Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was playing around with EVIC and accidentally pressed the 'recalibrate compass' option. Now get a little 'CAL' text next to the heading. What does this do? Am I going to get lost? And how do I get it to exit recalibrate mode?
Thanks.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I think you may have to drive around for a bit to allow the compass to recognise where you are in the world, thus allowing it to do the necessary. I'm sure I've read something about this before.

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
You will now need to find your nearest big roundabout and drive round it a few times lol (you have to do a 360% manouvere this should calibrate it and turn it off) Hold the compass key for a few seconds and check the variance is set to 9 first. This menu has compass recal and compass variance once youve pressed recal the only way to turn the cal symbol off is to go driving round in circles:sad:

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
If you get to this menu again( accessed by holding the compass key for a few seconds) dont press the right key just press the compass key to exit:smile: Remembering back the one on my first CRD would go off without doing a 360 but the one on the SRT Design needed a 360. I have never tried it on the SRT8

·
Registered
5,393 Posts
stop fiddling..............lol

·
Chrysler Customer Service Agent
932 Posts
hmmhmm:

In case you have not already reviewed the owner's manual or for other people on the forum unfamiliar with the manual language, below is the 2006 Chrysler 300 owner's manual instructions for review:

Automatic Compass Calibration
This compass is self calibrating, which eliminates the need to manually set the compass. When the vehicle is new, the compass may appear erratic and the EVIC will display “CAL” until the compass is calibrated. You may also calibrate the compass by completing one or more 360° turns (in an area free from large metal or metallic objects) until the “CAL” message displayed in the EVIC turns off. The compass will now function normally.

Manual Compass Calibration
If the compass appears erratic and the “CAL” message does not appear in the EVIC display, you must put the compass into the Calibration Mode manually as follows:
To put into a Calibration Mode: Turn on the ignition switch. Then, press and hold the compass button for approximately 2 seconds. Then, press the SCROLL button until “Calibrate Compass” displays in the EVIC. Then, press and release the FUNCTION SELECT button to start the calibration. The message “CAL” will display in the EVIC. Complete one or more 360° turns (in an area free from large metal or metallic objects) until the “CAL” message turns off. The compass will now function normally.

Compass Variance
Compass Variance is the difference between magnetic North and Geographic North. In some areas of the country, the difference between magnetic and geographic North is great enough to cause the compass to give false readings. If this occurs, the compass variance must be set.
NOTE: Magnetic materials should be kept away from the overhead console. This is where the compass sensor is located.

To set the variance: Turn the ignition switch ON. Then, press and hold the compass button for approximately 2 seconds. Then, press the SCROLL button until “Compass Variance” displays in the EVIC. Both the “Compass Variance” message and the last variance zone number will display in the EVIC. Then, press and release FUNCTION SELECT button until the proper variance zone is selected according to the map. Finally, press and release the compass button to exit.

Hope you get it working properly again real soon.

·
Registered
5,393 Posts
magnetic materials should be away from the overhead console??? Whats the roof made of?

·
Registered
5,393 Posts
magnetic materials should be kept away from the overhead console??? Whats the roof made of? :umbrella:

dunno what happened there with the double posts..soz....lol

·
Registered
515 Posts
The roof is made of steel ---- not a magnet !!!! :eek:uttahere

·
Registered
5,393 Posts
I was taking the piss......never mind...........lol

·
Registered
515 Posts
:biglaugh: so was I ...........

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
I'm guessing related, my EVIC compass just displays a "-" for direction. Is there any way to fix that?

·
Registered
5,393 Posts
no roundabouts in the USA are there??

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
no roundabouts in the USA are there??
I'm Canada, not the US. I have giant ass corn fields that have been harvested recently, and AWD to get through them.

I tested laps in a parking lot last night and that failed to reconfigure it.

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
I'm Canada, not the US. I have giant ass corn fields that have been harvested recently, and AWD to get through them.

I tested laps in a parking lot last night and that failed to reconfigure it.
Is the variance setting right Bronek just a thought

·
Registered
3 Posts
After having my battery die in -45 weather overnight I boosted my 2006 300C and took her out for a drive to recharge the battery and noted the CAL beside the compass, not having a manual handy at 100km I had no idea what it meant but when I did a 360 turn to head home to get the manual it disappeared and must have recalibrated itself. Interesting to see in this forum it’s happened to other people as well.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts