Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fellas,

need a little guidance on which route to take. I am close to getting some exhaust on my 5.7 but kinda stuck on what to do. I have been looking at Cat Back systems until i stopped at a Muffler shop last night.

So what are the advantages of a Cat Back system vs. replacing the stock mufflers with FlowMasters Super 40's or 44's and deleting the resonators? there seems to be a BIG difference in price.

What are some of exhausts that are out there I have heard the SLP Loudmouth I and II's I like them but may be a little too much when my family is with me on long trips or out and about and i do not want ALOT of drone either. A little is ok since i can drown it out with Liquid Metal :headbang:

With that being said I turned to FLowMasters Super 44's. Wanted the American Thunder series but a co-worker has that on his Charger already....so wanted something different than what he has....

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Tony

·
Registered
117 Posts
Good question bud I'm trying to figure out what route to take myself too... I personally think I'm going to delete the resonators for now... I would like to see what other people have to say first though!

·
Registered
562 Posts
Another thing to keep in mind....MDS. Removing the resos will cause lots of drone.

Reactions: [email protected]

·
Registered
562 Posts
I had a magnaflow catback on my car, it has a muffler and rear resos on it. Nice mellow sound and really opens up at WOT. No annoying drone, a little on acceleration but that's it. I have a GTHaus exhaust now that and again no drone.
Listen to some of those exhausts without resonators, I can all but guarantee that there is drone inside the car.
Back when I had my Charger, I swapped the factory muffler for a pair of flowmasters, sounded great and I left the resonators on. Couple hundred bucks for the mufflers and installation, great sounding exhaust.

Reactions: [email protected]

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had a magnaflow catback on my car, it has a muffler and rear resos on it. Nice mellow sound and really opens up at WOT. No annoying drone, a little on acceleration but that's it. I have a GTHaus exhaust now that and again no drone.
Listen to some of those exhausts without resonators, I can all but guarantee that there is drone inside the car.
Back when I had my Charger, I swapped the factory muffler for a pair of flowmasters, sounded great and I left the resonators on. Couple hundred bucks for the mufflers and installation, great sounding exhaust.
Great thanks for the info. I will be getting my mufflers swapped out for now.Then probably go with a Header/CatBack system later down the road.

The shop said that I could test it out before taking out the reso's to see if I wanted them to take those out as well.

What series of Flowmasters did you have on your Charger? it was a 5.7 I'm sure?

·
Registered
61 Posts
The Magnaflow sounds great when it is in V8 mode w/ no drone but sounds horrible when MDS kicks in. My passengers always ask what is wrong with my car when MDS first kicks in.
Throw in some serious fitment issues and I wouldn't recommend it, nor would I buy it again. Mine took countless adjustments and eventually the removal of both exhaust cross braces to get it to stop vibrating on them.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
7,078 Posts
The big differances between the high priced catbacks and th reasonablie priced units .. is quality I.E wont rust out in a couple of years and lack of drone.. Corsa and Zoomers are two of the best catbacks out there .. they sound awsome at any speed and will last a long time.. i have had my Zoomers for 8 years mow and she's still shiney. Was it worth 1400 .. well thats up to you, but it was too me.. i hate a rusty exhaust.

·
Registered
562 Posts
The Magnaflow sounds great when it is in V8 mode w/ no drone but sounds horrible when MDS kicks in. My passengers always ask what is wrong with my car when MDS first kicks in.
Throw in some serious fitment issues and I wouldn't recommend it, nor would I buy it again. Mine took countless adjustments and eventually the removal of both exhaust cross braces to get it to stop vibrating on them.

My Magnaflow came with spacers for the cross braces and never rattled against them. Aligning the tips took a couple tries though.

Interestingly, my GTHaus exhaust has no spacers, rattles against nothing and fit perfect.

·
Registered
61 Posts
My Magnaflow came with spacers for the cross braces and never rattled against them.

Interesting, mine came with no such spacers. I wonder if they were added later due to complaints. I will have to call them to see if they can send me some. Do the spacers stay on the car or are you just talking about during installation?
Because mine went on fine but would "droop" after about 200 miles. I would continually loosen everything, place blocks between the pipes and braces then retighten, but after a few hundred miles they'd droop and rattle again. I finally just took the braces off, though I'd rather have them on.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Interesting, mine came with no such spacers. I wonder if they were added later due to complaints. I will have to call them to see if they can send me some. Do the spacers stay on the car or are you just talking about during installation?
Because mine went on fine but would "droop" after about 200 miles. I would continually loosen everything, place blocks between the pipes and braces then retighten, but after a few hundred miles they'd droop and rattle again. I finally just took the braces off, though I'd rather have them on.

They stay on the car, puts the braces further away from the floorpan. You can also just use a couple washers on each stud.

·
Premium Member
457 Posts
I just put a Borla Touring Catback exhaust on my 2012 300S V8 and I absolutely love it. It's only slightly louder than stock at idle and normal acceleration with a nice deep note. At WOT she roars. No drone what so ever. I run with MDS off because I hate it but I ran it for 2 days with the MDS on to test for drone and there was none. With that said, this exhaust is louder than stock so the different exhaust note that MDS makes was proportionately louder, but definitely not drone. I couldn't hear it with the radio on at all.

Sodak talked about quality and Borla is a top quality system. I paid around $1,150.00 plus install. I think that it is well worth it for no rust and a lifetime warrantee. The Borla "Touring" is the "quietest" of their lineup. Here is a clip.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts