Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was changing my oil with castrol oil and the plastic ring from the cap on the quart sized bottle fell into my oil resevor, what do i do

5.7 liter hemi truck 2003

·
Premium Member
6,091 Posts
Not sure the best route.. anyone else?

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
you could try draining the oil first and hope that the flow of oil brings the ring close to the drain plug and then pull it out with some clean needle nose pliers. (just dont start the truck obviously)

if that doesnt work id imagine youd have to take off the oil pan.

goodluck

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
I was changing my oil with castrol oil and the plastic ring from the cap on the quart sized bottle fell into my oil resevor, what do i do

5.7 liter hemi truck 2003
I have a three-pincered, flexible cable type, thumb-operated tool, about two-feet long, that I use to snag things that fall into otherwise inaccessible places.

Any auto supply should have it. Call ahead!

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I have a three-pincered, flexible cable type, thumb-operated tool, about two-feet long, that I use to snag things that fall into otherwise inaccessible places.

Any auto supply should have it. Call ahead!
Draining oil may be a bit easier/cheaper/quickest method then fishing for a ring when you cant exactly see the ring. whatever is in the oil pan will flow toward the drain plug once oil starts flowing through it and pulling it out with some clean needle nose pliers shouldnt be hard at all. thats what id do. but do what you feel is easier for you officerhansen. again goodluck

take a look through the filler hole if you havent already done so and check if the ring is sitting on any internal component. Dont know how it looks inside your rams engine but i know in my impala the cam is sort of in the way of the oil that gets poured in. so if its visible use the grabby thing desiree mentioned

·
Registered
544 Posts
Usually the oil is poured in a rocker cover so the ring should be up under the valve cover. Worst case you might have to take the cover off. The drain holes are only about a quarter of an inch so the plastic ring shouldn't have gone far and surely not down to the oil pan. A flex retriever and an inspection mirror should locate it through the fill hole.

·
Registered
280 Posts
ITS not going to go any where except right there at the lifter springs area, pull the cover its simple, if you cant get at it through the fill hole.

·
Premium Member
2,300 Posts
If it is the same setup as a 5.7/6.1L LX it will be sitting at the bottom off where you pour the oil in (bottom of the fill neck). The entrance into the motor is quite small (smaller than your thumb nail) and I doubt it would have gone through.

Long nose pliers and a torch will help u get it out.

·
Registered
9,851 Posts
ITS not going to go any where except right there at the lifter springs area, pull the cover its simple, if you cant get at it through the fill hole.
Exactly what he said,its the only way

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think your right

I think your right, thanks everyone for your responses I started the engine and it runs fine ill have to get some kind of little grabbing tool to fish it out. :pat:

If it is the same setup as a 5.7/6.1L LX it will be sitting at the bottom off where you pour the oil in (bottom of the fill neck). The entrance into the motor is quite small (smaller than your thumb nail) and I doubt it would have gone through.

Long nose pliers and a torch will help u get it out.

·
Premium Member
10,769 Posts
You started the engine?!!! Ooops... if you ran it long I wonder what the melt temperature for that plastic ring is... bet it's beat all to heck if you find it in one piece after removing the valve cover.

Good luck.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Plastic melts much higher than the oil temp will ever get. Don't waste your time with the "little grabbing tool". You will have no problems pulling the cover off and picking it out of the head with your fingers so long as the valve cover seal doesn't tear. I think they're rubber anyway iirc. Amazing how something so small and insignificant can make so much trouble.

·
Premium Member
4,541 Posts
I think your right, thanks everyone for your responses I started the engine and it runs fine ill have to get some kind of little grabbing tool to fish it out. :pat:
Or you can just leave it there and in about 200,000 miles you can remove it when you are rebuilding the engine anyway. It's not gonna hurt anything.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I would remove it as soon as possible. The last thing you want is that piece of plastic getting lodged in one of your valve springs.....

·
Registered
9,851 Posts
your motor will have a pick -up pipe inside your oil pan(sump)leading to your oil pump and this will have a gauze filter on it to stop sh1t getting in,so when you take the valve cover off and the plastic remnants are nowhere to be found thats where it will be.Let me see.mmm plastic v metal,metal wins hands down,stop worrying and enjoy.Next time tho,take the ring off before you top up.lol

1 - 16 of 16 Posts