Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I removed my whole exhaust up to the middle of my Chrysler 300c 2005. It sounds great but curious on if I should be riding around like that for a long period of time or if I should buy a new exhaust (don’t know much about cars btw)

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
It's not really clear to me what you've done.

Your stock exhaust has a dual-inlet, dual-outlet mid-muffler (sometimes called a "suitcase" or "butterfly" muffler). If you removed that, you're looking at a very short exhaust. I wouldn't drive around like that, you're running a risk of getting fumes into the passenger compartment. Plus the resonance would likely be overwhelming.

If you hacked off the resonators in the tail and left the mid-muffler, and you're happy with the sound (and resonance), you can have a muffler shop cobble up some shiatty mild steel resonator eliminator pipes, so the exhaust will at least exit under the bumper like it's supposed to.

There are some excellent aftermarket exhaust options, but I personally wouldn't spend $1000 or so on an exhaust for a nearly twelve-year-old 300.

There are some aftermarket catbacks in the $500 range, but they're not very good at all.

Next time, consider modifying your stock exhaust instead of cutting it to pieces.

·
Registered
2006 Chrysler 300c SRT8 w/ a Hellcat Supercharger
74 Posts
I had a $400 3in Flowmaster clone on my 300c for around 4 years with different configurations. The pipes are still great, I have removed the mufflers and now it is just a 3in straight pipe system. You do not have to spend a lot of money, at this point all the systems are pretty old and easy to manufacture.

My brother runs his 300c with just the x pipe before the suitcase muffler. Besides less torque he does not have an issue yet with heat or fumes. I would not recommend it, but it is do able. You can always put connectors on your old exhaust and put it back up, then modify the stock one like mentioned above.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I had a $400 3in Flowmaster clone on my 300c for around 4 years with different configurations. The pipes are still great, I have removed the mufflers and now it is just a 3in straight pipe system. You do not have to spend a lot of money, at this point all the systems are pretty old and easy to manufacture.

My brother runs his 300c with just the x pipe before the suitcase muffler. Besides less torque he does not have an issue yet with heat or fumes. I would not recommend it, but it is do able. You can always put connectors on your old exhaust and put it back up, then modify the stock one like mentioned above.

Yes I’m doing what your brother is doing right now. I mean it sounds great I’m just worried ab fumes and how long I should drive like that before straight piping it or getting glasspacks

·
Registered
2006 Chrysler 300c SRT8 w/ a Hellcat Supercharger
74 Posts
Yes I’m doing what your brother is doing right now. I mean it sounds great I’m just worried ab fumes and how long I should drive like that before straight piping it or getting glasspacks
It is fine for getting from a to b. You can get ticketed for not having an exhaust that clears the cabin. The exhaust coming out below your drive shaft is also a concern, it will just accelerate wear over time. It will most likely be fine. My car smells more without cats than my brothers does without a proper exhaust.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Some states allow straight exhaust. Like Florida and Tennessee. Not knowing where you hail from, it's hard to say. But, any Commonwealth state, or as I call them, Communistwealth states, no, you are 100 percent prohibited from running straight exhaust.In Virginia, you have to have your vehicle inspected every year.. No muffler, no cats, you get failed.And, contrary to popular belief, in Virginia, a rejection sticker does NOT allow you to drive the vehicle for 7 days. You get pulled, you get a ticket. Henrico, Hanover, Richmond city, Chesterfield (Arrestafield), you WILL get the ticket! And the judges ALWAYS convict! They give no quarter, not mercy.

·
Registered
120 Posts
You need to be careful where it dumps under the car too heatwise. Melted gas tanks and other items are no fun...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts