Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody put exhaust cutouts on a 300C? I've seen and heard them, but I've never used them. I was looking around for an exaust system, when I ran across some of these from DMH performance. Seems it could be the best of both worlds.......low key factory exhaust one minute, then push button Hemi grumling the next minute. Not to mention the performance gains from an open exhaust. That would be an imposing sound for those pesky ricers. Anything I'm missing here? Anything to be concerned with?

·
Premium Member
4,071 Posts
300CmeFLY said:
Anything to be concerned with?

Aside from tickets for noise pollution no....No problems. It's been kicked around but nobody's tried it.

Go fer it and let us know!

·
Registered
482 Posts
If these cutouts are very near the headers, or inportantly the exhaust ports, it can cause warping of the valves by allowing them to cool down too rapidly.

·
Premium Member
4,071 Posts
Model 57 said:
If these cutouts are very near the headers, or inportantly the exhaust ports, it can cause warping of the valves by allowing them to cool down too rapidly.

Uh, ok...That's the first I've ever heard of that. I'm pretty sure the valves will still be hot as hell even with cutouts and I don't suppose they will cool even remotely as fast as they would if you had simply shut the engine down and let it cool to room temperature.

·
Registered
482 Posts
That is what I meant; when you shut the engine off, it's a really good idea to close the cutouts before shutting down.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
How to cutouts work? The only thing I've ever seen about them was on some discovery channel special about GM, it showed some 60's movie where a guy sees these girls walk by so he flips a switch and the engine roars because it cutout the exhaust.

·
Premium Member
1,151 Posts
marlinspike said:
How to cutouts work? The only thing I've ever seen about them was on some discovery channel special about GM, it showed some 60's movie where a guy sees these girls walk by so he flips a switch and the engine roars because it cutout the exhaust.
Here are a few different types...

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=+exhaust+cutouts

·
Registered
162 Posts
jjs said:
Actually you can suck a valve... The motors natural instinct is to suck back in, if you have ever heard a built motor with open headers (uncorked headers) you will notice that if the motor is at wide open and then closed the exhaust will pop and sometimes shoot out a flame. This is because there is hot air coming out and cold air trying to get in.... Not a good idea.... I have a 1962 nova with a built 355 sbc in it, I ran open headers for the Route 66 Cruise and on my way home I sucked a valve. It easier to do then people think....

·
Registered
349 Posts
Great info. I'm wondering if the problem was do to the long trip or the cold air?

·
BLOODY ADMENSTRUATOR
7,554 Posts
. . . a long time ago, a young NR had a '56 Crown Vic with Thrush glass packs and dual header dumps into chrome Laker pipes down the rocker panels.

Pull the wire cables to open the dumps - the sound was deafening!

Car looked a lot like this:

·
Registered
362 Posts
good god NR!!! if that picture was of your exact car, you were one lucky (young) man! that is absolutly breathtaking, and i cant imagine what it sounded like! i just hope that it found a suitable home now because that is one classic if you ask me.

now the question still remains....ARE EXHAUST CUTOUTS POSSIBLE ON A 300C?!?!?!?

·
BLOODY ADMENSTRUATOR
7,554 Posts
Nope. Mine was identical to that one in colour and with the smoked glass roof, but I had chromed Laker pipes running the length of the rocker panels.

As to the question . . . I don't know. We had no catalytic converters back then, no computers - not even a hand calculator. We just bolted in a "dump" valve behind the headers, and controlled the open/shut with a cable.

Lots of issues with newer engines.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I ran dual cutouts on my 2000 LS1 Z28..... No issues or problems at all. I never closed them. I have been throwing the idea around of putting them on the magnum, But they are still sitting on the bench at work.

Amber

·
Registered
172 Posts
Yeah sorry to bring back on old thread I've got some pics I took during the install. I got them done at F-body central in baltimore. They did some awesome custom work for me pretty cheap. Ill get the pics up in a few min.

·
Registered
113 Posts
do you have a video where in the same video you rev it up, then you do it again with the cutouts? This would help us hear the difference.

·
Premium Member
4,071 Posts
That's awesome! Thanks Hyprspec. One question though, do you just put caps on them when you're not using them or do you have the eltronically controlled units?

That sounds like a full out race car. Since I love the sound of my stock exhaust, but I want the performance benefit of the highflow cats, I might put high flows with cutouts that way it can be quiet when I want it! :eek: ... So long as I can control them remotely.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts