Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Brought the 300c in for 6000 mile service and requested the EVIC software update from 3.54 to 3.61 or newer as that has the fix for the outside temp bug (its more annoying now that the weather is colder in the AM than PM by larger degrees). I spoke to the tech who "yeah, no problem" and figured that would be that. When I went to pick it up, the service ticket was "no software updates needed". He said he had nothing from Chrysler and could find nothing with regard to any software for the EVIC.
Does anyone here have any site URL's or TSB number I could point him to? He seems willing to do the update, but just lost on where to look.

·
Registered
272 Posts
jeffp said:
Brought the 300c in for 6000 mile service and requested the EVIC software update from 3.54 to 3.61 or newer as that has the fix for the outside temp bug (its more annoying now that the weather is colder in the AM than PM by larger degrees). I spoke to the tech who "yeah, no problem" and figured that would be that. When I went to pick it up, the service ticket was "no software updates needed". He said he had nothing from Chrysler and could find nothing with regard to any software for the EVIC.
Does anyone here have any site URL's or TSB number I could point him to? He seems willing to do the update, but just lost on where to look.
just got home from dealer about 30 minutes ago. i had the software ugrade (i believe 7/25)and repair done to radiator per recall, and a adjustment upward to headlights. took about 2 1/2 hours, got printout of stuffdone. so far so good.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Just got the "we don't have/can't find an update" for your car and the "computer" does not indicate DC says it's in need of the newer version.....
They said they usually don't do it unless there is a problem anyway so my reply was there is a problem with the wipers (same probl as other's are having).

(I read the other posts and even quoted mileshoover's explanation about the 3.61 update disk etc....)

They will keep "looking around" and let me know in a week if they can find it.

Hopefully my right pull is finally gone - recall is now done as well....
**On edit, right pull is the same as when I brought it in (for the 2nd time now) AND now my wheel is off center (I'll fix that with the centering procedure). Had to reconnect one of my horns they disconnected too...

grrr

Might be time to make a phone call to another local 5*

·
Registered
272 Posts
5point7 said:
Just got the "we don't have/can't find an update" for your car and the "computer" does not indicate DC says it's in need of the newer version.....
They said they usually don't do it unless there is a problem anyway so my reply was there is a problem with the wipers (same probl as other's are having).

(I read the other posts and even quoted mileshoover's explanation about the 3.61 update disk etc....)

They will keep "looking around" and let me know in a week if they can find it.

Hopefully my right pull is finally gone - recall is now done as well....
**On edit, right pull is the same as when I brought it in (for the 2nd time now) AND now my wheel is off center (I'll fix that with the centering procedure). Had to reconnect one of my horns they disconnected too...

grrr

Might be time to make a phone call to another local 5*
i think i would be looking for a new dealer, if i were you. if there is one. my dealer looks all this stuff up on his computer and also my cars complete setup is on his computer. not sure the people you are dealing with know how to use the computer.

·
BLOODY ADMENSTRUATOR
7,554 Posts
Same here, James. In today's competitive auto market, service, warranty work and parts sales account for more dealer profit than new car sales.

The smart dealers know that electronic diagnosis and upgrades are essential for the car's optimum performance. They also know that satisfied customers keep coming back and recommend their friends.

When I purchase a new vehicle, the quality of the service department is my prime concern. IMO, dealerships fall into 3 categories:

1. Volume dealers (often own multiple franchises). They are most likely to cut the cheapest deal on the purchase price(also quite willing to cut you the worst deal). Dealing and negotiating with them is hard work. Service may not be a priority with them. This approach is declining as net savvy consumers know all the invoice prices, special deals etc.

2. Service oriented dealers. Often dedicated to one franchise. Have been in business for some time. Rely on a repeat client base and referrals for success. Best way to assess: Ask to meet with service manager. Ask him or her to show you why you should buy here. You should be given a tour. Ask about electronic diagnostics and upgrades. With DC, most of their 5 star dealerships, fall in this category. Another good indicator of a customer oriented dealership is evidence of an ISO rating.

3. Just plain bad dealers. Incompetent, dishonest or a blend of both. It would be nice to say they never stay in business, but the reality is that the same individuals keep popping up, like a bad penny, even after losing franchises and bankrupcy.

If you haven't bought yet, you might want to pay a bit more for the car and get a rock solid dealer who will give you excellent service.

If you have already bought, and are not happy with the service, shop for new service, by interviewing the service managers. Contrary to urban myth that dealers will only service the cars they sold, a good service department will welcome you.

Times have changed.

·
Registered
42 Posts
5point7 said:
AND now my wheel is off center (I'll fix that with the centering procedure).
Mine has been off center since day one . . . What is this centering procedure?!?

Any help is appreciated, thanks

-Chris

·
Premium Member
1,151 Posts
Black Hemi said:
Mine has been off center since day one . . . What is this centering procedure?!?

Any help is appreciated, thanks

-Chris
Check the 'How To...' sticky....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just got mine back from the 6000 mile checkup/oil change. I've been having the problem with the windshield wipers having thier own mind (especially when using the turn signals). The dealer installed two of the three recalls (had to order the latest recall for the radiator), and I told them about the EVIC upgrade to fix the wipers (I'm pretty sure my 300 is on the earliest version of the EVIC software because my build date is 03/04). They noted that they could not duplicate the wiper problem and there were no TSBS or updates at this time.
Does anyone have any documented information about the EVIC upgrades, so I can put it in front of the dealer?

·
Registered
323 Posts
Which version of the software are you currently running? The latest version I believe is 3.61 7/27/04. To figure it out, hold down the N button and the music note for about 5-7 seconds. You should then be in diagnostic mode and be able to cycle to the version you are running. If its not 3.61 you should be able to tell your dealer that you would like the latest revision.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm not sure which release I have, but its probably 3.54 or earlier (I hear the original is like 2.85) due to my build date being 03/04. I looked all through my owners manual trying to figure out how to invoke the diagnostic mode, so I could find out. I appreciate the heads up on how to check. Biggest concern I have is getting the dealer to upgrade, they seem to be reluctant (which seems to be the trend on from comments made on other threads in this forum). Thats why I wanted documentation concerning the wipers, they act like they don't know what I am talking about.

·
Registered
529 Posts
bm300c said:
Just got mine back from the 6000 mile checkup/oil change. I've been having the problem with the windshield wipers having thier own mind (especially when using the turn signals). The dealer installed two of the three recalls (had to order the latest recall for the radiator), and I told them about the EVIC upgrade to fix the wipers (I'm pretty sure my 300 is on the earliest version of the EVIC software because my build date is 03/04). They noted that they could not duplicate the wiper problem and there were no TSBS or updates at this time.
Does anyone have any documented information about the EVIC upgrades, so I can put it in front of the dealer?
I just got back from my dealer, where my car is presently waiting to have the flash done. I took it in last week and had the service writer not know what I was talking about and the flash was not done and I too had the problem with the wipers coming on every so often, and as I left the dealers lot it did it again. I went home and phoned the service manager, who I was told was not available when I was there. I pointed out to him that they were a 5* dealer and should act like one. He told me that there had been several updates for the computer since the car came out and also passed on one that I was not aware of and that has to do wih the rain sensor which needs to be adjusted as it is not sensitive enough. He was upset that his writers were not aware of this flash.

I dropped off my car this morning and almost had the same run-a-round again, but demanded to see the service manager and this time it's being done. Stand your ground and demand that it be done, if you get a hard time go to the dealer principal and point out that the service writers are not doing their jobs. Good luck!!!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for the insight. The dealer I dealt with is a 5* also. I plan to call him today...let you know the results.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Guys, I had my flash update done because I complained that the outside temp was stuck and not updating properly. The tech put that symptom into the computer and was able to get a TSB. The TSB told them to update the flash to 3.61. For those of you having a problem getting the dealer to update you may want to tell them that you are having this problem. Of course my temp was really getting stuck and now works fine after the flash. I believe the temp being stuck was one of the more common problems with the older code. Might be worth a try...

·
Registered
281 Posts
When you say stuck, do you mean never updating or eventually updates after driving a bit?

The other afternoon mine said 35 deg F from the morning, when it was clearly 60. The bank temp said 60 too. After about 2 miles of driving the temp started climbing, one deg at a time, pausing at times, but evenually reaching 62 deg F.

Is this what the flash fixes?

·
Registered
529 Posts
bm300c said:
Thanks for the insight. The dealer I dealt with is a 5* also. I plan to call him today...let you know the results.
I got my car back and just checked out the upgrade. They have installed version 3.61 which is dated 27 June 2004, so that is similar to what your dealer said. The only thing I had to do was re-program my seat, pedals and steering wheel memory. I guess I will just have to wait to see if my wipers come on again or how the rain sensors are adjusted for sensitivity and anything else it corrected, if anything. Just for info, I believe the old setting was something like 3.35 or there abouts.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
jcsganga34 said:
Guys, I had my flash update done because I complained that the outside temp was stuck and not updating properly. The tech put that symptom into the computer and was able to get a TSB. The TSB told them to update the flash to 3.61. For those of you having a problem getting the dealer to update you may want to tell them that you are having this problem. Of course my temp was really getting stuck and now works fine after the flash. I believe the temp being stuck was one of the more common problems with the older code. Might be worth a try...
This is the problem I want the update for. Do you know the service dept folks well enough to ask for the TSB number for a friend (the rest of us here) to give to their local dealer. Locally, they can't find anything with reference to this update, so it always a "no problem found" repair ticket. Thanks

·
Registered
323 Posts
Heading back next week and will ask for TSB

jeffp said:
This is the problem I want the update for. Do you know the service dept folks well enough to ask for the TSB number for a friend (the rest of us here) to give to their local dealer. Locally, they can't find anything with reference to this update, so it always a "no problem found" repair ticket. Thanks
I am heading back to the dealer next week to have the recall work performed (radiator brackets) , I will ask them for the TSB once I am there (someone on the board may have it as well because I know many of the people have had the fix strictly for this problem). Also I believe that the date should be 7/27/04 but that is strictly from memory.

As far as the temp not updating, mine would take an hour or two to update unless I was going over speeds of 45 MPH, then it would take two minutes or so as you described. I remember driving around town for about 90 minutes once with the temp stuck at 74 and it was over 95 out. The upgrade resolved this problem.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
jcsganga34 said:
I am heading back to the dealer next week to have the recall work performed (radiator brackets) , I will ask them for the TSB once I am there (someone on the board may have it as well because I know many of the people have had the fix strictly for this problem). Also I believe that the date should be 7/27/04 but that is strictly from memory.

As far as the temp not updating, mine would take an hour or two to update unless I was going over speeds of 45 MPH, then it would take two minutes or so as you described. I remember driving around town for about 90 minutes once with the temp stuck at 74 and it was over 95 out. The upgrade resolved this problem.
If you could get that TSB info I'm sure lots of us here would be quite happy! The TSB number would allow us to guide the dealer to the right area and at least have the right questions to ask DC. If you could get a printout of the TSB and scan and post, even better.

(As an aside...I called one of the smaller rural Chrysler-Jeep dealers and asked the service manager about this update and he was quite up front about it. He basically said "Don't even bother to bring it in; there's no one here who's been trained on that car yet and we wouldn't try something like that". You'd think that since April, DC would have everybody up to speed on the service end.)

1 - 20 of 78 Posts