Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What oil is required?

Those that are lucky enough to have your 300c already... Can you verify what oil is required....

I found this quote over on allpar.com...

"Hemi appears to use 5W20 motor oil - a specification which is expected to be widely adopted, but which is still not widely available."

Just wondering if we have to be carefull and make sure during oil changes they put in 5W20, if that is the case.

·
Registered
110 Posts
If it is 5W20, it's becoming easier to find. Most 2002+ Fords and Lincoln's require it. I was even able to find Mobil 1 Synthetic 5W20 at Walmart and Auto Zone.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great info, Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,648 Posts
Is it synthetic? All Mercedes since 1998 must have Synthetic. Mercedes got sued for recommending regular oil - it caused engine sludge and the had to offer additional warranty and free service to all cars that used dino oil from the Class-Action lawsuit.

My 98 E430 and my 02 E55 also did 'not' have break-in oil. Oil changes range from 10 to 15k miles.

·
Premium Member
2,648 Posts
New Chrysler 300 Sedan Triples Sales of Its Predecessor in First Full Month...

from DCX Media:

"New Chrysler 300 Sedan Triples Sales of Its Predecessor in First Full Month of Availability

The Chrysler brand posted strong sales in April of 51,491 units, a 28 percent increase over April 2003 when 40,323 units were sold. The Chrysler 300 sedan posted sales of 9,543 units during its first full month of availability, and continues to generate excitement among customers as units continue to arrive at dealerships."

·
Premium Member
702 Posts
This car needs to catch up to demand. I know alot of people interested in buying it (even in my small town) but dealers arent getting many units, and that causes them to try to drive up the cost even more.

I think time will fix this situation, but for now I think that is a reason the sales arent as strong as they could be.

Just my 2c.

·
Registered
4,944 Posts
I think I am going with 5w30 synthetic after break in. 5w20 seems awfully thin for summer use. I am also going to use a filter magnet and a transmission pan magnet immediately. My 300c ships on 5/31.

·
Registered
4,944 Posts
ekool said:
Most mfrg's only reccomend 5w20 because they do EPA (?) gas mileage testing with that in there to get better gas mileage, and by law must then reccomend it in the manual. But 10w30 is better. (IMHO)
What does IMHO stand for

·
Registered
4,944 Posts
Thanks for the info. IMHO, the magnets are a potential for major reduction in engine wear with NO potential for harm unlike various oil additives. Let's take a very effecient Mobil 1 filter rated at 10-20microns. Less than 10 microns pass through. The rare earth super strong magnets can hold these tiny particles in the filter. filtermag.com shows a great cutaway of a filter with the particles against the side wall. I currently have one on my Sienna at about $50. I got turbomag off ebay from turbomag.ca which is a universal fit mag to also go on the bottom of the trans pan, 3 for $42 shipped. I learned how filters work on the Wix and Amoil websites. The more expensive filtermag is arc shaped specifically for the curve of the filter with more magnets and I will use this on the 300c. I'll use the flat turbomag on the trans pan and my old jeep.
This is really important on a new car given all the break in metal floating around in the oil and on old cars from old fashioned wear. Does it really matter? My dad's 97 Town Car has 130K, burns not a drop of oil, uses the awful Fram made Jiffy Lube filter, non synthetic oil, no magnets, and gets changed when he remembers at every 5K. The Idea of magnets is excellent, some engineers laugh at them saying anything less than 10 microns is not harmful. We enthusiasts are always looking for that something extra.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've also seen people put them on their oil pan by the drain plug. This way when you drain the oil from the pan, the solids are the first things out.

Word of caution: If you do decide to get or use a rare earth magnet, be sure to keep it away from any computers and LCD screens (i.e. the navigation screen) they will do damage if placed too close to these objects.

They also work great if you have a motorcycle, they can help to trigger a stop light to go to green. If you've ever been stuck at a stop light for 6-8 minutes you know what I mean.

·
Registered
4,944 Posts
silverC said:
I've also seen people put them on their oil pan by the drain plug. This way when you drain the oil from the pan, the solids are the first things out.

Word of caution: If you do decide to get or use a rare earth magnet, be sure to keep it away from any computers and LCD screens (i.e. the navigation screen) they will do damage if placed too close to these objects.

They also work great if you have a motorcycle, they can help to trigger a stop light to go to green. If you've ever been stuck at a stop light for 6-8 minutes you know what I mean.
Right you are about the rare earths and sensitive equipment. No navi for me. I'll put that money in my wifes up coming RX330 which includes a rear camera

·
Registered
4,944 Posts
Magnet update:Ordered my oil filter magnet from filtermag.com. $56. It is superior to the smaller flat magnets which I will use on the flat transmission pan. I will slap both magnets on at the dealership when I pick the car up mid June. :p

·
Registered
4,944 Posts
300C4ME said:
How did you know what size to order?
I cross referenced the 300C filter 5281090 Mopar (Fram ph16 cross refd. at the fram site) which is used on many of thier engines. (NEVER use Fram, see my other posts or google the oil filter study). This is the same filter on the 300M and hemi truck so I ordered from filtermag.com based on an 03 300M. I doube checked with the dealer since many websites for referencing or ordering don't have 05 listed.

·
Registered
426 Posts
II Kings,

Following your lead, I too looked at the magnets. The 300M can use the SS365 or the higher performance RA365. Also, filtermag lists only the RA365 for the Dodge trucks with the 5.7L hemi. So, I think I will probably go with the RA365. Thanks

·
Registered
4,944 Posts
Cool, I saw that RA for the Hemi truck but since I am also running a flat rare earth from turbomag on the oil pan bolt I opted for the lesser filtermag. In hindsight maybe I should have gotten the deluxe model,Oh well. check www.synlube.com (awful website with a great cutaway filter with magnets. Also, when your filtermag comes (got mine yesterday) don't be suprised :eek: , you get one unit that covers 180 degrees of the filter. Their photos show what looks like two units but it is a front and back view. I thought they shorted me when I got my first filtermag for the sienna. No suprises second time around :D . Got my K&N air filter ordered today, see fathemi's thread on this.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts