Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, the dealer replaced my Rotors and pads because of a warping issue. This was done under warranty. Ever since then I have noticed that my brake light comes on occassionaly and tonight the brakes were on and I did not notice until I stopped and the cabin filled up with a horrible smell. Turns out the brakes were on and I released the brake with the handle. NO I DID NOT LEAVE THE E BRAKE ON. I rarely if at all use it. Has anyone experience their brakes being on without setting the brake?

·
Premium Member
6,091 Posts
Actually, it is pretty common over the years. Mine does it about twice a month.... many think it might be us inadvertently hitting the brake with our foot... it is only on a little bit, but enough to do what it did to you. Unless you have a new issue, I would almost bet it's that..... not sure why it started now, maybe it was an adjustment done during your brake job or just coincidence

I'll look around for some others....

·
Premium Member
6,091 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,265 Posts
Okay, the dealer replaced my Rotors and pads because of a warping issue. This was done under warranty. Ever since then I have noticed that my brake light comes on occassionaly and tonight the brakes were on and I did not notice until I stopped and the cabin filled up with a horrible smell. Turns out the brakes were on and I released the brake with the handle. NO I DID NOT LEAVE THE E BRAKE ON. I rarely if at all use it. Has anyone experience their brakes being on without setting the brake?
This happens to me frequently on my SRT8. I'll leave the car without setting the parking brake and, when I come back and start to drive away, the chime sounds and the light indicates the parking brake is set. I pull the release and hear it click slightly. It seems that I must be brushing against the parking brake pedal as I exit the car and it's engaging by 1 or 2 clicks. It's annoying, but the chime prevents me from cooking the brakes. Now, if I had the stereo blasting all the time, I might not notice.

It's been annoying enough to remember about when I read your post, but not annoying enough to bring to the attention of the dealer. Perhaps I should put it on the list. Has anyone else had a successful adjustment made that eliminated this issue?

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
This happens to me frequently on my SRT8. I'll leave the car without setting the parking brake and, when I come back and start to drive away, the chime sounds and the light indicates the parking brake is set. I pull the release and hear it click slightly. It seems that I must be brushing against the parking brake pedal as I exit the car and it's engaging by 1 or 2 clicks. It's annoying, but the chime prevents me from cooking the brakes. Now, if I had the stereo blasting all the time, I might not notice.

It's been annoying enough to remember about when I read your post, but not annoying enough to bring to the attention of the dealer. Perhaps I should put it on the list. Has anyone else had a successful adjustment made that eliminated this issue?

Yours has a chime? :S i have an 05 300C and i dont have a chime which i found to be stupid. Is there a setting to get it to work?

·
Premium Member
6,091 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,265 Posts
Yours has a chime? :S i have an 05 300C and i dont have a chime which i found to be stupid. Is there a setting to get it to work?
My 300C 5.7 was an early 2005 model and my 2006 300C SRT8 was a late 2006 model. So it's possible the chime became standard a year later. Or it's possible the SRT8 got some extra bonus features. Or, there may be some hidden setting that I unknowingly set or my dealer set up. Not sure. I didn't do anything specific to make the chime work and I don't recall reading about it in the manual. Without that chime, I'm pretty sure I wold have smoked my parking brake too!

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
My 300C 5.7 was an early 2005 model and my 2006 300C SRT8 was a late 2006 model. So it's possible the chime became standard a year later. Or it's possible the SRT8 got some extra bonus features. Or, there may be some hidden setting that I unknowingly set or my dealer set up. Not sure. I didn't do anything specific to make the chime work and I don't recall reading about it in the manual. Without that chime, I'm pretty sure I wold have smoked my parking brake too!
This is going to be something im gonna have to look into. Im always careful and make sure i release the brake but ive seen other ppl get into my car and forget (family and stealerships), I find myself hovering over them to make sure they release it :twak:

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
I have a 05 limited and have the same problem.One night my wife came home i smelled the brakes from inside my house and of course i was blaming her for hitting the emergency brake and not turning it off.She told me she never came close to the brake that night and i didnt believe her.So the next day i took the car and guess what it happend to me leaving work i started to smell the brakes and i know i didnt touch the emergency brake at all.So i went home and appoligized to my wife again.I guess i go to the dealer and ask why the brake is setting itself.I am not going to let the dealer touch my car because i can only imagine what they will charge me for just looking at it,just want to see if anybody else came in with the same problem.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Dont know if this will help but, I took my car in once asking why the parking brake was "loose", the tech told me that they are self adjusting and that all you need to do is apply it, release, apply, release, apply, release until you get the desired level of strength. I've noticed since then that when I release the brake, if I pull the handle out far enough and hold for about 5 secs the brake goes back to being loose. So this may help you guys if yours are tight, does for me.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the input guys, nice to know that I am not crazy...well at least in concern of this issue.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Hey Rob, I just got my VIP roof spoiler in the mail (I saw it wsa on your wish list) and going to install next weekend. If you're around, I could maybe use your help installing it. Let me know if you're available.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts