Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - my name is Ron and I am new to this forum and I wanted to share with you a modification that I made to my Midnight Blue 300C yesterday. I removed the rear mufflers/resonators and added 4" stainless tips. It gives the car a slightly more agressive sound and the 4" tips, in my opinion, look better than the stock 3" tips. The removal of the mufflers should also have a slight impact on the car's performance. Not performance related, but I also removed the hard rubber console lid cover and had it recovered in black leather to match the rest of the console. It looks great and really dresses up the interior of the car. Ron

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here are the photos you requested. It is getting kind of dark here in Dallas, so they are not the greatest but I think you can get an idea how the changes look. Ron

·
Registered
34 Posts
Do you have any resonance in the cockpit at highway speeds?
How much did the leather and new exhaust cost you?
They both look terrific!

·
Registered
149 Posts
When you say slightly more aggressive sound, IYO, is it worth it? Would you do it again? How does it sound when the MDS kicks in?
Thanks
Steve

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Steve, I would definitely do it again. I did not make it permanent until after I was sure I liked the sound. I initially intended to remove the rear mufflers and replace them with polished stainless Magnaflows, but when my muffler guy installed them temporarily just to test the sound, it really didn't modify the sound much. He then suggested that I run it with the rear mufflers removed altogether. The sound was great, so we decided just to add the additional pipe and the tips I had previously selected. As I indicated in my initial post, the sound is only moderately more aggresive than the stock sound and really only significantly noticeable during hard acceleration. Ron

·
Registered
149 Posts
attydude said:
Steve, I would definitely do it again. I did not make it permanent until after I was sure I liked the sound. I initially intended to remove the rear mufflers and replace them with polished stainless Magnaflows, but when my muffler guy installed them temporarily just to test the sound, it really didn't modify the sound much. He then suggested that I run it with the rear mufflers removed altogether. The sound was great, so we decided just to add the additional pipe and the tips I had previously selected. As I indicated in my initial post, the sound is only moderately more aggresive than the stock sound and really only significantly noticeable during hard acceleration. Ron
Cool :cool: I might have this done this weekend then. Although, I want a little more tone at idle though and mild low rpm acceleration, and just taking the resonators off doesn't sound like it will do it. Hmmmmm, what to do...

·
Registered
208 Posts
Ron, your car looks great!
I apologize but I had my center console covered as well :eek: I was considering it when I first got my 300c because I take my dog all over with me. I have some seat covers (cheap ones from autozone) but my center console has been getting scratched up a little and its been bugging the crap out of me. It only cost $25 and Ill post pics tomorrow. Not trying to hijack your thread, but look at him, wouldnt you take him everywhere?!?

·
Registered
4,564 Posts
The only reason I buy 4 door cars is to haul our dog around, an 85 pound black lab! She has to go everywhere with me and my wife (no kids except for the hound). Half the time she stands on the center console and stairs out the front window. I havn't received my 300c yet, but I told my wife this morning about Steve's' modification to the console and how I was going to do the same. Where did you get the console job done?

·
Registered
254 Posts
attydude said:
Hi - my name is Ron and I am new to this forum and I wanted to share with you a modification that I made to my Midnight Blue 300C yesterday. I removed the rear mufflers/resonators and added 4" stainless tips. It gives the car a slightly more agressive sound and the 4" tips, in my opinion, look better than the stock 3" tips. The removal of the mufflers should also have a slight impact on the car's performance. Not performance related, but I also removed the hard rubber console lid cover and had it recovered in black leather to match the rest of the console. It looks great and really dresses up the interior of the car. Ron
Hey Ron,

What upholstery shop did you use to recover your console lid in Dallas???

Also, How long did it take?

I live in Dallas as well, and I would like to get mine done...

Thanks,
Ron

·
Registered
563 Posts
I'd like to see pics of the dash and a shot under the back of the car to show the tips and muffler removal. Please post those if you can.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Fast4Door - the person that did the console for me is Gary Gray at Absolute Auto. His number is 972-680-8108 and he is at 13595 Floyd Circle, Suite 100 in Dallas. I took the lid to him and he had it back the same day.

BrilliantBlackHemi - I am not certain I understood your requests. I didn't photograph the car as the mufflers and tips were removed. However, the third of the three photos I posted earlier showed what the car looks like now with the rear mufflers removed. With respect to the dash photo, I can post a photo of how the console looks from the back seat incorporating part of the dash if that is what you are looking for.

On another matter, my grill is supposed to be in today, so hopefully I will get that installed shortly. In that regard I have a question: they want $100 to install the grill. Have any of you installed a replacement grill on your car and if so, do you think it is worth it to pay somebody $100 to do the work? To be honest with you I am primarily concerned with the potential harm (scratches) that the installer may do to the car, more than I am the $100. If anyone has any thoughts on the difficulty factor on the removal of the old grill and installation of the new grill, I would appreciate your thoughts. Thanks, Ron

·
Premium Member
1,269 Posts
The facia has to come off to do it right, it is a couple hour job if you take your time. My grill will be in to day as well... Texas Auto Tops?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Aspendog, I went to pick up my grill today and decided to let them install it. Have you looked at instructions, too involved for me. They assured me they could install it without damaging the car. We will see. Please let me know what you think after looking at instructions. Thanks, Ron

·
Registered
254 Posts
attydude said:
Aspendog, I went to pick up my grill today and decided to let them install it. Have you looked at instructions, too involved for me. They assured me they could install it without damaging the car. We will see. Please let me know what you think after looking at instructions. Thanks, Ron
I installed my new grill tonight. It took about 2 hours. Getting the bottom screws out is a bitch if you do it by yourself. I did manage to get it out without drilling into the stock grill. I couldn't get the original chrysler emblem off the factory grill though. I cracked it in the process. Not too sure if we are going to be able to go back to the stock grill since you have to drill out the factory mounting holes to 3/8 inch. Either way it's in the car, and looks great!

I just need to go order another chrysler emblem tomorrow.
Here's a pic, sorry for the quality I took it with my phone.

·
Premium Member
1,269 Posts
Fast4Door said:
I installed my new grill tonight. It took about 2 hours. Getting the bottom screws out is a bitch if you do it by yourself. I did manage to get it out without drilling into the stock grill. I couldn't get the original chrysler emblem off the factory grill though. I cracked it in the process. Not too sure if we are going to be able to go back to the stock grill since you have to drill out the factory mounting holes to 3/8 inch. Either way it's in the car, and looks great!
I just need to go order another chrysler emblem tomorrow.
Here's a pic, sorry for the quality I took it with my phone.
I installed mine tuesday. I took off the facia and had direct access to all screws. I did not have to drill any of the OEM mounting positions, just three holes at the bottom for the pins to mount (they should have just made the grill mount on the stock positions IMO) BTW cracked my emblem too. I got one off ebay for $9.50. In the meantime I painted the massed up one black (see pic)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,269 Posts
attydude said:
Tell them that they should remove the facia to do a proper job. It was not a big deal 1-2 hours. The bitch part was getting the "clips" off the splach guards (the can be removed easily by pushing the pin in but to get them back on you have to push the pin back from the back)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts