Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

Exhaust - Which one?

5K views 28 replies 20 participants last post by  Meister 
#1 ·
I am looking for a performance increase and of course sound but I can't decide which system to get.. I am leaning towards Borla but I also like magnaflows.. I do not want the resonance with louder exhaust systems.. What do you think? I need your help, will be buying a system in the next day or so.. I will be getting the Dynotech system also if that makes a difference..

#2 ·
dsg049c said:
I am looking for a performance increase and of course sound but I can't decide which system to get.. I am leaning towards Borla but I also like magnaflows.. I do not want the resonance with louder exhaust systems.. What do you think? I need your help, will be buying a system in the next day or so.. I will be getting the Dynotech system also if that makes a difference..

Hello? :feedback:

#3 ·
You didn't get a reply from anyone because there are about a hundred threads on aftermarket exhausts and everyone can't respond over and over again. Use the search feature above and you'll get more than enough information.

Good luck!

#4 ·
My Magnaflow for stock. Wanna trade?

Just installed the Magnaflow on my SRT8. The sound is too aggressive for my tastes. I'd be willing to make a straight up trade for the stock system. Anyone interested?

#5 ·
You know, I never like the "use the search function response." Some people are searchword challeneged, so if you've read the threads you could say some keywords that will take them to the better threads. All I can say on exhausts is what I've read: the zoomers are way loud, the magnaflows are more for normal people. I haven't heard anything about the Borlas. Hennessey sells the magnaflows and to me that says something.

#6 ·
I have an '05, 300c and with the Borla cat back system and it's awsome. The sound is just enough for that nice growl at start up and settles into a steady rumble until you hit the gas and can really hear the Hemi.

Installed the Magnaflow cat back on my '06 SRT8. The performance gains are noticalbe but the sound is it a little "over the top for me". I can see how a lot of guys would like it, but I'm more into the understated sound of the Borla.

#7 ·
marlinspike said:
You know, I never like the "use the search function response." Some people are searchword challenged, so if you've read the threads you could say some keywords that will take them to the better threads....
Although utilizing the forum's 'Search' function will help reduce many needless posts, I'll also have to agree, that I don't like seeing that particular response 'thrown-out' either, especially at the newer forum members...it's rather discouraging IMHO. :sad:

dsg049c,

Well, I have the custom 'Zoomers' dual exhaust system on my car, and my wife also loves the exhaust note as well...I guess this makes us both not 'normal people'; however, I'm sure I can find many other forum members who'll agree with us that the 'Zoomers' have that distinctive 'muscle car' rumble at idle and they're certainly not that noticeable at cruising speeds. They have absolutely no inherent resonance/drone problems whatsoever, and 'WOT' will make you smile from ear-to-ear. :wink1:

I also just had a 'Flowmaster' 40 series exhaust system installed on my son's truck this past week, and that system also sounds great...makes his little truck sound much 'heftier'. I'd suggest maybe researching some of the exhaust manufacturer's websites which should have some sample sound clips. Better yet, attend a local car show where you can possibly hear the different type of exhaust systems (possibly on a car like yours) and then you can judge for yourself. I decided on 'Zoomers' for my '300 series' after having attended one of our previous Western Regional meets and hearing this particular system on some of our members' '300 series' vehicles. :fing02:

#9 ·
Magnaflow...

Just though you'd like to know...
I just had the MAGNAFLOW quad tip exhaust system install on my 300 (3.5L) --- and to be honest its been a bit annoying... maybe I just need time to adjust to it as its only been less than a week...!!

But this system looks great (those quad tips really set it off)!!! The 'issue' is the droning resonance... Ive noticed it rather more on the couple of short highway spins. Im taking it on a 4-hour ride next week and kinda dreading the drone!! Any suggestions for sound deadning/proofing or suppression?

Also, the "voice" on my nav system seems a bit quiet (existed prior to Magnaflow)... how can I increase "her" vocal volume?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer...

Sundown
Fort Worth, Texas

2005 300 Signature Series
Midnight Blue Pearl
two-tone interior
Magnaflow quad-tip exhaust
Eibach Pro lowered
SS everywhere
tail flip
22s

dsg049c said:

#10 ·
sundown said:
I just had the MAGNAFLOW quad tip exhaust system install on my 300 (3.5L) --- and to be honest its been a bit annoying... maybe I just need time to adjust to it as its only been less than a week...!!
That's interesting. How many miles do you have on your 300? It will take about 500 to 600 miles for the Magnaflow system to settle in and the system will become a small bit louder as the packing material settles. And this is normal with most manufacturers' systems.

Is the "problem" you're experiencing resonance at a particular rpm or is it the drone (background noise at highway speeds)?

#11 ·
Magnaflows

gotta go this route...
I had several people "stop" by my car yesterday to hear the "flows" and compare to the others out there...
all but one walked away saying which one they were going with...
and it was the Magnaflows...
and the other didn't say much , but I think he liked them...

#12 ·
dsg049c said:
Hands down...Zoomers. You get a little resonance between 2700-3000RPM but before and after it is QUIET. Sounds great on start-up...like a Hemi should sound. If you've noticed, the others listed either get a thumbs up for sounding too loud or a thumbs down for sounding too loud...do yourself a favor and call Frank or Ron at Zoomers.

I had mine installed at a local MagnaFlow dealer...the entire shop all agreed they sounded better than anything they sold. I agree, so much so I bought it for my Ram.

#13 · (Edited)
dsg049c said:
Plenty of choices for these cars ranging from loud to subtle.

My best advice is to listen to them in person but next closest is to listen to some sound clips. Everyone "hears" different things and everyone has different preferences.

Here are some threads regarding MagnaFlow's offerings:
Pictures / Sound Clips / Dyno Charts:

300 C SRT-8 6.1L<===Click Here For Details

300 C 5.7L<===Click Here For Details

300 2.7L / 3.5L / 3.5L HO<===Click Here For Details

#15 ·
Thanks for all of the info.. I went with the Borla system.. My wife will be inheriting this car in about a year and she wants it to be as quite as possible, but of course she likes the extra HP.. Thanks for your input.. Now to order the Long Tubes... :biggrin:

#16 ·
[QUOTE=

Also, the "voice" on my nav system seems a bit quiet (existed prior to Magnaflow)... how can I increase "her" vocal volume?

Sundown,
Select "System Settings" on the menu and move joystick to highlight
"Guidance Setup". Move joystick to "Volume" and highlight the numerical
volume setting desired; then press "Enter". followed by selecting "Done" and
"Enter" again to save the setting. Hope this works for you.

#17 ·
jimmymac...

2 ways to "increase" her voice...
1-as she is giving directions hit the volume up button on your sterring wheel.
2-look in the book to do it when she is not giving directions on how to adjust
good luck!
Sincerely,

#20 ·
i think defining the word "drone" is critical in this discussion. can you hear the MDS go in and out with zoomers? yes you can. can you hear it with magnaflows? yes you can. is the definition of what you hear a "drone" sound? id say in both it is more of a "blubber" sound. personally, its not that annoying to me with either system. more imprtant to me is the sound at WOT and when accelerating, and the sound when just grannying about town. since having a free flowing catback system in my c, there is no way i could go back to stock...sounds and looks way to good this way, whatever system you choose :)

#21 · (Edited)
#22 ·
MAGNAFLOW Performance Exhaust (quad-tip) droning...

The sound is great at start-up and quiets nicely at idle. As I ride down the main street at about 30-35 mph the sound is a bit aggravating, but then when I give it some boot it REALLY sounds nice again... for a few seconds... then its back to the droning. I havent driven the system the over 500+ miles mark yet so I am hoping it is a bit quieter after that point.

It seems most agitating when cruising at speeds around40-ish... that the tones just have a bit too much resonance... When Im on the h-way (doing about 60 or so) that nice 'tone' switches to an annoying 'noise'; forcing me to occassionally ease off on the right foot in order to regain some cabin serenity...

NOTE: I didnt take it on the trip last week as I didnt want to deal with the issue; but I did have some 'sound deadener' added under my trunk liner and seems to have helped, but not much.

Any ideas...???

HighHorseman said:
That's interesting. How many miles do you have on your 300? It will take about 500 to 600 miles for the Magnaflow system to settle in and the system will become a small bit louder as the packing material settles. And this is normal with most manufacturers' systems.

Is the "problem" you're experiencing resonance at a particular rpm or is it the drone (background noise at highway speeds)?

#24 ·
eudaman said:
i think defining the word "drone" is critical in this discussion. can you hear the MDS go in and out with zoomers? yes you can. can you hear it with magnaflows? yes you can. is the definition of what you hear a "drone" sound? id say in both it is more of a "blubber" sound. personally, its not that annoying to me with either system. more imprtant to me is the sound at WOT and when accelerating, and the sound when just grannying about town. since having a free flowing catback system in my c, there is no way i could go back to stock...sounds and looks way to good this way, whatever system you choose :)
Drone is not MDS SOUND, I think what he's describing is a buzzing cabin noise or most commonly called "Dreded Drone"... What bothers some may not bother me or you. I know what bothers me and it's almost like nails on a chalk board the way it effects your inner ear. It drives you crazy...

#25 ·
sundown said:
The sound is great at start-up and quiets nicely at idle. As I ride down the main street at about 30-35 mph the sound is a bit aggravating, but then when I give it some boot it REALLY sounds nice again... for a few seconds... then its back to the droning. I havent driven the system the over 500+ miles mark yet so I am hoping it is a bit quieter after that point.

It seems most agitating when cruising at speeds around40-ish... that the tones just have a bit too much resonance... When Im on the h-way (doing about 60 or so) that nice 'tone' switches to an annoying 'noise'; forcing me to occassionally ease off on the right foot in order to regain some cabin serenity...

NOTE: I didnt take it on the trip last week as I didnt want to deal with the issue; but I did have some 'sound deadener' added under my trunk liner and seems to have helped, but not much.

Any ideas...???
You might want to try Zoomers tips ...some Flow Master guys have used them and have reported no drone like they had without them. I don't know if they will work with what you have as far as fitting your application but if you have photos of your exhaust, post them of the rear section and I'll be able to tell you if they'll fit or not.

#26 ·
Nav Voice

The nav voice volume can be adjusted by the sterio volume control, while the nav voice is speking simply adjust the levels. you can also adjust the U-connect (if applicable) in the same manner
sundown said:
Just though you'd like to know...

But this system looks great (those quad tips really set it off)!!! The 'issue' is the droning resonance... Ive noticed it rather more on the couple of short highway spins. Im taking it on a 4-hour ride next week and kinda dreading the drone!! Any suggestions for sound deadning/proofing or suppression?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer...

Sundown
Fort Worth, Texas

2005 300 Signature Series
Midnight Blue Pearl
two-tone interior
Magnaflow quad-tip exhaust
Eibach Pro lowered
SS everywhere
tail flip
22s

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.