Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone having an issue with the emergency brake light indicator coming on every now and then (and no I didnt apply the emergency brake :) )

I pointed this out to Chrysler dealership and the guy said the indicator light is used for other things like brake fluid so they topped it off. Uh, considering I told him it goes off when I hit the release lever I think he was full of it.

Sounds to me like the emergency brake needs to be adjusted and will have them check it out again at next checkup. Another guy with a 300c had same problem so wondering if others might have same problem.
 

·
BLOODY ADMENSTRUATOR
Joined
·
7,554 Posts
There have been a few posts on this. It is very sensitive. If you just brush the lever with your knee, it will light up. Mine was like that new, but the problem went away on its own.

As to your service advisor, sounds like he's sniffin' brake fluid.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
265 Posts
Topping your brake fluid level is actually a bad thing to do, as the pads on your car wear out the pistons sit farther out from the caliper and require more fluid to push them out farther... The fluid level is designed so that when the brakes are in need of pad replacement that the level has dropped far enough, there is a float in the tank that lights up your brake light on your dash.... Indicating it's time to replace your pads.... Doesn't work well though when people keep topping off that fluid... Then when you press the pistons back in you get fluid running out and down on the floor...

If the fluid does get low, you should be asking WHY instead of just topping it off anyways.. =)

Hmm, sorry for the rant, I just helped a friend with his brakes the other day and as we pressed the calipers down I noticed a big puddle forming under his car, and he had been "topping" off..... =\
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
272 Posts
HaTaX said:
Topping your brake fluid level is actually a bad thing to do, as the pads on your car wear out the pistons sit farther out from the caliper and require more fluid to push them out farther... The fluid level is designed so that when the brakes are in need of pad replacement that the level has dropped far enough, there is a float in the tank that lights up your brake light on your dash.... Indicating it's time to replace your pads.... Doesn't work well though when people keep topping off that fluid... Then when you press the pistons back in you get fluid running out and down on the floor...

If the fluid does get low, you should be asking WHY instead of just topping it off anyways.. =)

Hmm, sorry for the rant, I just helped a friend with his brakes the other day and as we pressed the calipers down I noticed a big puddle forming under his car, and he had been "topping" off..... =\
interesting view, i havent thought of that aspect. henceforth i shall be be more cautious.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
I've had the same problem, then I noticed that my foot sometimes hits the EB pedal when I get in the car. So much for big feet!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
170 Posts
I'm seeing this on my 300C and my Pacifica. Very odd.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
I have the same problem---and it is a bit annoying---still happenning w/ 5000 mi.
I am wondering if it would help to press..release..press..release the emergency brake a few times to stretch the cable? I never ever use it...
 

·
BLOODY ADMENSTRUATOR
Joined
·
7,554 Posts
Chaseme973 said:
I have the same problem---and it is a bit annoying---still happenning w/ 5000 mi.
I am wondering if it would help to press..release..press..release the emergency brake a few times to stretch the cable? I never ever use it...
Use it.You don't want the system siezing up. I use mine and I think that's why it is not as sensitive now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
265 Posts
The switch for the brake light is right at the lever, it senses when the brake lever leaves the "home" spot up at the top, hence stretching the cable won't change the light coming on, but moving the lever back and forth may help the switch to work itself into postion.

It's always a good idea to use the E-Brake on at least a monthly basis for the reason that Northern Rider pointed out, you don't want it to sieze... I use it whenever I park on an incline to keep the weight off the tranny..

Come to a stop, push the e-brake down, put the car in nuetral, let off the foot brake so the car is held by the e-brake, and THEN put it in park.. I always cringe when I take an automatic car out of park when it's been on a hill and it has that clunk sound.. =\
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys for some good pointers. HaTaX, I will forward your rant in person to my Chrysler rep. ;) Thought his logic was pretty stupid.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
265 Posts
LOL! I feel like everyone that owns a Chrysler is in a continual uphill battle with the service dept sometimes... I have one here that is GREAT! And I always goto them, I bought my car at a different dealer and when I asked about getting a more up to date NAV disc for my car, their parts dept told me that they were made for each VIN number and that they were NOT interchangeable, I then called them back when I foudn out not only were they blowing smoke on that one, but that the discs can be excahnged between the REC and the RB1 systems. I did it all at the dealer with the service department I liked, and their attitude was, "Hmm, dunno if it will work, want to find out?"

It's amazing the difference in some of the service departments between the dealers..

Let me know what they say!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
531 Posts
I too have the same problem in the c and in my benz ml 500 ...i would bet money on it its a problem for all daimler vehicles.....anyone with a maybach ???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
My brand new 300C (1,100 miles) right now has the same problem. I had a 300 Limited and I recently traded it in on a 300C. The Limited didn't have the problem, so my question is, is it the 300C's only. And actually as of yesterday it stopped. Well this is something that needs to be seriously addressed. Oh yeah I was thinking about purchasing the Maybach, so I'll let you know about the brake light when I do lol...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
My 300C just turned over 10,000 miles and I am also having the problem with the emergency brake light coming on. Thanks for the suggestions of using the emergency once a month. Maybe that will help stop the light from coming on.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
MMMINTL300C said:
The Limited didn't have the problem, so my question is, is it the 300C's only. ..
I have the same problem on my 300T. It's intermittent. Just every once in a while when I start up the brake light indicator comes on, even though the brake was not engaged. At first I thought I might have accidentally touched the brake while entering or leaving the car, but I now doubt that. Pulling the brake release lever turns off the light. I don't think it's a big deal, but there's something not working quite right. I intend to mention that to the service department next time I get an oil change.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top