Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

I have seen a lot of these easy 10 min installation performance chips for sale on ebay, claiming extra 10-25 MPG in fuel saving and as much as 70 extra HP.

Are these for real and if so how do they work and what is the best one to purchase?

I have a 2005 300 Touring with dual Cat back exhaust, K&N CAI (installing next week).

Thanks,
Rob

·
Registered
426 Posts
It's too good to be true, Because it is.

·
Administrator
23,436 Posts
Ain't it funny when the gas prices go up all the scammers come out in droves to harvest money off of suckers with their bogus gas saver claims.

Bernie

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wanna, would you say these 2 resistor chips helped? Would you recommend them and why did you use 2?

Thanks,
Rob

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
dude im pretty SURE he was being sarcastic

·
Administrator
23,436 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
LOL... Thx ....I was trying to be a bit more sarcastic.....

On a serious note, are there any real chip upgrades out there? I have seen some "JET" types in the $250 range. It seems the diablo programmer may give more bang though in the $350 range.

Rob

·
Premium Member
8,955 Posts

On a serious note, are there any real chip upgrades out there? I have seen some "JET" types in the $250 range. It seems the diablo programmer may give more bang though in the $350 range.

Rob

You just answered your own question.

Give yourself more credit.

Have fun with your Diablo! :arms:

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Wanna, would you say these 2 resistor chips helped? Would you recommend them and why did you use 2?

Thanks,
Rob

He was ABSOLUTELY being sarcastic to show how worthless the Ebay "super gas saver performance " chips are. His type of comedy, which I enjoy but most assuredly not a chip shot at you but more of the false performance items being advertised there.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts

Rob

Damn you guys are quick! I guess I type too slow....I need a chip from Ebay!

·
Premium Member
1,008 Posts
There is a post on the Diablo Forum about this, you should see the response to the question from the in-house guys over there!

·
Registered
491 Posts
Guys,

I have seen a lot of these easy 10 min installation performance chips for sale on ebay, claiming extra 10-25 MPG in fuel saving and as much as 70 extra HP.

Are these for real and if so how do they work and what is the best one to purchase?

I have a 2005 300 Touring with dual Cat back exhaust, K&N CAI (installing next week).

Thanks,
Rob

Snake oil!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I actually bought one, for 7 bucks I had to see.
It increased mileage 7mpg the first tank. It did run a lot better too. But after 3 weeks the computer had re calibrated everything, and I was back to original Mpg. Then I took it out and the next day the engine light came on!!
What do you expect for 7 Bucks?
Yea too good to be true. It just re adjusted the air temp sensor. Only a temporary deal till the computer re adjusts.

·
Registered
859 Posts
It increased mileage 7mpg the first tank. It did run a lot better too. But after 3 weeks the computer had re calibrated everything, and I was back to original Mpg. Then I took it out and the next day the engine light came on!!
What do you expect for 7 Bucks?
Yea too good to be true. It just re adjusted the air temp sensor. Only a temporary deal till the computer re adjusts.
All these "chips" are is a resistor that you can buy at your local Radio Shack
or other electronics place for less than 40 cents. Most of them are around
5K ohms.

This type of thing has been around for DECADES now, ever since cars came
out with computer controls on the air intakes and fuel maps.

The resistance is put inline with your Intake Aire Temperature wire to fool the
computer into thinking the incoming air is colder than it really is, and thus
adjusting the amount of fuel needed for air that is colder and more dense.

Does it work? You see the results with Wests post.

Once the computer adjusts the parameters for air intake, it will adjust to
basically void this extra resistance.

Jim

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have thought about that. I keep it in my ashtray and could do it, maybe if I go on a long trip and need the extra few bucks.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts