Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys, I would like some input from you guys.

i recently purchased some 22 inch DS01 (dropstars) from a dealer in the US. the wheels I ordered were 18 offset.

i recieved an email today saying they had sent me 38 offset wheels as some 300c's use this type, but just in case:dead1: they put an adapter with the wheels. now I rang bob jane Tmart and they tell me it is illegal to install wheels in queensland with an adapter or spacer.

the seller says this is rubbish and the wheels even with the adapter are completly legal and safe to use.

just wanting to see if any one has any feedback about this.

I have let the seller know I am pissed off and will probably request a full refund or exchange.

thanks Dan (sorry just a bit frustrated)

p.s - good price though (HA, HA, HA)

·
Premium Member
5,268 Posts
In the US spacers or adaptors are acceptable in the US and that is why the dealer probably cannot understand your dissatisfaction.

Give them a hard time. They shouldn't have changed the specification without telling you before they shipped.

·
Premium Member
299 Posts
Spacers are Illegal in most states in Oz.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
They are correct about spacers beings illegal in QLD plus I wouldn't expect to see your insurance company come running to help you if you crash your car also, here is a few pics when my brothers spacer failed on his Ferrari, something you would not want to experience in a lifetime I would imagine.

Have a read of this info below mate on page 11, might be worth sending him a copy. Hope it gets sorted out

**Click me**QLD Transport Modifications**

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
Spacers place the wheel out further, therefore making the wheel stud carry more load than it was engineered to carry
(qoute.Third century B.C., the Greek scientist Archimedes could awe listeners by saying "give me a place to stand and a lever long enough, and I will move the Earth". )
When spacers are used it also means the wheel nut has less thead to hold on to.
Insist you either get a refund, or the correct wheels are sent to you.
not only are they illegal here, but can also be very dangerous. As WogBoy has shown.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Just to play Devil's advocate, wouldn't it be fair to say the seller sent you wheels that are legal? I'm assuming you bought off ebay.com and not .com.au and the dealer was marketing to the US market and as such he had no way of knowing the legality of the wheels outside the US. Wouldn't it be up to the buyer to check the local legality of ANY product bought online?

I'm not saying what I've said is correct; just posing a possible argument and I'd be very happy to be proven wrong.

·
Registered
116 Posts
close, he still has a white Magna. What makes you ask mate?
knew a greek fella last name Papas who owned a VR4 some years ago, licence plate was PAP550, i though similar number plate might be same person? just thought i'd ask.

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
Just to play Devil's advocate, wouldn't it be fair to say the seller sent you wheels that are legal? I'm assuming you bought off ebay.com and not .com.au and the dealer was marketing to the US market and as such he had no way of knowing the legality of the wheels outside the US. Wouldn't it be up to the buyer to check the local legality of ANY product bought online?

I'm not saying what I've said is correct; just posing a possible argument and I'd be very happy to be proven wrong.
At the end of the day what was ordered was not what was recieved, regardless of legalities.
The buyer has specifically ordered rims and different rims to what was ordered were supplied.
Image ordering a Silver 300c, only to have the dealer say, we have got you a white one, but here is some silver spray cans if you really need to have a silver one!
I know that would never happen:worried: and that is an exadurated example but the principle is the same.

·
Registered
174 Posts
At the end of the day what was ordered was not what was recieved, regardless of legalities.
The buyer has specifically ordered rims and different rims to what was ordered were supplied.
Image ordering a Silver 300c, only to have the dealer say, we have got you a white one, but here is some silver spray cans if you really need to have a silver one!
I know that would never happen:worried: and that is an exadurated example but the principle is the same.
Ok, I just re read the original post and realised I missed where he said he ordered 18 offset and got 38 instead. I should learn to read properly.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hey guys what you are saying is exactly what i was thinking.

i definantly ordered the right set, the seller tells me they didn't realise it was the wrong set until the last minute, but the fact they knew and didn't change it is just plain wrong.

i have sent another email to them requesting them to come up with a solution either a refund or exchange (neither at my expense) so will keep you informed.

I was overly cautious about selecting seller and all that stuff but goes to show you can never be to carefull. hopefully it works out but does give you the sh#ts when you have paid almost $2000 for the wrong wheel

dan

·
Registered
30 Posts
They do have ALL WHEEL DRIVE 300's in the States,maybe the mixup was there.
I had a simular problem buying the leather for my PT,Katzkins offer a kit for the European market but when you get them and they don't fit properly,they tell you they dont cater for right hand drive

·
Premium Member
1,290 Posts
not good mate, sometimes it's just better to go into a shop look and touch what you want, you may pay a little more but your certain to have the right product

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
not good mate, sometimes it's just better to go into a shop look and touch what you want, you may pay a little more but your certain to have the right product
yeah I am begining to agree steve, I will wait and see what they do next but hopefully they do the right thing.

They do have ALL WHEEL DRIVE 300's in the States,maybe the mixup was there.
I had a simular problem buying the leather for my PT,Katzkins offer a kit for the European market but when you get them and they don't fit properly,they tell you they dont cater for right hand drive
no they knew they sent the wrong ones thats why they sent a spacer/adapter...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts