Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Im new to the forum so im not really familiar with much yet but i just got a 300c and i love it. yesterday i was parked on my E brake and forgot to turn it off and started driving out of a parking space. As soon as i did i heard a lot of noise and sure enough i thought i snapped my brake cable. Since its a 2008 model and i had it for not even 2 months i have warranty plus i had extra warranty bought on top of the one they give that is supposed to cover everything(at least that is how it was explained). Well i had it towed ( by roadside assistance which was free) to the nearby chrysler/ jeep dealership. When i called they said they couldnt get to it right away but as soon as they can they will call with the problem. When the guy called me back he didnt even say hi or anything he just said "$1500+tax". Thats when i was in total shock. He told me what happened and said that it was my fault and will not be covered by the warranty. Now what happened was my passenger rear wheel breaks shattered! He said i need a new shoe kit, lever, adjustor, spring, cable, shin, and the Knuckle total of $747.78 + $750.00 for labor and +tax.... when i asked him how is it my fault that all that shattered he said " you have a hemi 5.7.. the brakes did its job" and i said how if they shattered. Well then he said "what do you do if you are going fast and your brakes give out, you press the ebrake to stop" and i used his example and added " yes and then the ebrake shatters because of pressure". well i gave my mechanic a call and he said same thing i did. Then i called the dodge dealership in the area and they said that they will honor my chrysler warranty. Thanks to Dodge 23 in NJ!!! Please post your opinions because i really want to know if that could have been that much of my fault. thanks for all opinions ahead of time!

·
Registered
360 Posts
Hmmm... I hate to say this, but you applied the brake, you forgot to release it, you drove the car, you caused the damage. Now, whether there is a further issue with the brake failing prematurely in this case is really neither here nor there - that is a separate issue. In the eyes of the dealer you caused the damage by driving the car in a manner for which it is not designed, i.e. driving against the parking brake.
Certainly in the UK, the parking brake is not required to be designed in a way that it is capable of stopping the car whilst in motion, merely to prevent the car from moving once static. This hasn't changed since the introduction of dual-circuit service brakes, it was only old cars with single circuit service brakes that had to have the parking brake designed in a manner to allow the car to be slowed down using the park brake if the service brakes failed.
Sorry if that's not what you wanted to hear, but that's my personal opinion and I'm 100% sure the rest of the UK motor trade would agree with me.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
u know i would probably agree with you if the only thing that broke was the cable, but the thing is the brakes totally shattered in the rear wheel. i really dont think that it shouldnt happen. thanx for your opinion

·
Administrator
23,441 Posts
Sorry that happened, but I have to agree with badger on this one. It's a good thing you had the foresight to call another dealer though, because they all seem to differ on their intrepretation of warranty issues. I'd say you got lucky on this one and I'd make the second dealer your primary one in the future!!!

Bernie

·
Premium Member
10,829 Posts
First of all, welcome to the 300c forums! Glad to have you join.

If your situation happened exactly as your said, then I haved to agree with you. Simply driving out of a parking space with the ebrake on should not have immediately caused that damage.

Now, I'm basing that on my own experiences. My 300c is almost 4 years old. I have countless number of times forgotten to release the ebrake and driven as far as a 1/4 mile on my private road before the car starts dinging letting me know the brake is on. Your passenger rear brake should not have fallen apart on a brand new car for just doing the simple manuever you mentioned.

Thank goodness you found the Dodge dealership to honor your warranty as should be IMO. I also use my local Dodge dealership.

Keep us updated on the repairs.
bruno

·
Registered
360 Posts
Sorry if I misunderstood - I thought you meant you'd driven some distance with the parking brake on, which would generate a considerable thermal stress, probably leading to the failure. There is virtually no cooling airflow to the park brake drum as it is contained within the rear disc brake, the disc itself gets cooled by the natural airflow around it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
First of all, welcome to the 300c forums! Glad to have you join.

If your situation happened exactly as your said, then I haved to agree with you. Simply driving out of a parking space with the ebrake on should not have immediately caused that damage.

Now, I'm basing that on my own experiences. My 300c is almost 4 years old. I have countless number of times forgotten to release the ebrake and driven as far as a 1/4 mile on my private road before the car starts dinging letting me know the brake is on. Your passenger rear brake should not have fallen apart on a brand new car for just doing the simple manuever you mentioned.

Thank goodness you found the Dodge dealership to honor your warranty as should be IMO. I also use my local Dodge dealership.

Keep us updated on the repairs.
bruno
thanx for the welcome! ye i have driven away on my previous cars on the ebrake plenty of times ... including my 2006 bmw 5series that i just got rid of, i used to rip on the ebrake like crazy doing donuts and stuff.. i have to say that even though this happened this car is still awesome! the dodge dealership is awesome, they call me every day and update me, they are currently waiting to free up a lift and they are going to get started, should be ready by tomorrow afternoon. thanx again for all your opinions!

·
Premium Member
10,829 Posts
I think others will agree they have done the same thing as me on more than one ocassion as well as what you just mentioned w/o any damaged brakes.

That Chrysler dealership's name should be exposed here and reported to the higher ups. I do think you should have worked your way up the chain of command before going to the Dodge dealership. It's possible the next person in line would have made a complete difference in the process.

Not that it should make a difference, but, did you purchase your vehicle and extended warranty from that Chrysler dealership?

bruno

·
Administrator
23,441 Posts
I think others will agree they have done the same thing as me on more than one ocassion as well as what you just mentioned w/o any damaged brakes.

That Chrysler dealership's name should be exposed here and reported to the higher ups. I do think you should have worked your way up the chain of command before going to the Dodge dealership. It's possible the next person in line would have made a complete difference in the process.

Not that it should make a difference, but, did you purchase your vehicle and extended warranty from that Chrysler dealership?

bruno
I think I misunderstood just like badger did and took it as if he'd been driving around with it on. Damn, even I've done that without problems. I think the problem why things broke was the fact it was going in reverse. Had he taken off in drive it probably would have been fine.

Bernie

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry if I misunderstood - I thought you meant you'd driven some distance with the parking brake on, which would generate a considerable thermal stress, probably leading to the failure. There is virtually no cooling airflow to the park brake drum as it is contained within the rear disc brake, the disc itself gets cooled by the natural airflow around it.
i mean **** happens sometimes u pull away and a cable breaks thats just tough luck but all that happened just by pulling away i was little disappointed... but hey the worst is behind me now so no stress :biggrin:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

bruno
yea i bought everything from a chrysler dealership.. brand new with extended warranty.. but i bought in Michigan and now im in NJ.. back and forth but all broke in nj so i took it here (obviously).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts