Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
But were to confused to ask..........................................................Well dont worry guys and gals I got your back here.

The Diablo Predator is a handheld unit with 3 "canned" tunes in it. The general public can buy this tool and go home and install 1 of the tunes in the handheld to his/her car. They can then do what is called "Quick Adjust" to that tune. Some examples of Quick Adjust are: Add fuel at different RPM ranges, Add Timing to different RPM ranges, Raise or lower idle RPM, Adjust shift points and raise Rev limiters. Adjust tire size, and turn your fans on at different temps. All of the above are straight out of the box and anyone can use them. Depending on your individual motor and needs some or all of these can be used.

Now heres what you cant do with the handheld. Injector scaling, Part throttle tuning of both bank 1 and bank 2 VE tables. "Absolutely essential for a Cam'd/Head daily driver" Adjust Knock sensor sensitivity, Throttle tip in,
TQ managment levels, part throttle timing tables, the list goes on and on.

Another myth is that you can get a FULL CMR tune in 1 hr with 3 dyno pulls.
If you purchased a Diablo Predator from a vendor and was told it comes with a CMR tune/3 dyno pulls for 400-500.00 you were mislead. The Diablo cost at least 325.00 and for 175.00 your certainly not getting a CMR tune.
If you were straped to the dyno for 3 pulls and had the handhelp used for quick adjust then you were NOT CMR tuned.

Another quick and easy way to tell if indeed you have a Custom CMR tune is to plug in your predator, After boot up choose perf tune, Next choose "Custom Tunes" there should be a tune in there with a name your CMR tuner named it. If there is nothing in "Custom Tunes" then your rolling with a canned tuned with or without Quick Adjustments. In my custom tunes I have tunes that are named "HoP 1.94 31008". So if you cant get to the "Custom tunes" cause it doesnt come up when you choose Perf tunes then its because there isnt a custom tune written to your predator. Proof you have no Custom CMR tune.
EDIT: Although you can upload a "canned" tune to your computer and then re save it to your predator and it will show up under custom tunes. I would assume though if you did this you would already no that it isnt a true "FULL CUSTOM CMR TUNE" but rather your own saved canned tune.

The custom tunes come from your tuners laptop/Desktop computer. There created from templates in the software and they are tweaked per your motor and then saved to the computer and then transfered to the predator and then transfered to your car via the Diablo Predator Handheld. These "Custom tunes" can also be Quick Adjusted. Which would come up in the handheld under "Custom tunes" for example. "HoP 1.94 31008 plus quick adjusts".

To create a new tune from a template and tweak it to the point the cars running great takes alot of time/effort. Its not just this or that. Its a little of this and a little of that and a dyno, and then its repeated untill all parameters are running as they should.
Not everyone needs a CMR tune. unless youve got Heads/Cam you prolly dont need one. Or once your hitting 415 plus HP on a SAE dyno your prolly in need of injectors and a tune.

Im hoping this will clarify alot of confusion and give people a better understanding of what there getting.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
my CMR tune took about 5 hours.

i just left it at the shop all day. it was also the first SRT8 he had done.

i bet some shops can get it done quicker as they have done several by now and know what to look for, but i would agree that it SHOULD take more than an hour.

i agree with your write-up. thanks.

made me feel better that it took him all day to do it than only an hour. he used about a 1/4 tank of gas as well!!

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Chip Master Revolution

·
Premium Member
10,829 Posts
Great, informative, write up, Trojan! Even I had no problem understanding it or visualizing your instructions.

This would definitely be a good sticky!

Hope things are going well for you!
bruno

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Things are great, Ive been so busy. I miss it here and thought Id post this here.
Alot of folks have been paying for what they think are CMR tunes and really getting handheld tunes. Just wanted to clear the air for everyone. Feel free to sticky what you want. :fing02:
Right now trying to get the car ready and get to Columbus for the nationals if I can make it.

·
Administrator
23,437 Posts
Great, informative, write up, Trojan! Even I had no problem understanding it or visualizing your instructions.

This would definitely be a good sticky!
I agree bruno and made it so. Lots of great information. Thanks Trojan!

Bernie

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Been posting about the diablo all week and trying to get info on this tune and i must say this thread really helped me understand alot better now what i am getting into.I was going to get a CMR soon but after reading this thread now I know i didnt need one.I am going to install a CAI and the diablo and that was it, so I called a local shop and they told me that i needed a CMR with that set up.Thanks Trojan you saved me money by posting this thread.You got to love this forum!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Trojan,

I liked your explanation. The ECU has so many inputs and available outputs that unless your an engineer you could never possibly know how to adjust the many variations. change 1 and everything downstream changes. Maybe you can answer this question.
SRT8. Chrysler has made many changes to the ECU / PCM on the SRT8 in the past 3 years. With each software change the engine / throttle response has gone downhill. The vehicle was sporty and very responsive when new. How can I get the original ECU / PCM load? The vehicle was built March 2006. I have been told there is a way to get the original settings restored but there is a sequence of events that must be followed. The ECU has a default and as with any software there is always a beginning, you would lose all later / latest updates (which are worthless).

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Would you need a tune if you have aftermarket Header and exhaust?
i benefited from a CMR tune without those mods, so yes, i would say you would benefit as well.
it can't hurt your car, it is just overkill some say if you dont have more extensive modifications

·
Registered
161 Posts
Thanks, I do have a Preditor and had email John from the company. I had told him I have a 5.7 with CAI, Magnaflow exhaust and wondered if I need to change the A/F? He said to add .5%, does that sound right? Thanks

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Thanks, I do have a Preditor and had email John from the company. I had told him I have a 5.7 with CAI, Magnaflow exhaust and wondered if I need to change the A/F? He said to add .5%, does that sound right? Thanks

sounds like he wants you to add 5 to fuel, the predator will walk you through it.
he wants that through all the rpms? if so, then thats what you do in the menus
A/F changes according to what you adjust, there is no A/F adjustment. it's a measurement

·
Registered
185 Posts
Does anyone have an educated guess how much HP has been added to my 2009 SRT8 since I installed a K & N CAI, Borla exhaust, 180 Jet t-stat, Predator 93 and custom CMR tune?

Just wondering where I am in relation to the stock 425 HP. Thanks.....

·
Registered
66 Posts
Does anyone have an educated guess how much HP has been added to my 2009 SRT8 since I installed a K & N CAI, Borla exhaust, 180 Jet t-stat, Predator 93 and custom CMR tune?

Maybe I am off base here...but if you had a custom CMR tune, would't you have the Dyno run sheets from the custom tune???

·
Premium Member
4,068 Posts

Yeah, didn't you get a dyno graph?

I've seen a lot of CMR tunes and it seems like the gain is roughly 30-40 from an intake/exhaust and tune.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Hemi's & Eric: my mistake here. The tune I was referring to was a CMR tune from DCX Depot. It was done by email, and then further revised after some data-logging.

You're guessing I'm @460-470 at the engine?

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
Trojan,

I liked your explanation. The ECU has so many inputs and available outputs that unless your an engineer you could never possibly know how to adjust the many variations. change 1 and everything downstream changes. Maybe you can answer this question.
SRT8. Chrysler has made many changes to the ECU / PCM on the SRT8 in the past 3 years. With each software change the engine / throttle response has gone downhill. The vehicle was sporty and very responsive when new. How can I get the original ECU / PCM load? The vehicle was built March 2006. I have been told there is a way to get the original settings restored but there is a sequence of events that must be followed. The ECU has a default and as with any software there is always a beginning, you would lose all later / latest updates (which are worthless).
I won't claim 2% of Trojan's knowledge, but from experience my February 2006 SRT8 is plenty responsive with the Predator 93 CAI tune. Going up a toll road onramp (thus loading the rear tires well) it'll jerk you hard enough for whiplash if you don't ease into the throttle.

Try the Predator.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hemi's & Eric: my mistake here. The tune I was referring to was a CMR tune from DCX Depot. It was done by email, and then further revised after some data-logging.

You're guessing I'm @460-470 at the engine?
No Worries Mate,

Eric has a lot of experience on this kinda stuff (not to mention the quickest bang for the $$$ SRT8 on the forum) If ya copycat what he's done you cannot go wrong. :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts