Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everyone,

noob here.

EVIC voltage reading upon turning of key to start -12.9
When cranking goes down to around 9.5
immediately after goes to 13.9
when running all the time stays at 12.9-13.3 only that is it. ive never seen this go higher than 14.

is there a problem here? battery? alternator? or is that ok?

i do feel i have a problem with the starter though. every time after i run for sometime when the car is at operating temp, i switch off the car and after say 5 minutes i turn it on again, the car will take some time before it starts. sometimes 1 or 2 slow cranks. sometimes 3-5 rapid cranks.

but even though sometimes in the morning normal temp the car still seems to struggle a bit when cranking.

is there a history from your experience that starters, alternators and batteries are all co-related and that if one goes bad, it can damage these other 2?

thanks guys!! :)

·
Registered
673 Posts
Although the initial battery voltage looks pretty good, it is possible that it could be the battery. A shop with a good quality combination electrical system and battery tester (I have a Solar BA227) will easily check the alternator output, starter draw and battery cold cranking amps, and pretty easily pinpoint where the problem lies. Starters and alternators normally don't fail anywhere near as often as batteries. I replaced the starter on my SRT8 with 170K on it, only because I had it off. Last month I did have an alternator failure at 114K (easily found with the tester) on my Jeep. The SRT8 still has the original alternator.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hi mate. For the alternator am a bit sure it might not be it as last time i got an oil change i asked them to check if my alternator was charging ok. They plugged this tester and he said it was charging normally.

what do you mean when you said “replaced my starter only because it was off”?

and yes the alrernator on my srt is still the original as well.

·
Registered
673 Posts
hi mate. For the alternator am a bit sure it might not be it as last time i got an oil change i asked them to check if my alternator was charging ok. They plugged this tester and he said it was charging normally.

what do you mean when you said “replaced my starter only because it was off”?

and yes the alrernator on my srt is still the original as well.
I had to pull the starter to change the Crank Position Sensor and, since the starter had 170K on it, I figured I'd just replace rather than have to remove it again.....probably sooner rather than later with that many miles on it. I also had the fuel pump go out at about 168K. Too bad I didn't catch it before it totally failed, as it failed on the interstate and I had to have it towed home.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had to pull the starter to change the Crank Position Sensor and, since the starter had 170K on it, I figured I'd just replace rather than have to remove it again.....probably sooner rather than later with that many miles on it. I also had the fuel pump go out at about 168K. Too bad I didn't catch it before it totally failed, as it failed on the interstate and I had to have it towed home.
Bummer for the fuel pump mate.

Crank and cam sensor already replaced like 2 years back. Fuel pump replaced last march. Today just bought 2 knock sensors as am getting a p0325 code and also the starter 😊 bought the heat shield plate as well as i found mine missing, 2 knock sensor heat shields as well and an onyx dgi thermal wrap for the starter 😜

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bummer for the fuel pump mate.

Crank and cam sensor already replaced like 2 years back. Fuel pump replaced last march. Today just bought 2 knock sensors as am getting a p0325 code and also the starter 😊 bought the heat shield plate as well as i found mine missing, 2 knock sensor heat shields as well and an onyx dgi thermal wrap for the starter 😜
Oh and a new mopar battery

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts