Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
NE1 with experience/comments on engine flush. I know for older cars esp. with a sludge issue it may be helpful to do an oil flush. A buddy swears by it even for newer cars every 20K or so. What say you?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
265 Posts
I don't do a flush, but I do put a half a quart of transmission fluid through the engine every other change and then run the motor (Don't rev it up!!) for about 4-5 minutes.. ATF is really high in detergents and does the same for cleaning it as a $7 bottle of seafoam in my opinion. And cheap atf can be had for $1.50.

Just my .02...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
625 Posts
Waste

II kings 9:20 said:
NE1 with experience/comments on engine flush. I know for older cars esp. with a sludge issue it may be helpful to do an oil flush. A buddy swears by it even for newer cars every 20K or so. What say you?
A complete waste of time and money on any car running synthetic oil. Just drain the old and fill the new. If it really was a good idea. Every mechanic would at least do it on his own car. I've never known any mechanic to do it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
268 Posts
hmmm

Dan, you are talking to purists here.. I would be very interested in knowing how one may do this procedure- synthetic or not, sludge does form and settles to the bottom/gravity dependent areas. Before this sludge becomes deeply entrenched, it may be a good idea to flush it out...

Jaydee
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,239 Posts
II kings 9:20 said:
What about a 5 year old car that has not had synthetic oil?

If you do not know the maintenance history, or suspect that the car has not been maintained as well as it should have been, then that MIGHT be a benefit. However I would tend to agree with the previous post about using some ATF rather than an engine flush product. ATF is very high in detergent but still has lubricating qualities. All the available "flushes" I have seen warn you to NOT drive the car, just let it idle, because that stuff thins out the oil so much. That would scare me off unless it is SO sludgy in there that you have no other choice.

When I rebuilt the engine in my GMC pickup, at 145,000 miles there was NO sludge buildup whatsoever; I had bought the truck with 69,000 miles on it and always used Valvoline 20w50 (used to live in a hotter climate!) and, (of course!) NapaGold Filters. But I changed oil every 2500 miles. I have no idea what was used for the first 69,000 miles.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good points KJ, I am going to give the ATF some thought guys. Here is one for you: Dexron II or Type F ATF.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
625 Posts
My Experience

I drove my '96 Q45 HARD for 182,000 miles. Mobil1 Synthetic 10w-30 from the factory and every 5,000 miles. I inadvertently tore out the oil pan on a roller coaster road (whoops) and wound up replacing the motor. At 182,000 miles the engine still ran perfectly and passed emmissions like a new car every time. I shifted at redline (6,500 rpm) constantly, had her over 100 mph pretty much every day, and managed to get her up to 154 mph once. When I replaced the motor, I dissected the old one for the hell of it. I was AMAZED! The entire inside of the motor was a honey gold color. No brown, no black, no sign of wear on any bearings anywhere. I knew then that I would never run anything but full synthetic ever again.

I change my oil every 3,000 miles in my SRT-8. That's about every 25 days. I know it is overkill but since it's part of the dealer service plan, and I want to be damned sure that if I ever do munch a motor, they can't say the car was not properly maintained. As soon as the warranty is up (at 100,000 miles) I'm going to change it every 5,000 miles.

Flush with anything? Not a chance.
Purist? Oh yeah.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
701 Posts
DanRealtor said:
I change my oil every 3,000 miles in my SRT-8. That's about every 25 days. I know it is overkill but since it's part of the dealer service plan, and I want to be damned sure that if I ever do munch a motor, they can't say the car was not properly maintained. As soon as the warranty is up (at 100,000 miles) I'm going to change it every 5,000 miles.

Flush with anything? Not a chance.
Purist? Oh yeah.
FWIW my service dept. said it's OK for me to go on the 6000 mile plan A after I asked specifically. But then I qualify formally: it's not hot or dusty here or extremely cold, my drive to work is over 10 miles mostly on freeway, etc. And the 8 uses synthetic.

For dino oil cars that qualify formally for plan A, the service guy still wants them to go on plan B. Something about all the hills here in Connecticut -- makes no sense at all, I'm along the coast!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
625 Posts
So what if?

So what if you had a catastrophic engine failure like this:


And then when DCX dissected your old motor they found an unapproved oil additive (tranny fluid from your flush). Then when they deny your warranty claim and try and stick you with the entire bill for the engine replacement, you get to singlehandedly take on DCX. You vs them and their lawyers, fine print, and deep pockets. Don't worry, I am sure in the interest of outstanding customer service they'd just let you slide. (amsoil flashback time).

Best of luck to the "Purists".
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
174 Posts
Hi guys I’m a new member here. I am an automotive tech for ford for the last 10 years and I have seen some horror stories with engine flushes. What happens is if you have a lot of sludge build up in your motor and you do a flush it loosens it up and it plugs up the screen in the oil pickup to the point that it restricts oil flow or completely stops it causing major engine problems. I have seen this more then once. So if you don’t know how bad it is I wouldn’t do it.:worried:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
265 Posts
II kings 9:20 said:
Good points KJ, I am going to give the ATF some thought guys. Here is one for you: Dexron II or Type F ATF.
Whichever is cheaper. :)
They both are high detergent and will be in there for about 5 minutes and then it goes to the local oil recycling depot......
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
265 Posts
DanRealtor said:
So what if you had a catastrophic engine failure like this:


And then when DCX dissected your old motor they found an unapproved oil additive (tranny fluid from your flush). Then when they deny your warranty claim and try and stick you with the entire bill for the engine replacement, you get to singlehandedly take on DCX. You vs them and their lawyers, fine print, and deep pockets. Don't worry, I am sure in the interest of outstanding customer service they'd just let you slide. (amsoil flashback time).

Best of luck to the "Purists".
Ouch! That little valve got it's world rocked...

I wouldn't do it to a really old car that you are not sure of it's service history for fear of moving all that sludge around. Best to take the pan down and clean it out before starting the flush treatments.

I've done it to pretty much every car I've ever owned and not had a problem, but to each their own. That's why we all had the same cars at the start and we've all put our choice of mods on them
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top