Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I purchased my 300C in early January this year, I had around 20,000 miles or 2 years left on the 3/36 warranty. The dealer gave me an open option to purchase the full 7/70,000 maximum care warranty for around $1,500. I am seriously considering it. Extended plans have saved me $ in the past.

Do you believe in extended warranties?

·
Administrator
23,437 Posts
If you're planning on keeping your car for that long I would most certainly get it. The computers and electronics alone in these cars are pretty damned expensive.

One other thing is I would ONLY get a Chrysler warranty. I would never consider a 3rd party one regardless if they're cheaper.

Bernie

·
Registered
4,564 Posts
If the $1500 is currently affordable, then I would get an extended warranty.
As Rambit said, defiantly make sure you are getting a Chrysler extended warranty. The Maximum Care plan has the best coverage.

Here are two websites that sell Chrysler extended warranties at very good prices. You can compare the online quotes to the quote from your dealer. From my experience with my local dealers, they all charge way too much for extended warranties and it is better to shop around.

eServiceContracts Free Online Quote, Warranty Selection  Chrysler, Jeep, Dodge Service Contracts
Chrysler extended warranty, Factory backed extended warranties for Dodge, Jeep and Chrysler vehicles

·
Premium Member
10,769 Posts
You can also send a PM to DWINWARD and ask what he might be able to do for you. Either way you want to make the purchase BEFORE you reach the 1 yr and/or 12k mileage mark... the prices take a jump up if you cross the in-service anniversary or 12k.

·
Registered
113 Posts
My dealer quoted me for a 5/100,000 miles $1800. I think its worth it, not to bag on these cars but they are american cars...:sour:

·
Registered
88 Posts
I say go for it. I purchased a 75K mile warranty for around 1500 as well. Just think, how much is peace of mind worth to you?

To support my point further, i once had an extended warranty on 2000 3.8 Camaro. And at about 60,000 miles, the transmission went and the catalytic converter went bad. So i was looking at well over 1500 bucks out of pocket had I not bought it.

Remember, most dealers will finance the 1500 in your car payment. So its like an additional 25 dollars a month for a guarantee that the car will last to 75K.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I vote for a more flexible & reputable aftermarket warranty

I purchased my maximum care extended warranty mainly because I bought my 300 used. It's been great for me up to this point.

The only thing I would say is that you might want to consider a reputable 3rd party warranty. Here's why: with a Chrysler warrranty, only Chrsyler can work on your vehicle. Going to a dealership for your service means waiting a lot longer to get your car back, and the warranty only covers 5 days of a rental, the rest you pay out of pocket. If you don't like the service at the Chrysler dealership in your area then you're forced to find another dealership and hope you like them better. Basically if there's only a couple of dealerships in your area then you're screwed if they tell you something you don't want to hear. Ex: "Your transmission went out because you have aftermarket 22"s on your car" or "your burned out your engine because you didn't get your vehicle serviced at 30k miles."

"But I DID get my vehicle serviced at 30k miles!"

"But you didn't get it done at Chrysler."

These of course are nightmare scenarios, but I've heard of them happening.

Like I said, I've been 100% satisfied up to this point with the Chrysler warranty I have. But if I could go back and get an aftermarket warranty then I would because that way ANYONE could work on my car.

My brother is the manager of a mechanic shop. If something were to happen to my car or a friends car that happened to NOT be covered by warranty, he could always say that it's something that IS covered, and just fix the real problem. I know this sounds shady but the auto service industry is ALL shady. Lots of people do this and I think eventually there will be tighter regulations in that market...but there's not now.

·
Administrator
23,437 Posts
I guess the argument to your argument Jason would be, who would want to get their car serviced anywhere BUT at a Chrysler dealer? My guess is not many.

On a side note, have you considered changing your user name to something shorter? The reason I ask is because the length of it is causing your posts to be shifted a great deal to the right. I fnd it distracting to be honest. It's also causing the "Last Post" column to be unnecessarily widened on the Active Topics page.

Bernie

·
Registered
63 Posts
Just bought a 2007 loaded 300C last week. The dealer offered me a lifetime warranty for $1300 that mirrored the Basic Chrysler 3Yr/36000 mile warranty. I did not get it at the time because I wanted to research the company because it was not a Chrysler warranty. I traded in my other 2005 300C for this one and had the Chrysler Max Care extended warranty. Glad I got it. I lost the name of the company offering this warranty but sent an email to get the name. Will let everyone know the name when I get it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
The dealers make money on warranties which means that the odds are you would be better off not to buy one.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I purchased my 2007 300c a week ago and added a lifetime warrant-----74 years or 999,999 miles---which ever comes first. I call it my forever car!!!
I will keep it around for quite awhile because "I LOVE IT!!!!!!!! It has a $100 deductible and covers everything except the shell!!! :lmao:

·
Registered
4,564 Posts
I have been contemplating buying an extended warranty. My question is this. Does the extended warranty kick in when the factory warranty expires?
Yes, at 36k or 3 years, which ever comes first. The powertrain, and I think emissions, has a longer warranty period. So the extended warranty won't cover these areas until they expire.

·
Registered
859 Posts
I have been contemplating buying an extended warranty. My question is this. Does the extended warranty kick in when the factory warranty expires?
Yes, at 36k or 3 years, which ever comes first. The powertrain, and I think emissions, has a longer warranty period. So the extended warranty won't cover these areas until they expire.
You also have to remember that any extended warranty you buy for your
car will have the same start date as when the car was first put into service.

If you buy a 2006 car for example, that was first put into service say in
January 2006, and you buy a 7 yr/70,000 mile warranty, then that extended
warranty will run out in January of 2013.

An extended warranty does NOT get added on at the end of the regular
3yr/36,000 mile warranty. It starts at the same time as the regular warranty.

So, basically, in the above example, you are actually getting 4 extra years
of coverage past the expiration date of the original warranty.

Make sure you read the warranty info very carefully. It explains this in
detail.

Even if you buy a used car, and you get a factory extended warranty, it
will have a start date of whenever the car was first put into service, and it
it is NOT added on to the end.

For another example, if you buy a used 2005 Model 300C, that was first put into
service in August of 2004, and you buy yourself a 7yr/70,000 mile warranty, then
you are covered until August 2011. Since it is now 2008, you have
bought yourself coverage for just another 3 and a half years, not 7 more
years.

The 2005 model year cars are the only ones that have the 7yr/70,000 mile
powertrain warranty as standard. All the rest have only 3yr/36,000 mile
powertrain warranties standard.

Jim

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
well i can say that iam very happy i bought 5/100k plan...my whole dash cluster went bad at 53k 1,500 to fix it...so it paid for it self...i say buy it!!

·
Registered
311 Posts
The 2008 Consumer Reports Annual Auto issue has a great article on extended warranties. I suggest you check it at your local library rather than for me to quote extensively from it. They are generally against them but they address key points about where to buy them and when if you decide to get one.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I guess the argument to your argument Jason would be, who would want to get their car serviced anywhere BUT at a Chrysler dealer? My guess is not many.

Bernie
Well the thing is, dealerships usually take longer than most shops to complete their work. And like I mentioned, if Chrysler determines that something isn't covered under your warranty, then that's it...you're screwed and have to pay out of pocket. Other shops often try harder to find a way to get extended warranty to cover repair(s). You probably have sharp techs at your Chrysler dealership, but trust me at the one here in SW houston I've encountered a couple of goofballs that I do NOT want messing with my vehicle. The senior tech is a knowledgable guy, but very busy. At my brother's shop, all of the mechanics came from the dealerships; and they're pretty wise guys (most of them).

And plus...with a Chrysler extended warranty, only Chrysler can work on your vehicle. With an aftermarket warranty, ANYONE that's ASE certified can, including Chrysler. IMHO, I wish I'd gone with the aftermarket; but so far so good with the Chrysler one I have.

Just sent message to powers that be to shorten my name. It's been buggin me too but I didn't know how to edit it. :pat:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts