Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the MDS system on the HEMI V8, what will an exhaust system sound like? I read the road/track edition of the 300C and it said how tough it was to develop an exhaust system for the engine becuase it switches from 8 cylinders to 4. Do you think a regular bolt on muffler will sound good or will a special tuned muffler have to be purchased to get a consistant sound. What i imagine is a deep truck exhaust when u floor it, and a ricer note when cruising on the freeway, im probably wrong though.... I hope.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised if their actually is a difference in road noise when using an aftermarket muffler on the 300C. However, I would definitely go with a high quality exhaust system rather than a bolt on muffler (especially with a car as nice as this). Something tells me it wouldn't sound quite as bad as a honda when in 4cyl mode, but you can't be sure until you hear it in person.

I just found this which provides sound clips for exhaust systems on Chryslers. You can hear what the Dodge Ram w/ a 5.7L HEMI sounds like. I assume it would sound similar. NOTE: The link for the for the Flowtech Terminator under the Dodge 5.7 V8 HEMI headline comes up with an audio clip for the 5.9L V8. I don't think it is applicable.

·
Registered
84 Posts
clowncarni said:
With the MDS system on the HEMI V8, what will an exhaust system sound like? I read the road/track edition of the 300C and it said how tough it was to develop an exhaust system for the engine becuase it switches from 8 cylinders to 4. Do you think a regular bolt on muffler will sound good or will a special tuned muffler have to be purchased to get a consistant sound. What i imagine is a deep truck exhaust when u floor it, and a ricer note when cruising on the freeway, im probably wrong though.... I hope.
I'm sure that I will all depend on the quality of the muffler you choose. Make no mistake about it there will be a variation in sounds depending if the Hemi is in WOT or running on the V4 configuration.

Case in point, we have a Miata and we swapped the stock muffler out for dynamax mini turbo. That muffler typically goes on a V8, and IMO it sounds great on the Miata. Not too loud and not ricey by any means.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Because it is literally a V4 with the MDS activated, and not an inline, a "louder" exhaust would sound awful...kind of like the original Viper. The system would need a tuned X shaped crossover pipe to mix the sounds of the two banks of cylinders to make the exhaust sound smooth. Otherwise it will sound like you put the wrong wires on the wrong spark plugs.

·
Registered
6 Posts
LWOOD said:
Because it is literally a V4 with the MDS activated, and not an inline, a "louder" exhaust would sound awful...kind of like the original Viper. The system would need a tuned X shaped crossover pipe to mix the sounds of the two banks of cylinders to make the exhaust sound smooth. Otherwise it will sound like you put the wrong wires on the wrong spark plugs.
The 300C comes with a tuned X pipe, it is between the cat and the muffler/resonator.

·
Premium Member
2,648 Posts
LWOOD said:
Because it is literally a V4 with the MDS activated, and not an inline,
A V4? Are you sure it is not running on an inline 4? I thought the MDS shuts down a complete side rather than 2 cylinders on the left and 2 on the right.

·
Premium Member
2,648 Posts
clowncarni said:
I read the road/track edition of the 300C and it said how tough it was to develop an exhaust system for the engine becuase it switches from 8 cylinders to 4.
I also read the R&T special edition information about the exhaust. I don't know if they made an error but they wrote that the car had one center 'muffler' (after the cats) that went into two rear 'resonator's.

·
Registered
81 Posts
MagnumRT said:
The 300C comes with a tuned X pipe, it is between the cat and the muffler/resonator.
After inspecting it myself a few weeks ago at a local dealership, I was unable to see any X plumbing under the "C" (before or after anything in site). I just saw the big dual-in/dual-out muffler under the rear seating, that lead to one resonator per bank before spilling into those clean chrome tips (as E55 KEV discribed from his R&T special addition reading).

Since I could not see anything in front of the firewall, the cats and monifolds were obviously out of my sight... Could the "X" have been THAT far up?

Or, was the X balancer pipe inside the big muffler housing (I could see that method saving on pipe cost for DC)?

·
Registered
629 Posts
You know, since I wrote that, I have been looking to find out if there is a tuned crossover ("X") pipe. MagnumRT says there is, and I guess there has to be, or even with the stock exhaust it may sound terrible. I would love to find out if aftermarket mufflers would work in all modes, as my biggest complaint about the car is it's lack of RUMBLE. My 79 'Vette is slow in comparison, but sound wise it whips my C. Thanks for the Vid E55. It is great to have all these people checkin out the same things!

·
Registered
4 Posts
E55 KEV said:
A V4? Are you sure it is not running on an inline 4? I thought the MDS shuts down a complete side rather than 2 cylinders on the left and 2 on the right.
Cylinders 1,4,6,7, so two on each bank. They're every other in the v8 firing order for smooth power application and vibration in 4 cylinder mode.

HTH

·
Registered
81 Posts
Just returned from the dealership... Checked out a LOADED cool white C ($38K+ on the sticker; smoking and cold weather package too!)...

Anyway, I crawled under that bad-boy and found no such x-pipe... Weird, huh? I checked from the exhaust manifolds to rear muffs (resonators?) this time. I know I've read about it somewhere other than here, on LWOOD's thread...

Well, maybe it IS inside that milk truck sized, midriff muffler!

·
Premium Member
2,648 Posts
This is what was published in the Road & Track Special Series Guide:

“Downstream of the engine is a true dual exhaust with closely coupled catalyst that light off quicker in order to reduce cold start emissions. Each bank empties into a 2.5-in. exhaust pipe and both converge in a center X-pipe that allows communication between the two banks of cylinders. This not only helps with scavenging exhaust gases, but also makes tuning of the exhaust note easier – no small feat in an engine that operates in both 4- and 8- cylinder modes. The exhaust pipes travel through a large muffler that has 2.25-in. paths, and then exit into two resonators and 3.0-in. chrome exhaust tips.

“One of the significant challenges with MDS was to give the car a throaty exhaust note that is sustained through the transition to 4-cylinder mode, “ … “We did a lot of development with the exhaust system to come up with a sound we liked.” “

·
Registered
6 Posts
Guys, TRUST ME there IS an X pipe there. The exhaust comes off the secondary cats down along the transmission, and comes right next to each othere behind the tranny. The "X" pipe is basicaly the pipes making a quick jot next to one another and back out. Because whenever you have 2 gasses passing by one another from 2 distinct systems, you have a lot of heat, this "X" is covered by a heat shield as well. Trust me, the X is there, and it is in addition to the big honkin dual inlet/outlet muffler thing before the 2 single in/out resonators connected to the tailpipes.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts