Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here the mods I am considering (Finally!!)

PPP Stage II Heads
PPP CAM (Looking for recommendations here)
PPP Ported Intake
Kooks Headers with Cats

(Currently I have the Air Hammer CAI, 180 Thermostat, Magnaflow Cats, Magnaflow Cat back, and the Diablo)

I plan to actually sell the Magnaflow catback with the cats and have the kooks going to the stock catback for a more stealth sound :)

Any ideas on RWHP and more projected importantly ETs?

·
Registered
62 Posts
My guess is
+40 HP for the ported heads,
+20 HP for the ported intake,
+30 HP to +40 HP depending on the cam,
and +30 HP for a complete exhaust. (headers, midpipes and catback.)
+ or - 120 HP gain.
Radshop

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hpe you are close to correct. I am hoping for about 450 to 475 rwhp. I have to make a final decision and live with it soon.

·
Registered
903 Posts
There was a dyno results by ppp either here or on lxforums. They had 3 different motors, 2 426 strokers with heads cams and so on and the third was a 392. The 426 was right about 500 rwhp, the other 426 was around 475 (don't quote me) and I believe the 392 was around 450.

I personally saw a bone stock SRT8 charger (no CAI, no exhaust) with just ported and polished heads and the diablo make 415 rwhp.

My point is don't expect a certain number. Every dyno is different. It seems like PPPs dyno is more conservative. I would guess the SRT8 that made 415 probably wouldn't make 415 on PPPs judging that a 392 only made 450. If you baseline it on the same dyno and can duplicate the same weather, humidity and all those factors you can attempt to have an accurate scale of increase. Just do those mods and know you'll be A LOT faster.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good point Topfuel67

·
Registered
290 Posts
Here the mods I am considering (Finally!!)

PPP Stage II Heads
PPP CAM (Looking for recommendations here)
PPP Ported Intake
Kooks Headers with Cats

(Currently I have the Air Hammer CAI, 180 Thermostat, Magnaflow Cats, Magnaflow Cat back, and the Diablo)

I plan to actually sell the Magnaflow catback with the cats and have the kooks going to the stock catback for a more stealth sound :)

Any ideas on RWHP and more projected importantly ETs?
Everybody's different, but why would you spend all that money for 50 maybe 60 HP on a good day. From all the track times I have seen it seems like those mods will net you ~0.2-0.3 and ~2 mph. I'm sure some will disagree but that is what I've seen.

The fastest SRT8 with those mods runs 11.9. Where some SRT8s with the mods you currently have and maybe sticker tires have run 12.1 both in ~the same D.A.

If you had a 5.7 now thats a different store, those cars gain alot from head/cams/intake.

If it was me I would spend the same amount of money of a supercharger or a grand or two more on a turbo instead of those mods.

FI will easily double the hp of any heads/cam/intake kits out there.

You will get much more respect on the track and/or the street with FI. Not to mention a heck of alot faster than just heads/cam/intake will give you.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Nevertofast- I have been comtemplating that route too.

I am extremely torn. The 4100+ car needs a lot of power to be as fast as I like it to be for sure.

·
Premium Member
4,395 Posts
Everybody's different, but why would you spend all that money for 50 maybe 60 HP on a good day. From all the track times I have seen it seems like those mods will net you ~0.2-0.3 and ~2 mph. I'm sure some will disagree but that is what I've seen.
You are going to net more than 50-60 hp with the set up he listed.

The fastest SRT8 with those mods runs 11.9. Where some SRT8s with the mods you currently have and maybe sticker tires have run 12.1 both in ~the same D.A.
BS! There is a huge difference. Are you saying that an SRT with a CAI and a tune is going to run almost the same as an SRT with PPP heads, cam etc.? or as you say in your post .2 .3 and 2MPH difference? If you are, you are going by different tracks at different DA's...or something. There is a huge difference and the one with the head cam mods will smoke the other car by almost a half second. And a half second is an eternity at the track. It's night and day. If you say it's at the same track with same DA I'd sure like to see that proof.

If it was me I would spend the same amount of money of a supercharger or a grand or two more on a turbo instead of those mods.
I'm all about forced induction, but it really comes down to what this owner likes. A lot of people like N/A. And there are a lot more inherent problems with turbos and superchargers than natural aspiration. Not to mention there a lot less motors blown by just upgrading the heads and cam. That needs to be taken in to consideration.

FI will easily double the hp of any heads/cam/intake kits out there.
To install a "full time" forced induction system you really need to re-tool the motor and forge it to run the big time boost.

You will get much more respect on the track and/or the street with FI. Not to mention a heck of alot faster than just heads/cam/intake will give you.
Forced induction is nice, but it's not the end all be all and does not claim more respect by people that know real HP.

I'm not putting down forced induction at all, but I think you need to give more credit to the N/A packages.

I believe the fastest LX right now is all natrual;)

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
All valid points Moose. The strange thing with our cars is there is a huge difference between similar cars with similar setups. I know you have to factor the DA but some cars go 12.4s or 12.2s just about stock and others go 12.9s or 13.0s. I know you have to allow for driver error but with an automatic car i have never seen such differences. What I want to shoot for is 11.7 to 11.9s with the stock bottom end. No juice, no power adders. I wonder if there's a silver bullet that would make that happen...

I know with proper tuning and FI it would happen and with juice for sure. But I want to do it with heads, cam, converter....

I guess I need to see what it runs now first huh :)

·
Premium Member
4,395 Posts
All valid points Moose. The strange thing with our cars is there is a huge difference between similar cars with similar setups. I know you have to factor the DA but some cars go 12.4s or 12.2s just about stock and others go 12.9s or 13.0s. I know you have to allow for driver error but with an automatic car i have never seen such differences. What I want to shoot for is 11.7 to 11.9s with the stock bottom end. No juice, no power adders. I wonder if there's a silver bullet that would make that happen...

I know with proper tuning and FI it would happen and with juice for sure. But I want to do it with heads, cam, converter....

I guess I need to see what it runs now first huh :)
Where are you located?

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
NJ Toms River. I would go to ATCO or Englishtown like I always have to race. I wish I had some LX experts local like the PPP guys.

·
Registered
144 Posts
My 5.7 300C with the bolt on turbo system put down 411 RWHP and 500 RWTQ on PPP's dyno. :scared:

There is still some left on the table, but the curves follow very closely the stock dyno curves so there is something in the PCM programming or flow through the engine on the top end. I hope to pop on a set of JBA shorties in the near future to check my theory. The engine is an all stock internals motor with 29,000 miles on it with the turbo.

Mr MoPar

·
Premium Member
4,395 Posts
NJ Toms River. I would go to ATCO or Englishtown like I always have to race. I wish I had some LX experts local like the PPP guys.
Those are the best timed tracks that I know of. So just about any set up is going to do you justice. I forgot about the PPP turbo. That's is one sweet set up.

·
Registered
290 Posts
BS! There is a huge difference. Are you saying that an SRT with a CAI and a tune is going to run almost the same as an SRT with PPP heads, cam etc.? or as you say in your post .2 .3 and 2MPH difference? If you are, you are going by different tracks at different DA's...or something. There is a huge difference and the one with the head cam mods will smoke the other car by almost a half second. And a half second is an eternity at the track. It's night and day. If you say it's at the same track with same DA I'd sure like to see that proof.

Forced induction is nice, but it's not the end all be all and does not claim more respect by people that know real HP.

I'm not putting down forced induction at all, but I think you need to give more credit to the N/A packages.

I believe the fastest LX right now is all natrual;)

WOW I cant believe you of all people would call BS. I don't post things unless I can prove them. I guess you do.

The 2 fastest times for stock block N/A SRT8 are as follows:

Mike Comp T/A #57 [email protected] - LX Forums Modern Mopar Muscle
he ran a [email protected] with just a tune, t-stat and DRs

Then theres the fastest 6.1 N/A I have EVER seen, philly john who ran a 11.98 @ 116 11.98 @ 116.92 - LX Forums Modern Mopar Muscle
Who has heads/cam/TC/long tubes and more.

philly johns time was at ATCO which is said to be one of the fastest track in the US.

If my math is right thats a 2.1 tenths difference and a 2 mph difference, for about $6,000 more mods.

ARE YOU STILL CALLING BS.

·
Registered
290 Posts
BTW about your HP remark Moose, I can easily find at least 5 post of people that have dyno more than 410 whp with a custom tune, CAI, high flow cats, catback, t-stat or less and nothing more.

Can you supply 5 post of people that has dyno more than 470 whp with a 6.1L with heads/cam? 410+60

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am dying to see FI numbers on these cars at the tracks. My gut tells me they have to be mid to high 11 second rides with 6 to 8 lbs of the boost of your choice. Procharger and that new RDP system are looking nice on the supercharger side and PPP/CIS turbo system looks great on that side...

·
Premium Member
4,395 Posts
WOW I cant believe you of all people would call BS. I don't post things unless I can prove them. I guess you do.

The 2 fastest times for stock block N/A SRT8 are as follows:

Mike Comp T/A #57 [email protected] - LX Forums Modern Mopar Muscle
he ran a [email protected] with just a tune, t-stat and DRs

Then theres the fastest 6.1 N/A I have EVER seen, philly john who ran a 11.98 @ 116 11.98 @ 116.92 - LX Forums Modern Mopar Muscle
Who has heads/cam/TC/long tubes and more.

philly johns time was at ATCO which is said to be one of the fastest track in the US.

If my math is right thats a 2.1 tenths difference and a 2 mph difference, for about $6,000 more mods.

ARE YOU STILL CALLING BS.
Yes, I am calling BS and here is why. You failed to take two cars at the same track at the same time with different set ups and run them. Do that and get back to me. The outcome will be a half second difference. That's apples to apples. Another thing is freak's. You are taking a freak example of the best run ever in a stock time. I'm talking about an average, but again, same place with different set ups = aples to aples...not freaks to forum jibber.

·
Premium Member
4,395 Posts
BTW about your HP remark Moose, I can easily find at least 5 post of people that have dyno more than 410 whp with a custom tune, CAI, high flow cats, catback, t-stat or less and nothing more.

Can you supply 5 post of people that has dyno more than 470 whp with a 6.1L with heads/cam? 410+60

Dyno's are for tuning. Not for forum jibber. They are all different and do not represent an equal basis on what each car can do when they are on different days and different dynos.

I believe there is a dyo sheet from PPP that shows a stock SRT8 vs. a head, cam, headers, tune set up on the same vehicle on the same dyno. I'll try to look it up when I get some spare time.

And on the inherent problems with FI system on these stock motors, I noticed you didn't touch that one...albeit they are getting bette with the tuning available.

I did think of one more example of the advantages of N/A...that would be daily driving and road course racing.

No matter what you pick you will get more power out of the garage with FI. No doubt, I'm just arguing the case for N/A and it's advantages.

Moose.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
All good points Moose. I still have a couple of things I need to see. I personally have run cars with blowers on stock bottom ends with close to 10 to 1 compression with no issues as long as the tune is good. Waiting on Procharger as I have faith in their setups. If I go NA it will be PPP almost without a doubt. Not yet a huge fan of the rear mount turbo system. Just a personal preference.

Love the concept of the positive displacement blower on our cars. Need more tuning info though and some help understanding those video dyno pulls that look very strange... :)

·
Registered
290 Posts
Yes, I am calling BS and here is why. You failed to take two cars at the same track at the same time with different set ups and run them. Do that and get back to me. The outcome will be a half second difference. That's apples to apples. Another thing is freak's. You are taking a freak example of the best run ever in a stock time. I'm talking about an average, but again, same place with different set ups = aples to aples...not freaks to forum jibber.
Sorry you feel that way. I showed real #'s, the fastest SRT8s in both areas, very similar DA -675 for Mike and -1000 for philly. You showed you can talk.

Yes there are at different tracks, but I figured comparing the fastest recorded time for SRT8s with similar mods is fair.

But you if want to spend all that money to trap 3 mph more tops, go for it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts