Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone driven their 300C in the snow/ice yet? If so, how well-controlled does it ride under these conditions? With ESP, traction control, anti-lock brakes and the like, I'm thinking that AWD will just be overkill in most parts of the country. What's your opinion?

·
Registered
101 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks...I've already seen this article and watched a number of DC video clips on their FTP site where independent observers explained how great the RWD/ESP combo works. I just wanted to hear some opinions from actual owners.

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
C-Class said:
Hoping there might be some 300's rolling aroung North of the border...way North!

Way North Yes! The word from the North Pole is that Mr. Claus traded in his Reindeer Sleigh for a 300C Hemi with DVD Navigation. 340 Horses is much better than 8 tiny Reindeer! :D :D :D

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Santa...if you're out there. I could use a little help here... :cool: After the 25th, let me know how well the new 300 climbs those rooftops in the snow :D

·
Registered
20 Posts
If you're on relatively flat land RWD will work ok in the snow with the right tires. But, IMHO, RWD doesn't work for crap in the snow if you have any steep grades to climb. I don't care how much fancy gee-whiz electronics you put on it, if the rear wheels are trying to drive a (heavy) front engined vehicle up a steep grade you're SOL.

I actually hated the traction control on my FWD VW Passat in the snow. Just when you built up some momentum it would cut in and slow you down. I don't know exactly how it worked, and if there are a lot of different systems, but the one on the VW seemed to simply brake the wheel that was spinning faster than the other. It did not send more power to the wheel with traction. It felt kind of sickening too when it kicked in, like something was wrong with the car.

·
Registered
60 Posts
The C has a "posi" like rear on it though correct? Not just one tire is going to spin up, they both will if I am thinking clearly!

AM I?

·
Registered
54 Posts
C-Class said:
What's your opinion?
I'm reserving my official opinion for this winter. However, ESP should help to keep you going in the direction you want to on slick roads. It won't give you any more traction. If I'm not mistaken, traction control on the 300 consists of braking the drive wheel that wants to spin so power goes evenly to both driven wheels. It won't be as good as having power to four wheels. BTW, DC recommends switching ESP off when starting out on snow/ice. Presumably, traction control remains active.

We have already managed to get stuck trying to turn around on a wet gravel mountain road with no snow. I wished I had AWD then. I'll probably wish I had it a few more times this winter. But there are always ways of dealing with winter driving conditions (snow tires/chains, take the truck, wait for the plows to get out, etc). It's part of life in the north.

This is the last you'll hear from me on this subject for a few months. It is kind of refreshing though with the temps heading toward 100. :)

·
Registered
529 Posts
C-Class said:
Hoping there might be some 300's rolling aroung North of the border...way North!
Hate to say it but the temp in your way north has been in the 80's and 90's for the last couple of weeks, and much warmer than we have in southern Canada. It sounds weird to say southern Canada!!!!!!!

Please don't be afraid to drive in snow with rear whel drive. There are a few of us older drivers or should I say senior drivers who will say that control is much better with rear wheel drive. I might suggest that if you feel uncomfortable then contact your local AMA or whatever you call it in the US and take a course. We all can benefit with driver training every so often. Can't we!!!!!!!!! :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts