Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so... i get home from work this evening. get the mail, walk into the house.... and my car starts beeping. assumed i accidentally hit the panic button, go outside, yet can not turn the alarm off (any button or combo)?

then manually unlock the door get in and try the iginition.... no go once again?

open the manual.... see the recommended method of the unlock button, still beeping?

try the ignition again... no go?

read some more, try buttons and finally the ignition once again.... wallah, the alarm stopped.

figuring i am just an idiot and it was a long day in the office.... i go back in the house... then walk over to the neighbor to catch a few minutes of the game. on my walk back home, i notice the interior light on in the car? i get the key and the unlock button will not work? open manually and notice the radio is on and the dash panel is going nuts.... all while i have the keys in my hand and they have been out of the car for a couple of hours?

try the ignition trick again and WHOA.... the car remains running for up to a minute after the key is turned off and removed from the ignition!??!?

now the headlights are intermittently going on and off, the doors unlocking and locking, and the dash lights going to town?

obviously a short somewhere....it is late and i need sleep, so i go into the trunk to disco the battery.... low and behold, the cubby hole where the battery and spare co-exist is three or so inches deep in water???

a leak and the last rain storm did it's trick.

so....what kind of damage do you guys think i have? want to take bets? i guess it could be anywhere between a few buck for a tow, a dry, and a weld or new weather strip to correct the leak.... all the way to a total loss?

i am sure that Chrysler will pick up the tab.... i have not been in an accident, so the car should not leak.... and i guess if they don't cover it, my insurance will.

·
Administrator
3,667 Posts
Wow, abendx, weird story! You didn't name your car 'Christine' by any chance, did you? I have no idea what you might expect, have never heard a similar story, but by all means keep us posted on the outcome. With any luck, it will be the least amount of damage, with the least amount of downtime and covered by warranty! Here's hoping!! :)

·
Registered
268 Posts
hmmm.. water?

Now why the dickens is water going in there? another thing for us experimental rats to endure?
jaydee

·
Premium Member
3,262 Posts
Man, did you also see Rod Serling standing in the driveway giving a monologue???

You bet I'm checking my trunk in the morning. (Its dark here now)

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
:yikes: Yikes...that's bad news. I just hope that it's an isolated incident and that your dealer will have a permanent 'fix' for the problem. I too hope that it won't cost you anything and hopefully it'll be covered under warranty...please keep us updated. :umbrella:

·
Premium Member
1,151 Posts
jaydee said:
Now why the dickens is water going in there? another thing for us experimental rats to endure?
jaydee

Yeah, I want to know where this leak was.

·
Registered
227 Posts
short/water

abendx said:
so... i get home from work this evening. get the mail, walk into the house.... and my car starts beeping. assumed i accidentally hit the panic button, go outside, yet can not turn the alarm off (any button or combo)?

then manually unlock the door get in and try the iginition.... no go once again?

open the manual.... see the recommended method of the unlock button, still beeping?

try the ignition again... no go?

read some more, try buttons and finally the ignition once again.... wallah, the alarm stopped.

figuring i am just an idiot and it was a long day in the office.... i go back in the house... then walk over to the neighbor to catch a few minutes of the game. on my walk back home, i notice the interior light on in the car? i get the key and the unlock button will not work? open manually and notice the radio is on and the dash panel is going nuts.... all while i have the keys in my hand and they have been out of the car for a couple of hours?

try the ignition trick again and WHOA.... the car remains running for up to a minute after the key is turned off and removed from the ignition!??!?

now the headlights are intermittently going on and off, the doors unlocking and locking, and the dash lights going to town?

obviously a short somewhere....it is late and i need sleep, so i go into the trunk to disco the battery.... low and behold, the cubby hole where the battery and spare co-exist is three or so inches deep in water???

a leak and the last rain storm did it's trick.

so....what kind of damage do you guys think i have? want to take bets? i guess it could be anywhere between a few buck for a tow, a dry, and a weld or new weather strip to correct the leak.... all the way to a total loss?

i am sure that Chrysler will pick up the tab.... i have not been in an accident, so the car should not leak.... and i guess if they don't cover it, my insurance will.
@ months ago my benz wouldn't start, had to have it towed to the dealer.To make a loooooong story short,the rear hatch had been slightly sprung ( daughter shopping) and was loaded with water.Shorted out all aspects as well as both computer systems ( battery is in trunk as well).Only 38,000 miles but since it hadn't experienced this before, was considered " abuse" not design flaw. The bottom line was 0ver $2,400.00 out of pocket and that was only with 1 computer chip key.I have since made sure that the seal on both of the trunk lids are tight.
Depending on the warrantee factors that you have, I would strongly recommend that you have your Dealer tech inspect the seal ( in your presence), perhaps you can be more fortunate than I was and have it picked up due to " an improperly tight fit seal".BTW the insurance won't cover it unless you have flood insurance and your car was compromised ( my agent kind of laughed at me when I gave it a shot.At any rate, keep me, as well as the rest of us updated on your progress.I hope that my info will be able to at least put you in the right direction.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ugh... that is not good news. i don't recall having left the trunk open (ajar) at all. so i hope they don't come back and try and tell me anything like that.

anyhow... the dealer has the car now and i hope to hear from them later today. it was sad seeing my car taken away on a flatbed.

Attachments

·
Registered
252 Posts
i had a weird situation with the trunk on my car. during the last hurricane i had checked outside the window about 45 minutes prior to the hurricane making land fall and my trunk had somehow come open. i dont know if the strong winds had done it or if something had been flying around in the storm made the trunk open. luckily i saw it before the hurricane passed through or i would have probably had a similar problem. i hope they find the can find the location of your leak and fix it and also take care of the electrical problems. best of luck :wave:

·
Registered
227 Posts
short/water

abendx said:
ugh... that is not good news. i don't recall having left the trunk open (ajar) at all. so i hope they don't come back and try and tell me anything like that.

anyhow... the dealer has the car now and i hope to hear from them later today. it was sad seeing my car taken away on a flatbed.
Just make sure that "after you get it back from the dealer" , for obvious reasons,make sure that the trunk isn't sprung.It doesn't have to be left ajar to cause this !!! If the trunk is kinda forced down with an oversized load in it, or simply something sticking over,it can cause the latch to slightly bend compromising the seal of the weather stripping allowing water to enter.A good way to DIY is to apply white lithium grease to the weather stripping and gently close the trunk.Then open it and check the transfer of the grease to the opposing side.If you have gaps -- you have problems.The white lithium will wipe off very easily & it doesn't hurt to lubricate the stripping anyways.
I hope that your Dealers Tech.is not as through as mine was and will consider it to be an inherent design flaw.Once again good luck.

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
I smell shoddy design. Aren't trunks supposed to be designed with water channels so that when you open the door the water slides down them and doesn't fall into the trunk?

You'd think those same channels would ensure this doesn't happen.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well.... got a call (message) from the dealership. they have ordered new computers for the car as they are shot from water damage (he said computers.... are there more than one?)... something about the water running up the pvc? he is hoping that will correct the electrical problems and said that it would be then off to the body shop so they could figure out where it is leaking from and decide what interior parts needed to be replaced due to the water damage (a lot of the trunk material was moist to the touch).

seems like they are not going to give me trouble over this....

·
Registered
482 Posts
abendx

Car:
Trim:
Member Number: 483
Location: Oxnard, CA well.... got a call (message) from the dealership. they have ordered new computers for the car as they are shot from water damage (he said computers.... are there more than one?)... something about the water running up the pvc? he is hoping that will correct the electrical problems and said that it would be then off to the body shop so they could figure out where it is leaking from and decide what interior parts needed to be replaced due to the water damage (a lot of the trunk material was moist to the touch).

seems like they are not going to give me trouble over this....

Yea, seems to me that there are something like 11 computers in these cars, I may be wrong, there may be more.
Nice to here that they are treating right on this thing. I live in the Great Pacific Northwett. I better take a good look at mine, when the wife gets home with it.

·
Premium Member
3,262 Posts
Glad to hear you are on your way to getting your ride back! Keep us posted.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
There are water channels that work well, open the trunk and pour water on the rear window none will enter the trunk. Same trick with the trukk "popped" open and pour water on the trunk, it will spill into the gap and run on the underside of the trunk edge and into the trunk (cohesive tension of water, same thing that makes it run down the outside of a glass if you pour slowly). The white lithium as mentioned is a good test, there is either some gaposis or OMG the trunk was "popped" in a rain storm. Do you have your key programmed to pop the trunk with one click or two, if one then it could happen with the fob in your pocket.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i didn't even know you could pop it with two? everytime i have gone to open the trunk, it has been closed....

1 - 20 of 29 Posts