Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are some pics of the catch can I just finished. I bought an Elite catch can from a member here about a month ago. Didn't realize the Elite catch cans have 3/8" fittings and the SRT uses 1/2". So I finally found a 3/8"-1/2" coupler. So if anyone else needs these let me know. I could ship a couple to you for a few bucks to cover postage and the envelope (not trying to make money on them, just don't need a bag of them). Here are pics...

·
Registered
859 Posts
Why did you buy an entire bag of them?

Places like Homedepot, Lowes and Pepboys sell these things seperately,
where you can buy just one.

I made up my own catch-can for my 1985 Jeep CJ-7 last year using
some black PVC pipe and caps for the catch-can body, and I bought the
hose couplings from Homedepot, and I was able to get just the two I needed,
and they were sold seperately.

Just curious.

Jim

·
Premium Member
4,068 Posts
What is that mounted to to keep it up like that? I like that better than where the BT can mounts up, I feel like I am cooking my IAT sensor on hot days when I'm running the A/C and then the car is lethargic from a dig because it's pulling so much timing.

You may as well take off that mount for the intake silencer hanging off of your water pump bolt.

Eric

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've looked at Home Depot, Lowes, Do-it-center, wal-mart and so on for a 3/8"-1/2" coupler and couldn't find one. Plus the similar fittings are about $4 each. I found this whole bag on ebay for about $15 shipped so it was no big deal. That's why I'll ship 2 or however many for $2-$3 just to cover the minimal cost...

I actually bought it off Cam from Lxforums. He must have made up the bracket. I can ask him if you want some info on it, gotta go now, but I can email him later...

I don't want to lose that silencer bracket. I know, it looks lame.

·
Registered
122 Posts
What are the advantages/disadvantages to the catch can??

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It catches some of the oil that passes through the pcv system. Eric posted his results a few weeks ago (its his fault I decided I needed one). After about 3000 miles he had a couple onces trapped in his catch can. That oil collects in the manifold and just contributes to gumming up the valves, pistons and so on.

·
Premium Member
4,068 Posts
I don't want to lose that silencer bracket. I know, it looks lame.
I'm not saying throw it away or anything, just take it off and keep it with the stock intake. Show more HEMI :)

Eric

·
Premium Member
4,068 Posts

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm not saying throw it away or anything, just take it off and keep it with the stock intake. Show more HEMI :)

Eric
To solve your problem of relocating your Catch can you could reinstall your intake silencer braket with a hole drilled on the end. Then mount your can to the end moving it far enough away from the IAT sensor.

Maybe when I do my cam install I'll leave that braket off.

·
Premium Member
4,068 Posts
To solve your problem of relocating your Catch can you could reinstall your intake silencer braket with a hole drilled on the end. Then mount your can to the end moving it far enough away from the IAT sensor.

Maybe when I do my cam install I'll leave that braket off.
Good idea. I was thinking about drilling into the other intake tube AFE sent me, moving the IAT sensor to the bend of the tube and then filling in the original hole with something. Hmmmmm

Eric

·
Premium Member
7,787 Posts
notes

just a brief note to remember, a lot of the catch can droppings are a result of your oil being too volatile.

The vaporization of the oil is a huge variable from brand to brand. Might want to consider changing your oil instead.

·
Premium Member
4,068 Posts
Interesting thought, anyone with a catch can using Royal Purple or AMSOIL willing to share results. I just use Mobil 1, either 0W40 or 5W40 turbo diesel. I cannot tell much of a difference, the turbo diesel may be a little better and I add less when I use it instead of the 0W40. Not talking a lot or anything, but 1/2 to a full quart of 0W40 per oil change interval, rarely have to add turbo diesel. I change every 3000 miles...I know, totally wasting money but whatever. If it gets dirty, it's gone.

Eric

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've been using the Mobil 1 15w-50 fully syn for about a year now. I go about 3,000-3,500 between changes and don't use more than a few ounces. I never add between changes. Also, no supercharger whine...

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I dont have a catch can, but after seeing all this stuff on the forum about them i think i will (thanks eric) lol. I do use amsoil and mobil1 and i have noticed that I use more mobil 1 between oil changes then amsoil.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts