Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First day, First Post. Howdy!

So I'm interested in getting the AWD to stay engaged. On icy roads the ass kicks out before the front grabs. Anyone know of any aftermarket setups? Can the AWD geartrain handle being 'locked in' all the time.

I own a 2013 300c hemi awd J.V. edition

Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
2014 CRD
1,648 Posts
Similar my 2013, AWD when wipers are on, when you lose traction and when temperature drops - 39 in my case for some reason

Have you watched the AWD in the EVIC to see how yours is behaving?

Also what tires are you running? Mine used to have the standard all weather Hankooks which were to put it nicely - useless, I could spin the wheels up on slippery ground even with the AWD engaged.

I replaced them last winter with a set of Falkens: Link. Soooo much better

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hey akhazmatt,

I also have a 2013 300c Hemi AWD and I "believe" you can force the car into AWD by tapping your Autostick left or right and essentially putting the tranny into manual shift mode.

If you switch the tranny back into automatic shift mode, I imagine the car will eventually switch back to 2WD unless it senses cold temps, wipers, or traction loss.

I will test my car this weekend and get back to you. Anybody else know?

FYI, I drive my car in Manual shift mode quite often in bad snow. I'm old school (yea, yea I know...) and I don't like any computer shifting my car on slippery roads. I prefer to find a manual gear that's a little lower than what Mr computer wants to choose and then I drive at a steady speed with no shifting. Seems to work well for me on snowy slippery roads.

Hope it helps,
Norp

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I’m curious about it coming on when under 40 degrees, I’ve heard this before, it’s not what mine does, wonder if there is a upgrade program that includes this. I’ve tried the manual shift to engage like the owners manual says but it still doesn’t engage until I get wheel slip. I’ll go out again and try what you’ve said and give a more detailed list of what it does and doesn’t do. I was hoping the ‘AWD’ would keep me from having to get more aggressive winter tires.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I’m curious about it coming on when under 40 degrees, I’ve heard this before, it’s not what mine does, wonder if there is a upgrade program that includes this. I’ve tried the manual shift to engage like the owners manual says but it still doesn’t engage until I get wheel slip. I’ll go out again and try what you’ve said and give a more detailed list of what it does and doesn’t do. I was hoping the ‘AWD’ would keep me from having to get more aggressive winter tires.
I believe my takes 30 minutes above 40 before it will switch back to rwd. I'm not sure about the wipers, will definitely check next time it rains. Are you current on uconnect updates? Not sure if it matters??

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was able to do a little more troubleshooting. I've never looked at the dash to see the AWD lit up, I was just going by feel thinking it wasn't in AWD. So it has been under 40 degrees this whole time so I cannot say it turns off but it does say AWD all the time. However the issue is still the same, you can get the rear end loose on ice and actually feel something change. I thought it was the AWD engaging but maybe it is the traction control slowing down the rear axle? I guess AWD is not the same as 4WD. I'll try to get some more troubleshooting done.
Sorry to be so late in responding to everyone's help, been a little busy with work and the earthquake.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Old thread but there is an answer sort of. The answer is mostly no. There's two parts that need to engage for the front to get power. There's a front axle disconnect, and a clutch in the transfer case. When it's in AWD mode as you'll see one the dash the front axle is connected so it's ready to apply power. However it doesn't actually apply power to the front until the computer applies power to the clutch in the transfer case and that doesn't happen until it senses slip.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.