Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
reach up and just pull down a little on that toothed rubber piece that sticks up....it will suddenly be quiet as can be in the car, very little wind noise...now let the toothed rubber thing go....noise again...pull, no noise.

whats with the noise maker DC put on the sunroof?

·
Registered
476 Posts
It improves the airstreaming capability of the car by 10 to the 9th power. NOT!!! I have no idea why this bug, I mean feature was added. It's stupid. I was doing the same thing when I picked up mine. I'd remove it if I thought I could do it with 100% assurance that it wouldn't have some long term negative impact.

·
Administrator
3,667 Posts
Exactly why I didn't get the moonroof, haven't seen one yet that is well-behaved! Hope you find a fix for it :eek:uch:

·
Administrator
14,572 Posts
Prevent Blow Job...

I'm wondering if it's meant to deflect air upwards to prevent it from blowing into the car at speed???

Rambit :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
HEMEEE said:
Exactly why I didn't get the moonroof, haven't seen one yet that is well-behaved! Hope you find a fix for it :eek:uch:
Linda,

I'm with you on that one as well. In the past, I've had a few cars with a sunroof/moonroof and I vowed never to get one again...and I subsequently have not. They always appear to be too much of a problem; i.e., noise, leaks, operational problems - electrical/mechanical...versus any overall satisfaction one actually receives from one over time anyway. :yuck:

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
personally i couldnt own a hardtop car without a sunroof...espcially one with a chop top like the 300...id get claustrophobic :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have the straight hardtop and like the long unbroken line MUCH better

·
Administrator
3,667 Posts
Mr.DJ said:
Linda,
I'm with you on that one as well. In the past, I've had a few cars with a sunroof/moonroof and I vowed never to get one again...and I subsequently have not. They always appear to be too much of a problem; i.e., noise, leaks, operational problems - electrical/mechanical...versus any overall satisfaction one actually receives from one over time anyway. :yuck:
Well, I will qualify my earlier statement and say that the one in the BMW was actually well-behaved, however I never used it and hubbeee only used it rarely and if I wasn't with him. Wind noise in a car is a huge pet peeve of mine and the sun is not my friend... so what's the point? You'll notice all his streetrods have been convertibles and mine are all hardtops :umbrella:

ToTheWall, I agree with you that the long, low unbroken line of the top is a thing of beauty.

·
Registered
909 Posts
I have the moonrood but...

I'm not saying a word so I don't jinx myself

·
Registered
227 Posts
sonroof

eudaman said:
reach up and just pull down a little on that toothed rubber piece that sticks up....it will suddenly be quiet as can be in the car, very little wind noise...now let the toothed rubber thing go....noise again...pull, no noise.

whats with the noise maker DC put on the sunroof?
I myself am very impressed with the lack of wind noise from my open sunroof @ highway speeds ( and I don't baby it!!).

My retirement job is as an executive sedan driver for the premier livery service in the industry.We had gotten 2 (new) Caddy Devilles with sunroofs. I took them both out and was stunned at the amount of wind noise at all speeds over 35 MPH. It sounded exactly as if I was driving a sedan with the back windows open ( THUMPING & WHISTLING). At $ 55,000 one would think that they would have gotten it right.

In short, I would imagine from the way you described it that there is a problem with respect to the amount of tension on the deflector rib.Should be a real easy fix and as you say " when the thing is down, it's quiet in the car". GOOD LUCK !!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
just to clarify....my moonroof works just dandy...there is zero wind noise when it is closed...when open however, the rubber teeth seem to act as a noise creator, not a noise cancellor. still, i couldnt imagine life without a sunroof ;-) and that rap about the "lines of car" being better without a sunroof sounds like me when i lament the fact that my rig is sans the backup sensors. pure justification! how can you not like the concept of a sunroof? do you people also have something against windows? :lol:

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
HEMEEE said:
No rap... no justification... just plain NO LIKE :tongue:
gotta somehow be related to messing up the hair doo? i cannot understand an aversion to letting the stars shine on thru, or nabbing a nice facial tan on the way home? LOLOL

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
charlie D said:
I myself am very impressed with the lack of wind noise from my open sunroof @ highway speeds ( and I don't baby it!!).

My retirement job is as an executive sedan driver for the premier livery service in the industry.We had gotten 2 (new) Caddy Devilles with sunroofs. I took them both out and was stunned at the amount of wind noise at all speeds over 35 MPH. It sounded exactly as if I was driving a sedan with the back windows open ( THUMPING & WHISTLING). At $ 55,000 one would think that they would have gotten it right.

In short, I would imagine from the way you described it that there is a problem with respect to the amount of tension on the deflector rib.Should be a real easy fix and as you say " when the thing is down, it's quiet in the car". GOOD LUCK !!
wow charlie...so your saying my rubber nubs might be somehow outawack? interesting, that would be the first true issue with the eudarigs standard equipment......i dont get any whistling or thumping, just more wind noise then when the nubs are pulled down. i may in fact have overly erect nubs, which is no way to go through life. will have it checked at next oil change for sure :)

·
Administrator
3,667 Posts
Nope... nurse here, redhead at that!
Hate the noise and sun no bueno, lost a friend to melanoma at the age of 22... Dad just had part of his nose removed 3 weeks ago... I could go on.

I'm glad you enjoy yours, hope you enjoy it in good health. Doesn't mean there's something wrong with those of us that don't:buttkick: :tongue:

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
I did not order a MR for this reason as well as I hardly use them and that money can be better spent on something I use. I also don't like glass over my head, I liked the true steel sunroof in my 87 300E and Alfa 164. The Alfa rattled a bit when open but all my other roof cars had no problems.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
This morning I drove on the freeway and opened the sunroof and experimented with holding down the "springy wind deflector". The wind noise did drop a little, but the air buffeting increased. The wind swirling in the cabin also seemed to increase when the springy wind deflector was held down.
IMO, the wind deflector is there to reduce buffeting and inconsistent wind noise and swirling in the cabin.

I like my sunroof. I rarely drive with the roof open. But I often drive with the sunshade open, especially in the winter. In the summer, the sun is often too bright to drive with the sunshade open.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i actually Re-Experiemented today as well...and yes, i did notice that one form of noise..the direct wind above, decreased when i pulled the rubber thing down, but yes u r right, the buffeting type noise increased. i concluded that you cant really have any of the buffeting noise permitted so i guess it is the only acceptable compromise. my apologies to the DC sunroof designers.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I went sans the sun roof and kept about $950.00 (If my memory is correct). I have had them before and never used them.

My convertible was different. Now that's what I call a sun roof!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts