Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I talking with a guy that I have gotten to know, who actually owns a stealership, and today he told me that if I turn off the ESP that I could realize a 2-4 MPG increase? Seems odd anyone hear of this or know if there is any validity to this. I guess I could test it.

·
Registered
666 Posts
correct me if I am wrong clicking off the esp via the button
only keeps it off for a few minutes than its back on

give it a shot and report back

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
correct me if I am wrong clicking off the esp via the button
only keeps it off for a few minutes than its back on

give it a shot and report back
You stand corrected.

·
Registered
255 Posts
That depends of your mod!!

i can completely disconnect my esp on mine!

Theres a wire passing under the console and by adding a switch you can completely turn on and off the ESP

·
Registered
544 Posts
I would think that if your ESP is working properly and you are not sliding around it would make no difference.(no braking being applied) A person is usually trying to save gas over a long haul. Turning it off defeats some of the safety your money has paid for.....

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Congrats you're the first to bite in 8 years!!!!

·
Administrator
19,626 Posts
LMAO!!!

No, turning off ESP does not improve gas mileage.

No, the EVIC display is not accurate as it measures mileage within a certain time parameter, not cumulative over an entire tank.

Yes, you just bit hard on that one.

·
Registered
22 Posts
well, i already tried this again, and definitely there is a difference. i also notice that in low speed, the transmission works less, giving me less rpm.
My daily mpg was 17, between home and work, now i am getting 19-20.

I also didn't believe in this either, but i gave it a try. i ll keep looking my mpg all this week.

·
Premium Member
6,058 Posts
Your transmission does not 'work less' with esp disabled...

First off even the terminology of 'turning off esp' isn't technically correct as it's not on until situations dictate it's use, all you are doing is turning off the ability for it to engage should it be required. Point being whether the button is pushed or not, the system isn't activated till conditions warrant it.

Now... Drive on a nice level freeway, take a log of your mileage and then do it again in the exact same conditions... It won't be more than 0.something different. Now take into consideration a gust of wind, 2psi variance in tire pressure, slight 2 deg increase in road angle, the fact the evic tells lies, etc etc etc and honestly bud... There is no difference.

I can get 2mpg more than usual if I know I'm driving for that purpose... Take a long-term test at the pump and I think you'll find it won't change bud.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
Well, i will not try to discuss this anymore, but i still have better MPG with the ESP off, i was just sharing, nothing more and take a picture of it, but nothing good came from that from the forum.

·
Premium Member
6,058 Posts
Well, i will not try to discuss this anymore, but i still have better MPG with the ESP off, i was just sharing, nothing more and take a picture of it, but nothing good came from that from the forum.
Read post 8 and 10... Its a fact bud, you can't stop something from engaging that technically isn't even on and get better fuel economy...

Its like saying that pulling the wiring harness out of the back of the radio to stop it turning on will increase economy... At has about the same effect on drag as esp that isn't turned on till it's required.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

1 - 15 of 15 Posts