Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

E55 Or Srt8??

11K views 38 replies 17 participants last post by  rtr0id 
#1 ·
E55 with 469 RWHP....stock or a SRT8 with 370 RWHP stock ??

Who here has driven both? And who can compare either?
I have not driven either so I can not say anything about this....
Though a CTS-V is no comparison mainly because it has a 6 speed.
A E55 has a auto and is close to what a SRT offers or more....

So please anybody lets hear your thoughts on this.... :smoker:

consider this the E55 is about 65k used where a SRT is 48 new with average markup and so on.... I know the E55 is more but is it worth the 17k in the long run???

#3 ·
The supercharged E55 does not have 469HP to the rear wheels. Hell, that would be a flywheel rating around 560HP. The flywheel HP is listed as 469 for the E55 and 425 for the SRT-8.

However, the E55 actually has the same 493HP at the flywheel just like the much more expensive and heavier S55, CL55 and SL55. Mercedes has traditionally listed the HP for the E55 lower as some sort of marketing thing. The speculation is they list the E55 at 469 instead of 493 to make the S55, CL55 and SL55 owners fell superior becaust they pay so much more for the same HP.

Is the E55 really worth more? Maybe - the HP can easily be boosted on the E55 and it comes with better rubber. A stock E55 will always be quicker than a stock SRT-8.

#5 · (Edited)
marlinspike said:
You sure the E55 engines are underrated? I always understood it has less than the S55 for the same reason the CLK has less than the E55: more restrictive exhausts and intakes necessitated by the smaller space.
If the exhaust restricted the HP would the torque also suffer? I am not sure. The E55 listed as 469 and the S55 listed with 493 also have the same torque at 516 ft-lbs. The cars have been dynoed over on mbworld.org and numbers show around 500/520HP for E55. It is a marketing thing. My normally aspirated 2002 E55 is advertised as 349HP. The normally aspired 2002 S55 and CL55 is advertised as 355HP. Open up my owners manual and I get 6 more hp:

Attachments

#6 · (Edited)
retardedmunk said:

consider this the E55 is about 65k used where a SRT is 48 new with average markup and so on.... I know the E55 is more but is it worth the 17k in the long run???
I did visit my local Mercedes dealer quite a few times before finally settling on the 8. My 2 cents is that even if the E55AMG was the same price as the 8, I'd still take the 8....the benz is just too bland looking.....Although Mercedes has a better so-called "image" and "status", and perhaps quality, the 8 has much more life to it's looks....
http://www.mercedes-benz.ca/index.cfm?id=4451

#8 ·
E55 all day

I just picked up my SRT8 today, so obviously I have not had a chance to jump on it yet. But let's make no mistake, the E55 is one hellova car. If I had an extra 30k, I would have one. I am a lucky guy...my father-in-law loves cars and I've had a chance to drive them; he's had two e55's, a '99 and an '03. They are rediculously fast, and that's compaired to my old Subaru STI......Even before the supercharger kicks in, that car is movin'. Just my 2 cents.

CH

#9 · (Edited)
Mercedes forum...

Congrats on your car!! I am so jealous! I will join your ranks hopefully soon...

I would love the mercedes crowd to also chime in on this thread (like the CTS-V owners did on the other thread)....It would be interesting to hear their prospective. What is their take on this so-called "Bentley wanna-be", Mercedes "half-breed" of ours, and how does it compare to their SRT type AMGs?

BTW, is this the main benz forum site i've been hearing alot about, or is there another big one...http://www.mercedesforum.com/

#10 ·
With no options the E55 has an MSRP of $82,600. A fully loaded SRT8, even with a ridiculous mark up is going to be around $60K. $22 Gs. That's a couple of really big plasma TVs...

retardedmunk said:

#11 ·
Conservative estimate...

Trainwreck said:
With no options the E55 has an MSRP of $82,600. A fully loaded SRT8, even with a ridiculous mark up is going to be around $60K. $22 Gs. That's a couple of really big plasma TVs...
And you are being quite conservative in your estimate. You've low balled the price of the E55, and floated the price of the 8, and still quite a difference.....

I got the E55 MSRP with nav and siruis at $86,219 US off the mercedes website build (it could go even higher with more options!), while a fully loaded SRT-8 comes in at $ 47,895. Unless you can dicker off MSRP for the E55, or get stuck paying over MSRP for the 8, my numbers say a difference of $38Gs....

#12 ·
Yeah, mine was kind of apples to oranges, your numbers are more representative.

CMYSRT8 said:
And you are being quite conservative in your estimate. You've low balled the price of the E55, and floated the price of the 8, and still quite a difference.....

I got the E55 MSRP with nav and siruis at $86,219 US off the mercedes website build (it could go even higher with more options!), while a fully loaded SRT-8 comes in at $ 47,895. Unless you can dicker off MSRP for the E55, or get stuck paying over MSRP for the 8, my numbers say a difference of $38Gs....

#13 · (Edited by Moderator)
More info on the subject

At a site called www.E55amg.COM there is a E55 taking a Cobra... which we all know runs 112 trap speeds stock... and this cobra had all the goodies... well the E55 still took the Cobra which was rated at something like 490 RWHP... the E55 weighs more and was stock in the race... they raced 4 times.... E55 coming up quicker.... so this tells me the car was underrated at the factory or they rate the car at the 469 from the rear wheels....interesting in my opinion.... as far as collectibilty.... well the SRT was production get going and the new Srt's come out ..... the car will join the ranks of most other american low production cars... and depreciate as all.......no such thing as instant collector car unless it is a Ferrari or GT40 maybe.....and for pricing.... hell if I could buy a used SRT8 i Would ... but I cant... not many on the market now... but I would not buy 86K Benz I could have used for 65k....same car.....IMO.... :smoker:

#14 · (Edited)
Supporter of the E55...is this your equal?

Come on now! Isn't there anyone out there to give a spirited defense of the E55 over the 8? Surely some of the Benz-ite custodians of the Mercedes powers-that-be are listening!

I beg you, please tell us how we 8 lovers are making a mistake buying "American/Canadian". Insist that the 8 will rattle itself apart in no time. Remind us that the price of an E55 over the 8 is justified in the long-run through higher resale values and lower maintenence costs, and that the quality ride and option luzuries are much better, and that it is faster, etc, etc, etc. Tell us that cars under the banner of companies such as Mercedes and BMW are superior in every way imaginable....

Or could it be that Chrysler, with it's union to Mercedes, has finally met the challenge of offering quality, luzury, and speed, all at a fair price?.....

#15 ·
With the E55 you get what you pay for. You can't compare an E55 to an SRT-8. SRT-8 is a semi-luxury car that is faster then any other semi or full luxury car within 25k of it's price range.

The SRT-8 or 300C for that matter is still just a Chrysler and has that no frills feeling from time to time.

For the money, you can't get a better car all around as far as acceptable luxury, comfort, power, room, and styling.

The same goes for the E55 in its price range.

I end with this "if you can afford the E55 take it over the SRT-8" Simple :)

#16 ·
CMYSRT8 said:
Come on now! Isn't there anyone out there to give a spirited defense of the E55 over the 8? Surely some of the Benz-ite custodians of the Mercedes powers-that-be are listening!
Looking for a Benz lover? Look no further. MBCA member at 18 years old, driving my Benz before I had my license. My dad's cars between 1972 and 1985: 5 different Benz's. I've worked on my Benz since I was about 12. I always say how they don't build cars like my Benz any more. What car did I encourage my dad to buy? SRT-8.

#18 · (Edited)
marlinspike said:
Looking for a Benz lover? Look no further. MBCA member at 18 years old, driving my Benz before I had my license. My dad's cars between 1972 and 1985: 5 different Benz's. I've worked on my Benz since I was about 12. I always say how they don't build cars like my Benz any more. What car did I encourage my dad to buy? SRT-8.
Sounds like you know Benz's well! If you don't mind me asking, what factors led you to the 8 over Mercedes? And have you ever driven an AMG?

#19 ·
Well, bang for the buck for one thing. Even though my dad could buy a E55, it doesn't make sense to do so if you like something more that costs less. Another thing is that the way Benz engine bays are built these days, 10 years down the road they are going to be serious PITA's to work on, not to mention all the electronic doo-dads. Also, MB won't sell the service CD's to the public for new cars any more (I believe they don't start to sell the service CD's until 12 years after the car came out, though that number may be a bit inaccurate). Also, MB has put too much trust in electronics IMHO. Styling is another thing. I suppose it's just the whole package. To me, there is so much more to like about the SRT-8 than an E55 or BMW M5, and also I don't like the direction MB has gone in (yes, I know they are the same parent company). Modern (post-1992) MB's have gone towards this out of sight, out of mind philosophy: if the customer doesn't see it, then they don't think they should take the time/money to engineer it nicely. They also moved to 3 valves/cylinder from 4, and they have cut back on their high mileage rewards program. Granted most companies take an out of sight out of mind viewpoint (just look at the door latches on the SRT-8), that they are doing fine with 3 valves, and that nobody else even has a high mileage rewards program, but it just shows a trend in a direction I am opposed to.

#20 · (Edited)
II kings 9:20 said:
Price is the problem here, the two cars really can't be compared. Would you pay nearly double the money to get a Murcielago over a GT40? No, not even if I win stupid money in the lottery.
You are very correct II kings! I feel the same way... But it surprises me that my final list to buy was still quite varied:

1. E55AMG
2. STS-V
3. CTS-V
4. 300C AWD
5. BMW 5
6. BMW M5
7, SRT-8

So why is this? Why do guys like me compare a M5, and E55AMG to the 8 for goodness sake? These cars are definately not comparable to one another by size, price, options, etc. But still for some reason these were my choices. I guess the answer may lie in the fact that I just had the flexibility to look at a wide range. Maybe some people cannot or do not want such a wide range.....

So as far as the SRT-8 goes, I prefer to pocket the extra $35K difference I save. Bottom line, the 8 seems to try to combine the features of all the cars above all in one product, at a price you cannot beat. Like your dad, marlinspike, just because I have the money to buy a M5 or an E55, does not mean I am willing to pass on the price savings an 8 offers.....

But at one point, although I was seriously considering a Mercedes or a BMW....I began to consider even the Cadillac. Strange to be in a place to say that...if you would have told me five years ago I'd be considering buying American, I would have said you were crazy. Way to go Chrysler and Cadillac for giving me the option to buy American again!

#21 ·
Well I can tell you why I went for the 300C over the others. Sheet metal. Raw Bulk. Iron. Good old fashioned American (....err Canuck) Steel! I bought my C after totaling a rice rocket, in a head on collision, that cost about the same as the C. Let's see - less protection, less horse power, less prestige. Now you add the 8 to the mix and compare it to your list and I still take the 8 for all the same reasons.

Ray - still recovering...

CMYSRT8 said:
So why is this? Why do guys like me compare a M5, and E55AMG to the 8 for goodness sake? These cars are definately not comparable to one another by size, price, options, etc. But still for some reason these were my choices.

#22 ·
First300COwner said:
With the E55 you get what you pay for. You can't compare an E55 to an SRT-8. SRT-8 is a semi-luxury car that is faster then any other semi or full luxury car within 25k of it's price range.

The SRT-8 or 300C for that matter is still just a Chrysler and has that no frills feeling from time to time.

For the money, you can't get a better car all around as far as acceptable luxury, comfort, power, room, and styling.

The same goes for the E55 in its price range.

I end with this "if you can afford the E55 take it over the SRT-8" Simple :)

E55 hands down and ya you can't compare it to the SRT-8. Both are very different cars which target a different market. If you want to compare the E55 compare it to the M5 or the older Audi S6. If its a E55 vs. M5 vs. the Audi S6 I would take the M5. The older M5 (pre 2005) is one sexy car. If I had the money I would buy the new M5 which is amazing not including the exterior. By the way what year is the E55?

#24 ·
i comapred them

300Con23s said:
E55 hands down and ya you can't compare it to the SRT-8. Both are very different cars which target a different market. If you want to compare the E55 compare it to the M5 or the older Audi S6. If its a E55 vs. M5 vs. the Audi S6 I would take the M5. The older M5 (pre 2005) is one sexy car. If I had the money I would buy the new M5 which is amazing not including the exterior. By the way what year is the E55?

I compared them. depends on what you r starting point is for comaprison - fo rme it was sport sedan so it was the souped up German sedans, CTS-V, SRT-8, G35/Maxima, M45, TL, etc - essentially the sport sedan from each brand out there. And then it was what is the car "worth" - which is obviously pretty subjective - for me paying high 40's was worth it but not 90K for M5/E55.

Now if you start with the starting point of wanting to spend 40-55K on a car (sedan), then you have E350, 530i, CTS-V, STS, A6, GS400, M45, etc.

#25 ·
300Con23s said:

I never compared the E series with the SRT8, but I was looking at the M5 when I decided to buy the SRT8. I'm really a huge fan of the 6-series, but having my first child made me really consider a four door over a two. I really don't like anything the BMW has done with the new M5 from an exterior styling standpoint but the M6 has (in my opinion) got to be the coolest looking BMW ever, but the back seat shouldn't even exist in that car.

I've never driven the E series, but I have driven my friends CL55 AMG and that car is just out of control. Of course the CL is somewhere around $120,000 so to compare those cars would be pretty unfair considering the price and performance differences, but you would however compare the CL55 with the M5 or M6 from a price and a performance standpoint, which brings me full-circle back to the SRT8.

IMHO the SRT8 has the best combination of performance, styling and bang for the buck out there right now. For ANY four door car to impress a coupe lover like myself is quite a feat and exterior styling is the most important thing I look for in a car. I don't care if it's got a 7000hp engine, if it's ugly I just won't buy it. Second thing I look for is interior styling and comfort. Do I like my driving environment, or does the car make me feel disconnected from the road or uncomfortable to be in. Then I look under the hood and the big joke around here right now is "john just bought a motor and it just so happens come with a great car!!!!"

Cost was not a major factor when I started shopping for a car. I've been putting off buying a new car for about 10 years now ( I travel about 10 months out of the year ) and I'd actually been looking at several cars in the 80-100 grand price range, but I just couldn't justify the slight edge in 0-60 times or the fact that the hood emblem might say MERC or BEEMER. I don't plan on racing my car any time soon so who really cares if the other cars are a little faster. This car is a daily driver when I'm home and since i didn't spend $100 grand on a car I've got plenty of money left over to buy......an old Vette for a rebuild project.......a motorcycle.........or how about another SRT8 since I had a really hard time picking out the color!!!!!!!!!

I guess I'm the market that all of these companies try to sell a car to. I've been researching every car to come out on the market in the last three years, and I've test driven most of the cars i've really been interested in and I really don't think anybody else has been able to put the whole package together like DC has with the SRT8--IMHO!!!!

By the way...........I really love my car!!!!!! :banana: :banana: :banana: :silly:

#26 · (Edited)
goddardzilla said:
If collectability and depreciation are factors, then SRT8 should take the day.

Zilla
Wishful thinking. The 300C SRT-8 will not become a collectable unless they stop building them today. Especially, if they build 5000 plus units per year. Mercedes only built 500 per year of my E55 and it is not a collectable and very hard to get rid of.

WARNING TO SRT-8 DRIVERS! DON'T TAKE ON ANY NORMALLY ASPIRATED 1999-2002 E55'S (349HP) LIKE MINE TOO LIGHTLY. YEAH OFFICIALLY LISTED AT 5.4 SECONDS TO 60 - IT WILL DO IT IN 4.8!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.