Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Clumsy me was fitting new tail lights onto my 06 wagon and dropped one thumbscrew (a glorified wing nut) that holds the light to the body into the "abyss' :pat: (I now know to pack out the cavity with a towel, or similar, in future to prevent this) Anyone with a wagon will know how awkward it is to access this thumbscrew grrrrr!
Anyway it has fallen into the body panel and is irretrievable by hand or hook etc I'm thinking I may have to leave it there (I can't hear any rattling) and buy a replacement from the stealership
Before doing this I thought I'd ask if anyone knows what would be involved too try to retrieve it? I investigated removing the interior trim but it seems like a formidable task (and I'm not even sure that this would give me access to where it has fallen) Has anyone gone down this path and able to advise me whether it's worth perservering? Or should I just pay the (inevitably high) cost for what is basically a wing nut

·
Premium Member
4,721 Posts
attach a small magnet to a piece of wire or an old coathanger straightened out.... see if that finds it.

Edit: Altho it might be plastic eh? Then that's a nuisance. Maybe some kind of flexible grabber.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Flexible magnet

Thanks very much for the tips The thumbscrew is cased in plastic coasted but does have a metal thread I'll remove the other one and experiment on it with a strong magnet to see if your idea is feasible It may well be the answer to my problem

·
Premium Member
7,943 Posts
I'm trying to find the thread about removing the dipstick that had broken off. Someone had a great idea about how to get it out and I'm thinking it might work for your problem.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dropped tail light thumb screw

Today I took off my remaining thumbscrew that holds the tail light to the body on a wagon It is completely encapsulated in plastic (with an internal metal tread) and can't be picked up with magnetic pick-up tool
Thanks to the other members for your suggestions on this method (I'm sure I'll be able to use it for the next part I drop!)
Anyway I've leaned a lesson about being careful and fully prepared even on the simple jobs
Today I put in 6000k white LED back up lights so along with the LED indicator bulbs I've added, I'm fully LED in the tail lights now
Now to start on the front of the car! First up will be replacement of the OEM fog lights with white halo versions I'll post pics when I get around it to it

1 - 9 of 9 Posts