Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ny car is in for 1st service right now, 12500 miles in 5 months and 1 week :(

anyhow i asked them this afternoon what oil they were going to be putting in it, and assumed he would say a fully synthetic oil, but he didnt he said a semi-synthetic because the fully synthetic one was too thin (or maybe it was too thick, i cant remember).

anyhow i wasnt sure about this, but he sounded so confident, he said they put fully synthetic in some of the petrol engines.

was he right ?, i cant check my owners manual as they have it to stamp the service.

hoping to hear

elpirata

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks mr lambo,

oh dear I sense a row coming on, it seems according to wikipedia that this engine OM642 needs to have oil that meets specification MB 229.51, i guess I will have to get them to prove it to me tommorrow.

it costs a lot of money, it would be nice to have the right one

regards

elpirata

·
Registered
2006 CRD Touring
3,736 Posts
Providing the oil meets the relevant MB spec., there is no compunction for it to be fully synthetic. At my last service, the engine was filled with Castrol Professional 5W/40, which I believe is semi-synthetic.

·
Premium Member
6,753 Posts
I would not care as long as it meets the correct spec for the engine and particulate filter system.

How do you know there not putting in Semi synth and charging you for fully synth? You don't, you have to trust them.

·
Registered
315 Posts
My last service at 7500 was Shell Synthetic Low Ash 9.2 ltr @ £11.06 plus VAT. They did give me 15% loyalty discount off that
50DD
Derick

·
Registered
14 Posts
9.5 litres of Shell Helix went in mine. It is 'Low Ash' apparently and needs to be so for the warranty - according to JCT's in Wakefield.

I brought up the £110.00 bill for OIL ONLY at my first service and got chapter and verse as to why they have to use this.

Forgive me I'm not in it today so cant check the grade. They did leave me a 1l bottle in a fancy bag in the boot for top ups - which was nice..

:)

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well I quizzed another bloke today (the service manager)as to what I had got and he said that oil was from Mopar and that Chrysler had allegedly advised they use it as there experience was that the engines were using some of the fully synthetic as it was a little thin and the mopar stuff was a bit thicker.

it is described on the invoice as Z ULTRA s/synth and it cost just over £4 a unit and they had used 19 units, so it came in at £80 + vat.

I guess those units are per 0.5 litres or US quarts giving 9.5 litres or US quarts total, he says they also use it in the Jeep cherokee that also has the 3.0 engine.

at this stage I didnt want to piss them off any more so I accepted what they said as they are supposed to be the professionals, i just hope they are right.

thanks for feedback.

elpirata

·
Registered
59 Posts
If you are unsure of what they are using then take enough of it in yourself.
If it is the correct spec and sealed they should use it no problem - I used to do this at Audi in a previous car. Saved a fortune buying Castrol branded stuff from Halfords in the same retail park !

·
Registered
448 Posts
If you are unsure of what they are using then take enough of it in yourself.
If it is the correct spec and sealed they should use it no problem - I used to do this at Audi in a previous car. Saved a fortune buying Castrol branded stuff from Halfords in the same retail park !
I looked into doing the same, but found that Halfords was actually more expensive than the dealer for the Mobil 1 ESP. I could have got the oil cheaper buying from a german seller on ebay, but thought that a little too risky.

Still can't be totally sure what the dealer is using "it comes from a bulk drum" were the words I| recall from them a couple of years back when I asked....

Quite a detailed thread from a while ago on the subject here: http://www.300cforums.com/forums/eu...ust-smoking-6.html?highlight=mobil#post420152

Sorry elpirata, it's probably too late for you!

·
Registered
9,851 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
So far as I know it should comply with MB spec 229.51. I think most of the oils described above meet that, check on their websites to be sure.

That definately means 'low ash' otherwise it'll clog the particulate filter faster causing more frequent 'burn offs' and premature failure.

·
Registered
519 Posts
So far as I know it should comply with MB spec 229.51. I think most of the oils described above meet that, check on their websites to be sure.

That definately means 'low ash' otherwise it'll clog the particulate filter faster causing more frequent 'burn offs' and premature failure.
I'm pretty sure its 229.31. I found the attached which describes which oils fit. Might be US-based but may help.

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts