Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
quick background...

new 300C owner....Steel Silver, 22" Tezzen Flexin, tinted windows...this car looks unbelievable and I'm hooked on the performance as well. Funny, I've never been a big auto enthusiast but I guess at 41 this car has hooked me. So to the question...

I want more performance and I'm looking at adding a cat-back exhaust, probably a K&N intake system.

I've been recommended some dude that does some custom exhaust systems for 300C's out here in SoCal. He uses a flowmaster exhaust and 3" + magnesium...get to pick out my own tips..ect. all for about $600. The alternative I see is simply buying a flowmaster of Borla exhaust system and having it installed. Any suggestions or recommendations to ensure I get the performance and sound that I want?

Thanks in advance for anyone's insight

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
Zoomers Exhaust

If you haven't heard of Zoomers Check it out. We're a supporting vendor hear and have very many satisfied customers :banana: Here the thread to the first test and group buy we did, lots of good info...
http://www.300cforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6658&highlight=Zoomers

Video: http://www.zoomersexhaust.com/300C.htm

We're also running a group buy at www.lxforums.com you can get in on and save 15%. If your not a member already please join it's another great forum site.

http://www.lxforums.com/board/showthread.php?t=16583

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
There are plenty of options out there and more coming. Each of the systems has there +'s & -'s, it just depends on the sound. I've heard the Flowmaster on a Charger and the sound is aggressive. I've heard the Zoomers, Magnaflow, and Borla they will all give you the performance you are looking for. The question is the sound and interior noise level which becomes a personal decsion. The Magnaflow and Borla would be the quitest of them until you jump on it. Depending on your time frame you might want to wait until the Oct. 15 So Cal meet. Then you can hear them all and make a choice. Here is the link with the details.

http://www.300cforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10014&page=1&pp=10

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
costamesahusker said:
quick background...

new 300C owner....Steel Silver, 22" Tezzen Flexin, tinted windows...this car looks unbelievable and I'm hooked on the performance as well. Funny, I've never been a big auto enthusiast but I guess at 41 this car has hooked me. So to the question...
I want more performance and I'm looking at adding a cat-back exhaust, probably a K&N intake system.
I've been recommended some dude that does some custom exhaust systems for 300C's out here in SoCal. He uses a flowmaster exhaust and 3" + magnesium...get to pick out my own tips..ect. all for about $600. The alternative I see is simply buying a flowmaster of Borla exhaust system and having it installed. Any suggestions or recommendations to ensure I get the performance and sound that I want?

I have the Flowmaster's,3" pipes,4" exhaust tips; Sound
was a little much for Fiance'-added 12" glasspack muffler to each side-still has that "Nice Rumble" at idle,a "Growl" when you start to accelerate,and a "Roar" at WOT..LOL.
All in all,it sounds pretty good,"In My Personal Opinion" of course..and you know what they say about opinions

·
Administrator
3,667 Posts
Hey CMH, welcome to the forums! :wave:
Here's my suggestion... sign up here for our Oct. SoCal Meet - right in your own backyard! you can take a look and listen to what your fellow members have done with exhaust and other mods as well.

Hope to see you there... You'll have a field day!! :biggrin:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
fatchance said:
There are plenty of options out there and more coming. Each of the systems has there +'s & -'s, it just depends on the sound. I've heard the Flowmaster on a Charger and the sound is aggressive. I've heard the Zoomers, Magnaflow, and Borla they will all give you the performance you are looking for. The question is the sound and interior noise level which becomes a personal decsion. The Magnaflow and Borla would be the quitest of them until you jump on it. Depending on your time frame you might want to wait until the Oct. 15 So Cal meet. Then you can hear them all and make a choice. Here is the link with the details.

Thanks for the advice and information. I think I'll join you folks and get some ideas then....have a great week-end! Freaking love this car :friday:

·
Administrator
3,667 Posts
fatchance said:
..... Depending on your time frame you might want to wait until the Oct. 15 So Cal meet. Then you can hear them all and make a choice. Here is the link with the details.
:silly: Sorry fatchance, I didn't read your entire post :dunce: ...didn't mean to step on toes.
Glad to see he'll join us and maybe he'll give my "invitation" to another 300 owner :wavey:

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
What do you want from the exhaust?

Race: Maximum power, no consideration for drivability aesthetics or noise
Street/Strip: Good power, minimal consideration for drivability and aesthetics but noise compliant
Street/Performance: Moderate power, consideration for drivability, aesthetics and noise compliant
Street/Show: Minimal power, consideration aesthetics, drivability and noise compliant.
Show: Minimal or No power, consideration for design and appearance only may or may not be noise compliant.

Your own ears are your best means to judge sounds. Sound clips are still only as good as they are recorded and in the conditions they are recorded.

There are plenty of pictures to measure aesthetic appeal. I found pictures of all manufactures' parts.

Unfortunately their doesn't seem to be a lot of performance data in terms of 1/4 mile data or dynos. I could only find dyno charts for the MagnaFlow offering.

Borla: http://www.borla.com/products/product_detail.aspx?prod_sku=140112
Flowmaster: http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/p...d=4006&zenid=8670cb7d8ad8636f060795fc6a5d074e
MagnaFlow: http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/shopexd.asp?zone=American&id=361
Mopar: Borla product
Zoomers: see above post

Richard

·
Registered
73 Posts
btlfed1500 said:
What do you want from the exhaust?

Race: Maximum power, no consideration for drivability aesthetics or noise
Street/Strip: Good power, minimal consideration for drivability and aesthetics but noise compliant
Street/Performance: Moderate power, consideration for drivability, aesthetics and noise compliant
Street/Show: Minimal power, consideration aesthetics, drivability and noise compliant.
Show: Minimal or No power, consideration for design and appearance only may or may not be noise compliant.

Your own ears are your best means to judge sounds. Sound clips are still only as good as they are recorded and in the conditions they are recorded.

There are plenty of pictures to measure aesthetic appeal. I found pictures of all manufactures' parts.

Unfortunately their doesn't seem to be a lot of performance data in terms of 1/4 mile data or dynos. I could only find dyno charts for the MagnaFlow offering.

Borla: http://www.borla.com/products/product_detail.aspx?prod_sku=140112
Flowmaster: http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/p...d=4006&zenid=8670cb7d8ad8636f060795fc6a5d074e
MagnaFlow: http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/shopexd.asp?zone=American&id=361
Mopar: Borla product
Zoomers: see above post

Richard
Richard,

Care to offer an assessment or comparison of the Borla SRT8 Catback dyno results?

http://www.300cforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9931

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
3SRT4ME said:
Richard,

Care to offer an assessment or comparison of the Borla SRT8 Catback dyno results?

http://www.300cforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9931

Thanks.
The numbers quoted are a little off from what I am used to seeing ... are these simluated numbers or actual dyno passes?

ALL SRT-8s have the ability to be run in a gear locked from 2000 rpm to redline when in manual mode with the auto stick. See here:

To any avail comparing numbers is stil difficult with all the variables: Weather conditions, type of dyno, correction factors and differnt vehicles.

When I get back into town I will plot my charts vs speed instead of RPM to give you somethign to compare to.

Richard

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
3SRT4ME said:
Excellent, thank you sir.
I love having competent staff ... thanks Gabe:

Here is the same chart from above listed by mph. Testing is conducted in 1:1 drive line ratio (4th gear-auto stick)

FROM DAIMLIER-CHRYSLER SPECS:
TRANSMISSION: W5A580 FIVE-SPEED AUTOMATIC
1st 3.59:1 2nd 2.19:1 3rd 1.41:1 4th 1.00:1 5th: 0.83:1 Final Drive Ratio 3.06:1

You can see in 1:1 ratio the following occurs @ 97.8 mph (closest we could get):

Stock RWHP: 236.8
Stock RWTQ: 336.7

MagnaFlow RWHP: 253.9
MagnaFlow RWTQ: 360.5

Net HP gains @ 97.8 mph = 17.1 HP
Net TQ gains @ 97.8 mph = 23.8 LB-FT

I cannot get the numbers to match up in any way comparing the info from your previous post regarding HP. As I said I felt the HP numbers are too high by speed unless this is a simulation pass with an in-car accellerometer or other devise. I am measuring 236 rwhp stock and the other number is 317 rwhp ... seems high for 1:1 ratio @ 3800 rpm (97.8 mph in 4th gear)

This gives you the data you want ... However I cant say the info is all that comparable.

Richard

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
Follow up on a differnt car tested with full automatic trans shifting:

Here is the graph for that car runnind in D. Graph shows 2nd shifting into 3rd shifting into 4th. 97.8 mph occurs in 3rd gear @ WOT ... 3rd gear is 1.41:1 underdrive:

Stock RWHP: 357.1
Stock RWTQ: 357.9

MagnaFlow RWHP: 368.0
MagnaFlow RWTQ: 369.7

As you can see I cant get the numbers to match in any fashion. To be comparable you woudl have to know HOW the data was gathered ... PTO/WOT and by which means.

Try and get some more information or better yet a graph and I will see what I can do to clarify.

Richard

·
Registered
73 Posts
btlfed1500 said:
As you can see I cant get the numbers to match in any fashion. To be comparable you woudl have to know HOW the data was gathered ... PTO/WOT and by which means.

Try and get some more information or better yet a graph and I will see what I can do to clarify.

Richard
Well, regardless of whether Borla is willing to pass along additional information to use for comparison sake, I think it speaks volumes that Magnaflow is ready, willing and able to offer objective comparisons of its system vs its competitors. Good show Richard!

·
Registered
227 Posts
exhaust advice

costamesahusker said:
quick background...

I recommend that you go with your custom guy ( if indeed he's reputable).Why replace a perfectly good "H" pipe for after market.My total cost was $ 441.00. :AR15firin :AR15firin :AR15firin :AR15firin

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
charlie D said:
I recommend that you go with your custom guy ( if indeed he's reputable).Why replace a perfectly good "H" pipe for after market
Indeed .. finding reputable shops is part of why kits are bought from reputable manufactures. No guess work. We do have an extensive network of authorized installtion shops and dealers who can get you int he right direction if you are looking for places to go.

Where's the "H" pipe? if you replace the mufflers or any other part of the system you dramatically effect the ability of a "cross-over/balance tube" to work. It is an integral part of the OEM's tuning. Simple muffler swaps compromise design integrity. Will the cross-over still function? surely but will it work as designed? Not 100%.

Richard

·
Registered
3 Posts
teebag

Gentlemen, I'm new at this but my wife has a black 300c. The answer to where's the H pipe is valid. We have a Flowmaster cat back kit that includes an H pipe. It is all mandrel bent aluminized tubing with the new Super 40 mufflers with resonaters and polished stainless tips with flowmaster embossed on the tips. All Flowmaster kits are chassis dynoed and electronically tuned for the vehicle they are installed on. The installation took less than 40 minutes with no one in a hurry. That included taking out the stock system. You can barely hear it on the inside, Cd's sound great. But outside is a nice deep rumble. She said there was noticible throttle response difference. It bolts up to all stock hardware.

teebag

btlfed1500 said:
Indeed .. finding reputable shops is part of why kits are bought from reputable manufactures. No guess work. We do have an extensive network of authorized installtion shops and dealers who can get you int he right direction if you are looking for places to go.

Where's the "H" pipe? if you replace the mufflers or any other part of the system you dramatically effect the ability of a "cross-over/balance tube" to work. It is an integral part of the OEM's tuning. Simple muffler swaps compromise design integrity. Will the cross-over still function? surely but will it work as designed? Not 100%.

Richard

·
Registered
435 Posts
3SRT4ME said:
Well, regardless of whether Borla is willing to pass along additional information to use for comparison sake, I think it speaks volumes that Magnaflow is ready, willing and able to offer objective comparisons of its system vs its competitors. Good show Richard!
I echo these remarks. btlfed and the MF team are the only ones (as far as I can see) to back up the words and hype with actual science, at least for the SRT.

Can't wait for delivery.

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
teebag said:
Gentlemen, I'm new at this but my wife has a black 300c. The answer to where's the H pipe is valid. We have a Flowmaster cat back kit that includes an H pipe. It is all mandrel bent aluminized tubing with the new Super 40 mufflers with resonaters and polished stainless tips with flowmaster embossed on the tips. All Flowmaster kits are chassis dynoed and electronically tuned for the vehicle they are installed on. The installation took less than 40 minutes with no one in a hurry. That included taking out the stock system. You can barely hear it on the inside, Cd's sound great. But outside is a nice deep rumble. She said there was noticible throttle response difference. It bolts up to all stock hardware.

teebag
Flowmaster does have a scavenger pipe but it is a unique design ..more resembling an X than H but really it is unique to itself. Again, buying from a reputable ... established manufacturer (Flowmaster has proven itself in the market) saves the headache of buyers remorse. No doubt at an increased cost, but definately for peice of mind.

No matter which system you choose ... the old days of simple muffler swaps are not exactly the easiest way to get proven power and sound. Trial and error is costly but don't fret .. there are still competent and reputable exhaust shops, but you will have to do a little searching and asking.

It is a good time and place to be a consumer when you have a good amount of aftermarket support. Too many choices is better than too few :)

Richard

1 - 20 of 20 Posts