Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For about the last 3 months there's been a ticking noise that's unusually loud coming from the engine. Also the car shakes a little more than usual while idling even after warming up. The car drives fine but I know it's not normal. I know absolutely nothing about engines and my dealership out here in L.A. is the worst. The next closest one is about 45 minutes away. If someone can help me I can go in their with a little knowledge and figure this out. Thanks for your time!

·
Premium Member
6,091 Posts
??
Hard to diagnose on the net.....

Can you tell which part of the engine bay it's coming from? You should be able to lift the hood, and at least tell what corner the sound is coming from...

Lots of possibilities, from a failing accessory like the alternator, to lower oil pressure, engine knock from old/misfiring plugs etc.

·
Administrator
23,437 Posts
For most here, when we see threads/posts about "ticking" noises coming from the engine, we usually attribute it to the classic "hemi tick". It's a common characteristic of these engines and nothing to worry about.

On the other hand, I see you have a 2005 5.7L. How many miles on your car? If you're around or over 30,000 miles you may very well be due for a spark plug change along with the other schedualed maintenance things needed. What's the maintenance history of your car, ie oil changes etc?

Like Steve says, it's hard to diagnose problems here. It's like calling your doctor up and asking for a diagnosis. In other words we need a little more information.

Bernie

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
Same here

Mine has the same thing. It deffinately is coming from the bottom of the car you cant hear it with the hood open but if you get down to the side of the car you can. Its also only after the car warms up. Perforamnce hasnt suffered and it can only be heard with the windows down and im next to something that bounces the noise back. Im thinking she jsut needs a tune up which im gonna schedule in the next couple weeks. This is my first HEMI so I saw before they have a tick...Id say mines in between a tick and a tock but nothing that makes me worry. Should I have them put 5w-40 instead of 0w-40? the car came from California to Washington state so a little bit of a climate change.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
could the tick be the mds lifters?

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Mine has the same thing. It deffinately is coming from the bottom of the car you cant hear it with the hood open but if you get down to the side of the car you can. Its also only after the car warms up. Perforamnce hasnt suffered and it can only be heard with the windows down and im next to something that bounces the noise back. Im thinking she jsut needs a tune up which im gonna schedule in the next couple weeks. This is my first HEMI so I saw before they have a tick...Id say mines in between a tick and a tock but nothing that makes me worry. Should I have them put 5w-40 instead of 0w-40? the car came from California to Washington state so a little bit of a climate change.
Thanks for the replies! Sounds like mine is coming from the same place as yours. Might be a dumb question, but is a tune up under warranty? If not how much does it cost?

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For most here, when we see threads/posts about "ticking" noises coming from the engine, we usually attribute it to the classic "hemi tick". It's a common characteristic of these engines and nothing to worry about.

On the other hand, I see you have a 2005 5.7L. How many miles on your car? If you're around or over 30,000 miles you may very well be due for a spark plug change along with the other schedualed maintenance things needed. What's the maintenance history of your car, ie oil changes etc?

Like Steve says, it's hard to diagnose problems here. It's like calling your doctor up and asking for a diagnosis. In other words we need a little more information.

Bernie
Yes its a 2005 C and I have 39k on it. Is there anything else that might cause the ticking and the rough idle. I always put in 93 when I lived in Chicago but I moved to L.A. 2 years ago and they only have 91. Could that be the cause for the idling issue?
Thanks for your time!

·
Administrator
23,437 Posts
Yes its a 2005 C and I have 39k on it. Is there anything else that might cause the ticking and the rough idle. I always put in 93 when I lived in Chicago but I moved to L.A. 2 years ago and they only have 91. Could that be the cause for the idling issue?
Thanks for your time!
One thing FOR SURE is you're not helping matters using 93 octane. You car calls for 89. It's a popular misconception that the higher the octane the better or cleaner the gas. NOT TRUE and eventually you're going to destroy your cats. The unburned fuel will enter them and cause premature failure. When you smell rotten eggs you'll know the higher octane is doing just that.

As per the book you are due for spark plugs although many have said theirs were fine when changed at 30,000 miles. You should also check your PVC valve, air filter and whatever else is recommended for 30,000 miles. Because you say you have a rough idle I'd say a tune up is a reasonable assumption.

Save yourself some money and use 89 octane too!!!

Bernie

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
One thing FOR SURE is you're not helping matters using 93 octane. You car calls for 89. It's a popular misconception that the higher the octane the better or cleaner the gas. NOT TRUE and eventually you're going to destroy your cats. The unburned fuel will enter them and cause premature failure. When you smell rotten eggs you'll know the higher octane is doing just that.

As per the book you are due for spark plugs although many have said theirs were fine when changed at 30,000 miles. You should also check your PVC valve, air filter and whatever else is recommended for 30,000 miles. Because you say you have a rough idle I'd say a tune up is a reasonable assumption.

Save yourself some money and use 89 octane too!!!

Bernie
Thanks Bernie!

·
Administrator
23,437 Posts
well im SOL SRT8 needs 91 lol and gas keeps goin up!!!
Yeah, it's a tough life and that's the burden we must bare. Fun burden though...haha!!!

Bernie

·
Registered
41 Posts
I tick too...and I have a rough idle from time to time. Dealer did a software update and it's reduced rough idle I'd say a little bit but ticking is still there from time to time. It's very faint and it sounds like something is straining.

·
Registered
88 Posts
To the original poster

Many many many people have heard the tick that you are speaking of and it is totally normal as long as you don't notice any other problems. Most of the time it is only audible when the car warms up and goes away after going 5mph and only comes back when you come to a stop.

Also, if you read some of the car magazine reviews, they mention something about the earlier model 300C's beginning to experience a rough idle after a few miles are put on it. There is nothing to be alarmed about and mine does it to. These engines are just torquey motors, and torquey motors dont like to sit still.

Hope this helps, now go change those spark plugs and buy a Diablo ;)

·
Registered
195 Posts
Do not use 5-40 in the 5.7 This car only uses 5-20 because of the MDS system.In southern hot weather 90F the heaviest oil you could use is 5-30 without the MDS system giving a fault. Ticking could be lifters ,MDS solinoids and lifters or the pulse of fuel injectors.Change oil first with 5-20 ,Mobil 1 or other quality synthetic ,new filter and see if any noise changes.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts