Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning I had occasion to "floor it"

I was in second (I think) doing about 15 or 20mph and gave it a "bootfull" for about 3 or 4 seconds. That's when I got the "bong" and both the "Electronic Throttle Control Light" and the "Malfunction Indicator Light" come on.

The car went into "safe" mode (I think) wouldn't rev over 2000 ish rpm but changed gear OK getting up to 60 odd mph.

I got home and switched off. Switched back on the ETC has not come back on. The MIL goes out, then comes back on. I pulled fuses 11 & 14, and checked the connections to my CR2 chip, but it stays on when driving.

The car seems to drive OK, revving up to 4250rpm ish and changes gear when expected.

The handbook says:

"Certain conditions such as a loose or missing gas cap, poor fuel quality etc. may illuminate the light after engine start. The vehicle should be serviced if the light stays on through several of your typical driving cycles. In most situations the vehicle will drive normally and will not require towing"

I'm sure it's not "poor fuel" and the gas cap is in place, and I've only taken it for about a mile trip since.

Maybe I should disconnect my chip and start it without to see if that makes any difference.

Has anyone got any ideas on what it might be?

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
It's OK............ panic over........... after 3 short journey's the MIL has gone out and stayed out
so far

BTW what's the "key on/off routine" for next time.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My Malfunction Indicator Light came on a couple of months ago and then went off after a few cycles of driving. It came back on last week I pulled the fuse and it went away. Now if came back two days later. Should I replace the fuse or what to do? I don't really want to take it in to the dealer.

·
Administrator
13,325 Posts
My Malfunction Indicator Light came on a couple of months ago and then went off after a few cycles of driving. It came back on last week I pulled the fuse and it went away. Now if came back two days later. Should I replace the fuse or what to do? I don't really want to take it in to the dealer.
1) Welcome!
2) please amend your details so everyone knows which part of the world youre in
3) try the key dance (see a couple of posts above) & tell us what fault codes appear (nb, note that 'on' in the key dance doesnt mean start the engine!)

·
Registered
503 Posts
It's OK............ panic over........... after 3 short journey's the MIL has gone out and stayed out
so far

BTW what's the "key on/off routine" for next time.

also check the small pipe that connects to the turbo (the 1 that drags the oil into the swirl chamber) if i've been messing about under the bonnet, i've knocked before and it does exactly what you've described.
just worth checking

·
Registered
6,753 Posts
also check the small pipe that connects to the turbo (the 1 that drags the oil into the swirl chamber) if i've been messing about under the bonnet, i've knocked before and it does exactly what you've described.
just worth checking
I don't think it will be that unless he's bought a CRD and no longer has the Hemi. :wink1:

·
Registered
9,851 Posts
Lambo,I think Sniper was talking to BigIan............(I did say think,lol)

·
Registered
19 Posts
my malfunction indicator light came on this morning and stays on when i do the key on it shows the icon for electronic throttle control then that light goes out but the malfunction light stays on, any ideas of what it could be? I have a 2006 chrysler 300c with about 40k miles

·
Registered
145 Posts
Snap - I posted in another thread about my similar experience. My lights cleared completely after I floored it the other day :) So it will remain a mystery for me unless it returns and I have the fault codes read. But it seemed like recalibrating my throttle helped: Ignition on but engine not running - slowly floor the throttle and back up again. Turn off. That's it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 300C and the Electronic Throttle Control Light came on. The car stalled and then shut off. Do I need to take it to a dealer which is 50 miles away or can a local mechanic solve the problem?

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
When mine did that I eventually got it to continue to run, albeit in the limp mode, was able to drive 30 miles to home, and then another mile to the stealership.
The problem was the electronic throttle (a kind of variable resistor actuated by the gas pedal) which only comes as an assembly with the pedal height adjuster.
The cost came out to just over $400.

·
Registered
6,753 Posts
I have a 300C and the Electronic Throttle Control Light came on. The car stalled and then shut off. Do I need to take it to a dealer which is 50 miles away or can a local mechanic solve the problem?
It would help everyone if you put where you are and what model you have ie hemi or crd etc in you profile details :wink1:

·
Registered
116 Posts
Lambournekoi, You said do the key dance, I thought you couldn't do that with the CRD, only the Hemi? I tried with my CRD but couldn't do it and then sure I saw somewhere only the Hemis do so I didnt bother. Does anyone know whether you can or can't?

·
Registered
9,851 Posts
Apparently not on the CRuDs

·
Registered
120 Posts
i have a 06` crd and the key dance works for me..

acc/on...acc/on...acc/on and leave it on ON then on the evic u wil see ------ wait for it and then either a code or the word DONE

thats it.

·
Registered
6,753 Posts
Lambournekoi, You said do the key dance, I thought you couldn't do that with the CRD, only the Hemi? I tried with my CRD but couldn't do it and then sure I saw somewhere only the Hemis do so I didnt bother. Does anyone know whether you can or can't?
It was found out later that it don't work on CRD's. This is an early post thats been found and brought back to life.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts