a huge storm which dumped about 14" of snow overnight.. I looked for reasons to go out and drive past all the abandoned cars and trucks. But - ESP needs to be completely off! I installed a kit awhile back that will disable it all - The only way I drove with snow.

Nice pics Charley - I didn't get a chance to shoot pics of my fun this year..
MacK

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Finally, more people than I originally thought drive their SRT8 in the snow!

However, I hope to be able to afford a winter beater (subaru, audi...) next
winter so I can keep my 300 clean and begin to mod it for real!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts