Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I've been a fan of the 300C, especially the SRT8 since it came out. So you can imagine how happy I was when I found out, that I have a chance of getting one.

Anyway so the one I'm looking at has misfiring at idle and the ABS light is on.
The ABS light and misfires MIGHT not be correlated, I'm currently trying to contact the owner for further info.

For the moment let's assume everything he said was right and the car only has misfires at idle. So I'm not interested in issues that has misfires during power etc.

Anyone had any similar issues or know wether this would be a HUGE problem or something fixable?

Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
Would you be able to get the Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC) from the owner?

·
Administrator
13,064 Posts
I agree...get the codes from the current owner. It may be a minor thing but it would be nice to know what is going on in that engine before you buy it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll ask him to read the codes for me, although I don't think many people in europe have that, and I'm 2 countries away from the car, so I can't do it myself, until I travel there (which I only plan on after finding out that the car is worth it).
Without having the codes could you guys give me a list of faults it might be? I know sometimes it's even hard to analyse a car with the fault codes, but I'm just interested in ideas. Tbh even if it's something bigger, but still repairable, I might be interested in the car.

·
Registered
2014 CRD
1,505 Posts
ABS light is often just a wheel sensor (can be much more of course), codes will tell you and not very likely to be connected to poor running. Sensors are cheap(ish) : Link

Misfire you really need codes. Can be everything from a bad plug or coil pack all the way to the hemi lifter problem or an internal engine thing

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
The North American versions of the SRT8 have on-board diagnostics available in the dashboard display via the "key dance". Perhaps the owner could use this feature (if available in the European version) to help him sell the car?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The North American versions of the SRT8 have on-board diagnostics available in the dashboard display via the "key dance". Perhaps the owner could use this feature (if available in the European version) to help him sell the car?
Yeah I've seen that method on YT. I'll try to let him know about it. On the pictures the car was in miles, but the speedo was km/h and the EVIC was in german, so not sure if it'll work.

ABS light is often just a wheel sensor (can be much more of course), codes will tell you and not very likely to be connected to poor running. Sensors are cheap(ish) : Link

Misfire you really need codes. Can be everything from a bad plug or coil pack all the way to the hemi lifter problem or an internal engine thing
Yeah I've had my fair bit of problems with sensors on my W140 S500 as well. Let's hope it's just that, but like I said, even if it's something bigger, but still repairable, it's not a dealbreaker for me.

Bad plug or coils would mean the car would always have misfires, but this one only has it at idle. Everything works fine at speed.
A friend of mine told me it might be a burnt valve, in case it's just 1 cylinder misfiring, which would be relatively cheap to fix. That'd explain why it has misfiring only at idle. (1 of his friends had that issue but with a different car)

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
I think anyone who is driving an SRT8 is more of an automobile enthusiast and may already know about the 'key dance' method of getting the DTC's from the display cluster. Some form of it has been around the industry for 30+ years! The codes themselves are probably pretty generic.
All you gotta do is ask.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ofcourse and I will, but from the pictures, what I can tell is that it's not a private owner but a dealer, so it's possible he doesn't know. Anyway hopefully I'll get the codes and I'll get back. Thanks for your help so far guys.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts