Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after I run the car a little hard when I pull into my driveway I notice this whining noise coming from the engine bay. I will try to explain as best as I can!

Its definitely related to RPM but only at low end between 1000 - 2000. It sounds like an electric can opener! How about that for a description? So its basically at idle.

If I give the gas peddle a quick rev it goes away. I have mentioned this to the dealer and of course it is never making the noise when I get their nor do they ever hear it when they do a test drive, and you know those guys smash the peddle because I would!

So, anyone else experience this noise or have a similar noise from the engine after smashing the gas??

Senior Guys help please???

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
you check your intake, maybe its loose?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Everything is good there. This almost sounds belt/fan related like the noise corresponds to that movement.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Is it kinda like a supercharger whine? Mine did it, and two of my friend's srt8s did it. My one friend did the same thing that I did and its gone. I switched to the Mobil 1 Fully synthetic 15w-50 and its quiet now. My other friend is going to do it soon. There's a TSB if you're in a warm area it will make an oil squirter noise (the technical name for it).

·
Registered
186 Posts
It is the oil squirters that spray oil on the pistons. Switch to 15W50 and it will stop. It is a normal sound though, no cause for concern

·
Registered
411 Posts
Is it kinda like a supercharger whine? Mine did it, and two of my friend's srt8s did it. My one friend did the same thing that I did and its gone. I switched to the Mobil 1 Fully synthetic 15w-50 and its quiet now. My other friend is going to do it soon. There's a TSB if you're in a warm area it will make an oil squirter noise (the technical name for it).
Mine just started this recently too. It's funny, because I said the same thing. It's sounds like the whine of a supercharger at idle...

·
Premium Member
4,395 Posts
A lot of you guys are new around here, but if you do a search on "engine whine" on the SRT you will find ass loads of information. Go way back in the dates. Topfuel and Bugzsrt are right - Bottom line, there is nothing wrong and it comes from the oil squirters. There is a TSB that has you change the oil weight...which really does not work.

Now stop whining...just kidding lol.

·
Premium Member
7,787 Posts
yessir!

Yep, as usual the Moosester is right on the mark.

BTW, my car has done this BAD since day one. We used to think it was a belt/idler/pulley deal, but even the 50 weight oil doesn't shut it up, it just changes it slightly.

Get used to it. It's a permanent feature of this engine design.

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
Told the same thing here....unfortunately they had already put 0w40 in it....oh well next time!

·
Registered
771 Posts
Used the 15w50 last summer and a few weeks back put it in again. It has worked for me to almost eliminate the whine!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts