Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dealers are offering a locally-developed LPG system for the Chrysler 300C and Jeep Grand Cherokee

Chrysler offers Australian consumers an alternative fuel system for both the 300C and the Jeep Grand Cherokee. It's called 'diesel'.

But for those who have a set against compression ignition and never carry stuff around in the boot, Chrysler dealers are now offering an after-market dual-fuel petrol/LPG option for the sedan and the offroader.

Developed by Victorian company, Parnell LP Gas Systems, the set-up is a Vapour Sequential Injection (VSI) system and works with either six-cylinder or V8 petrol engines. VSI is described by Parnell as the latest generation of LPG induction technology, overcoming backfiring and lower performance that afflicts cars fitted with older technology systems. Component parts have been sourced from companies in the Netherlands and Japan.

"Like all our kits, it drives really well and you wouldn't know which fuel you're operating on from a driveability viewpoint," said Mark Somers, Parnell's MD.

"The kit places no restriction on air flow in petrol-only mode so there is no loss of power when running petrol -- which means you can have the best of both worlds."

The company is actively working on similar conversion kits for other models in the Chrysler Group range and these will be introduced in the not-to-distant future.

Dual-fuel option for Chrysler-Jeep – Car Reviews, News & Advice - CarPoint Australia

·
Registered
981 Posts
Good info for those interested. Parnell has had this out now for a few months. Parnell are also in Laverton Vic. and Adelaide. I have been running on LPG for the past 20 years on various types of cars. I love it. I still have a Courier ute on it, damn cheap to run. Performance loss is really a myth with todays technology.

·
Premium Member
403 Posts
It's an old picture too :p
That vehicle was converted last year, it's also still going strong with 40,000km+

It's a fantastic kit, I've had issues with a VHA vehicle using a different LPG setup; but haven't heard of any problems with Parnell systems.

Cheers
Phil

·
Registered
981 Posts
can you run LPG on diesel engine? I've got a CRD and would like MORE savings...
Hi Arief:
Absolutely NO. A Diesel relies on high compression pressure to ignite the fuel (friction of the molecules in the air being compressed). LPG still requires a spark source from spark plugs to propagate a flame front and some kind of spark distributing device. (distributor on older petrol engines). A lower compression pressure is also required, otherwise uncontrolled pre-ignition will occur and severe damage will result.A Diesel engine would have to undergo significant engine modifications to convert to LPG. Not financially worthwhile. Do your figures and you will discover that a Diesel 300C is still considerably more economical to run than the petrol version. Don't be confused with what you hear about adding LPG to Diesels these days. It's purely a additional fuel injected under hard load. The concept has been around for years. It lost popularity 20 years ago, but has made a resurgence on the older style inefficient style Diesel engines found in Nissan patrols etc.

If this is not clear, I think there will be plenty of info to be found on the web.

Cheers
Kel.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi Arief, we have gas on our CRD as we are running it as a Silver Service Taxi in Brisbane. We average 8ltr per100klm in city driving. Have had no trouble with it. It is only marginally dearer to run than our Fairlane on gas. Peedi

·
Registered
981 Posts
Hi Arief, we have gas on our CRD as we are running it as a Silver Service Taxi in Brisbane. We average 8ltr per100klm in city driving. Have had no trouble with it. It is only marginally dearer to run than our Fairlane on gas. Peedi
Hi peedi:
Well thats really interesting. Please elaborate how this is managed. Surely it is only a blend. I just cant imagine how this is done apart from the blend system, which is not dedicated LPG.

Kel

·
Registered
394 Posts
Kelvin, it'd be a gas / diesel blend, it's becoming popular on trucks as well. As well as improving milage, it also reduces emissions (same thing really I suppose!) and I believe increases power.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Kelvin, it'd be a gas / diesel blend, it's becoming popular on trucks as well. As well as improving milage, it also reduces emissions (same thing really I suppose!) and I believe increases power.
Thanks Keith:
I am familiar with it. It was popular in the '60's. I remember as an apprentice we used to install it to the Cummins Diesels. It was called "Torque Topper". It acted a bit like a squirt of nitros under acceleration. As for the CRD engine, it already meets Euro 4 emission regulations, I doubt blending LPG into it would improve anything. Sure it may work on less sophisticated Diesel engines. I think its just the old wheel turning again. I have no doubt that peedie has it installed on his CRD, but I doubt there would be any gains.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Just bumping this into the current. Anyone had any recent experience or investigated the dual diesel/gas options? I was talking to a business the other day that installed a system onto a 300c CRD and they had dyno charts showing a massive improvement in torque from 510 to to 595nm. The tank is tiny (20 litres) and was fitted to one side in the boot. Generally the ratio of gas to diesel is around 1:5 ie 20% gas 80% diesel. Supposed to improve the burning efficiency of diesel from 80% to 98%.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Not diesel/gas, but as a bit of an update my petrol/gas V6 300C has just clocked over 170,000km. Only problem so far is the petrol fuel pump carked it and you can't start up on gas, had to wait for a new one. Otherwise still going strong. V6 petrol on gas is about 50% fuel cost compared to a hemi on premium, but the hemi does go better.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts