Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We all know the EVO/STI cars are boy racer types. In my opinion the M3 is one of these car with a tuxedo on.

I think if an M3 raced these new wave sling shots on a track (which is what the BMW M3 is all about) the M3 would finish 3rd. I think the M3 is a little over rated for what it is 50k? These little slingshots are 30k-36k, and have proven to be meaner on the track. If the slingshots would beef up their interior to the BMW level, by the way the interior level of the BMW 3 series isn't that great for the money, its just fair.

If Mitsu and Subi would bring up those interior levels and keep that same price range we would have a real winner, and the only thing the guy in the BMW could say is "look at me, I'm in a BMW :eek: "

At first I didn't really care for these little cars when they first came out, but now it's cutting into the spot light that expensive cars (M's, AMG's) could only touch for half the price. ;)

·
Registered
351 Posts
From my understanding the STi and EVO can get up in price to match the output of the M3.
M3 - 3.0L 6-cyl. - 300+ horses stock(going off memory)
STi and WRX - 2.5L 4-turbo 250+ horses (again memory)

IMO this is an unfair comparison you have to either dress down the m3 or dress up the other 2 to make it a good battle.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Evo is up to 274hp stock with an equal amount of torque I think. The STi is 300hp and 300fttq. The evo has a six speed and the STi has a 6 or 5 speed.

Ya, you would have to dress up the interior of the Evo and STi a bit, maybe 3 to 4 thousand worth, you'd still be saving over 12,000k and the evo and STi are better performers. Sure the BMW is a smooth superchared I think flat 6 cylinder but I'll give up the BMW badge and 6 cylinder anyday to take the M3 in a straight line and a curvy road and still have 12k in the bank.

Good points though T

STi fully loaded 33,500k

Evo MR edition fully loaded 36,400k

M3 starting MSRP 48k

·
Registered
83 Posts
both of thoose cars will kill a m3. i really didnt read any of the threads so if thats what u said im just repeating it. my buddy got a new sti pretty much fully loaded. its gopt a bunch of cool little things. like a engine colling spray, he can set his rpms to do something, he can also change where is hid's(which suck) shine. but i know the sti can beat the f out of a m3, and a c

·
Registered
677 Posts
The Subaru STi was the other car I was looking at before purchasing my 300c. You cannot compare it to a BMW M3. Its a stripped down rally car for the street. The M3 is a luxury sports car.

At the LA auto show this year, both the Mitsubishi Evo and the Suburu STi's carpet was wearing thin from one days worth of people entering and exiting the vehicles. I saw it myself. This is a known trait of the STis and they have their faults. They may haul ass and perform well on the track, but you get what you pay for everywhere else but performance wise. The subaru doesn't even have factory sound deadening.

·
Registered
323 Posts
honestly, until you drive an m3 and give it all its worth, you could probably not justify its price. i have also driven an evo with minor motor work and an sti with the boost turned all the way up. in my opinion, these cars can not hold a candle to the m3. the evo isnt that fast,but it is fun as hell. the sti is a bit faster, but no where near as fun as the evo. the m3 is by far the funnest car that i have ever driven. at one point, i was going to trade my car for an evo. that was when they first came out and i was about to trade a mercedes slk32 amg on it. the evo cant hold a candle to the amg. it will eat it alive. then i moved on to a 2002 m3 convertible smg which is the best that i have driven to date. it outhandles anything that i have ever driven or owned, which includes a few porsche models including a 2004 911 c4s. this car lives up to every expectations. i do think that the evos will beat the m3 on a road course IF boost was turned up and there was a great driver. another car that is in comparison with the evo/sti that is the vw r32 golf. my brother traded his porsche in on it and it is awesome. it is just as nice, if not nicer than the m3 inside, and is four wheel drive, and drives remarkebly like the 911 c4s. it is not as fast as the two, but it has more potential than the others. we are currently doing a little motor work to it, and now have a 40 hp increase over stock(240hp) with 280hp. we are thinking of vf supercharging which gives in the neighborhood of 450 horses to the wheels. check out hpa motorsports if you want and see their twin turbo r32 making 550 hp and runs less than 3.2 seconds to 60, 11 sec 1/4 and out handles enzo ferraris. nonetheless, the m3 is definitly worth the money, although expensive, but when you think about its competition i.e. $106,000 porsche c4s, it is well worth it.

·
BLOODY ADMENSTRUATOR
7,554 Posts
No Comparison!

The Evo and STi are rally racers, designed for tight turning, quick braking and acceleration on changing surfaces. Though streetable, you really can't dress them up, nor would you take them home to meet mom and dad.

Take either one out on a rally course and you'll have a blast. Don't even think of them as basic transportation, let alone cruising any distance. They will rattle the fillings out of your teeth and blow out your eardrums. Very few repeat buyers of these machines (except for ralliers).

The M3, on the other hand, is no one trick pony. It does it all - and does it better that most machines on the road. If you see an M3 in the hands of a skilled driver, I have only 5 words for you - GET OUT OF THE WAY!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Northern Rider, I own an STi with just about everything done to it (turbo exhaust, injectors, engine management, street/track coilover suspension etc. etc.) 450 HP / 430 TQ on a very mild tune. If you read my car's stats you would instantly think that it would be a horribly uncomfortable, undrivable and loud. I have put 15,000 miles with all the upgrades (20,000 total) on it with no fillings rattling or blown eardrums. In fact, for the first 4000 miles i didn't even have a stereo (they are not a stock accessory) and by no means was it loud. Unless you have driven an STi daily for the last year, don't make assumptions as to how the ride and noise are, because it really isn't all that bad.

I will admit it is a little loud now that it has a full 3" exhaust with no resonators or cats, but thats expected with the exhaust I put on.

As for repeat buyers, you are comepletely incorrect, Most people that own a Subaru will continue to buy Subarus. I plan on buying another STi when a new model comes out as my current STi will be a weekend/track car once i get the C, but in the mean time I'm going to build another Subaru conversion that will make my STi look like its standing still. Once you get into the "family" you never leave.

The cars are unbeatable in the snow with their AWD, something that M3s do not have. They run stock 12.9 1/4 miles and will spank most cars in the curves and straights that cost more than twice as much, so the STi in no way is a one trick pony. If anything the M3 is a one trick pony... However, if you need to have seat warmers and all that in a SPORTS car, then you can't compare the two. but last time i or any other true enthusaiasts went out to have a "spirited" drive, the last thing on our minds were a warm seat...

Not trying to start a fight, just trying to clear up some misconceptions about the STi that most people have...

·
BLOODY ADMENSTRUATOR
7,554 Posts
Hi 415_300C, as to how loud or uncomfortable a ride is, is all a matter of perception and opinion. I rallied competitively at the Canadian and American National level for several years. I have some international rally experience, as well.

Up until two years ago, I was doing winter testing for the Rally development program of a major manufacturer. This invloved driving not only their cars but the others such as the STi and Evo at WOT on icy, narrow logging roads.

My job was to try and break the car. We had certain "whoop-de-doo" sections guaranteed to take the vehicle airborne. We also tried to demolish the suspension on ruts, rocks, potholes, etc. As you know, there are different flavours of Sti's. The international competition version is hand build and are valued in the hundreds of thousands.

I am not certain which flavour you have, but many owners enter national level events with just roll cages, extra lighting, skid plates and 4 point harnesses installed.

I appreciate you love your car. I love them too. And you want to continue to drive one as a daily driver.

My comments were not an attack on your ride. Most STi and Evo owners do move onto something else. And the whole point of the post was to say that trying to compare rally cars to a BMW M3 is a non-starter. Different cars; different market.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Sounds like you have had quite a bit of fun in your time with rallying etc., lucky you.

I'm really building a reliable daily driver that is also a top contendor on the track. I'm not so much into the rallying as I am track driving, because its much easier to do track days then it is to find a true rally place etc.

All this will change though once I get the C, which I just heard is rolling onto the truck and headed my way... now i have the that 7-10 day wait as the truck meanders its way across the country.

Once I get the C the STi will become a weekend car first with a more agressive tune for higher octane race gas, then as the biudget allows strictly a track car with an evem more aggressive tune, stripped interior, different front and rear diffs, cage etc.

btw, I definitely didn't take your comments as an attack, everyone has their opinions and ideas about tthings, and thats why its so great to have a community like this, we all get to share our knowledge, ideas etc and talk about them in a civilized manner (or so we hope)

I'm Richard by the way, i see your name a lot on the boards and as soon as I get my C, i'm sure you'll see mine as well! nice to "meet" you!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Based on my real world experience, I have to second the sentiments of 415 300C as to the loyalty of Subaru owners. Three of my four kids, two sons and a daughter, own STis and love them. My oldest son has a 420 hp WRX to go along with his STi. They would all buy another STi in a heartbeat. My fourth kid drives an M3 and although he loves it, he isn't near as loyal. In fact he keeps talking of selling it and getting an STi like his siblings. That way he can still have a true performance car at half the payment.

However, I do agree with Northern Rider. Comparing STis and M3s is apples and oranges.

·
Registered
78 Posts
AWD 300C, agreed comepletely, and it really has a lot to do with the person.

One part of me is a speed junkie and "gearhead", so the STi as a fast and moddifiable car was a natural choice. The subaru community is very close and large, so once you get into subarus its like getting a whole new set of friends that all share the same passion, and thats why its difficult to leave once you are "in".

Obviosuly the same goes for M3s and their followers but moddification and the people are a different level, as you usually older and not as performance crazed, as the younger subaru crowd.

Both cars are amazing , and both are leaders in their respective "classes", but I agree they are like apples and oranges

·
Registered
677 Posts
Once you drive an STi there is no turning back. I have dreams about that shifter click, turbo spool, and that gearbox whine. Nothing compares to a rally car as far as fun driving is concerned. I came within 1 hours time of buying the STi over the 300c, and everytime I see one on the road my heart sinks. My commute would sure suck with a 6 speed manual, but what the hell, you only live once.

415_300c you interested in a trade for a day? :D:D:D I want one as a track car too.

·
Registered
78 Posts
you've got 7-10 days to trade, then i'll have my own 300c ;)

too bad your in so cal, if you were up north i would definitely take you out one day, who knows maybe if i make it down to socal for a track day or just because i want to go south for the weekend we can meet up...

·
Registered
78 Posts
it may be the other way around, i'm still madly in love with the STi, a year and a half later. thinking of not driving it makes me sad...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts