Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just swapped the 5.7 in a 2006 . the car i removed it from was wrecked but ran perfectly. the one i installed it in had thrown a rod and filled the exhaust with oil.
when i start the car now i get the lightning bolt light and it idles awful. when i floor it it goes to about 1200 rpm but runs smooth wont go any higher. any ideas what i did wrong or what else might cause it?
i did swap the catalytic converters from the good running car and have removed the tail half to swap later due to fogging the block with smoke.
im not sure how long the good body car was parked so maybe just old gas?

·
Registered
418 Posts
Welcome to the forum. First, is the 5.7 engine out of the same year/model vehicle? Next, verify everything is hooked up properly, espeically all electrical connectors, and that there are no pinched/broken wires. Since you're probably using the original PCM, for starters, you'll probably need to hook up a fairly high quality diagnostic scanner and update a bunch of stuff for the new engine......PCM reset, cam/crank sensor sync, electronic throttle relearn, etc. You'll also probably find a bunch of diagnostic trouble codes (DTC) too, some of which may not allow the engine to run properly. So, clear all codes, relearn/reset key engine management components and let us know how it goes after this is all done.

·
Registered
118 Posts
If it's possible that the fuel is more than a couple of months old, drain as much of it as you can, throw in a bottle of Star Tron fuel additive and top off with fresh fuel.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
found out i snapped the map sensor on the rear of the intake took the one from other motor and it runs great now just one o2 code. thanks for the ideas on things to look for .

·
Registered
418 Posts
Glad you found it. Have you put a scanner on it yet? You'll probably have a bunch of "lost communication" codes and maybe a few others that may need to be addressed...like some I mentioned above. Most of these would be just so everything with the new engine is completely "zeroed in" and working as it should.

·
Registered
418 Posts
You might try taking it to Autozone or O'Reilly's and see if they'll do a read and CLEAR for you. I understand some of them will do the reads but won't clear them for you. Also, I don't think most of their scanners are high end enough to do the relearn/reset of some of the things you should do. Anyway, if it's running good, it's not a real priority,....just something that should probably be done at your convenience to insure everything is properly configured.

·
Registered
418 Posts
What's the code?

·
Registered
418 Posts
OK, that's the upstream (before the cat) O2 Sensor on the driver's side. First you need to check the wiring for damage and make sure it is properly plugged in. If all that is OK and the code keeps returning, you'll have to replace that sensor. If it were me, I'd do both upstream sensor, especially if the vehicle (not the engine) has lots of miles on it. It would have been nice if you had replaced them when the engine was out, as now it's going to be a real PITA.

You probably won't get a lot of symptoms due to this code, other than that sensor will be slow to warm up and start properly sampling the fuel mixture and you'll continue to get the MIL popping up. In other words, when the engine (and that sensor) is cold, your air/fuel mixture will probably be out of tolerance. If you can get access to a pretty good scanner, you can also monitor you air/fuel mixture and see if it is OK.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts