Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone experienced this? when i turn the wheel all the way to the left as far as it'll go when backing up my car will shut off and i have to start it again....i dont kno if its a sensor doing it or its a problem....i can feel when its about to do it and i can move the wheel about a centimeter to the right and it wont stall but if i hold it there...it shuts off....pls give me some replys on if youve heard of this

PS- this happened b4 i got my rims as well so its not the rims

·
BLOODY ADMENSTRUATOR
7,554 Posts
ridinclean said:
has anyone experienced this? when i turn the wheel all the way to the left as far as it'll go when backing up my car will shut off and i have to start it again....i dont kno if its a sensor doing it or its a problem....i can feel when its about to do it and i can move the wheel about a centimeter to the right and it wont stall but if i hold it there...it shuts off....pls give me some replys on if youve heard of this

Never crank the steering all the way - it puts a severe strain on the rack and pinion and on the power steering pump.

Your car is saying "ouch" and turning itself off.

·
Registered
209 Posts
NRider hit the nail on the head. The amount of hydrolic pressure the power steering pump generates when it tries to push against the solid steel of the "stops" of the steering system increases the load the pump puts on the engine severely. You can turn to the stops - but then back off a bit. You can tell by the sound of the pump when you've gone too far.

Not only does this strain the power steering pump and put strain on the steering mechanics - it also generates tremendous heat on the hydrolic system.

So while it *IS* possible there could be some malfunction with your car, it seems most likely that the strain of the power steering pump pushing against the solid steel stops is driving the engine idle down to the point where the engine dies. I say it's possible there's something wrong, because in theory, the computer should sense that the idle RPM is dropping and compensate. However, given the sophistication of these systems in current generation cars, it would not surprise me one bit at all that the engine is DESIGNED to die when you put an undue strain on the power steering system, thereby protecting the power steering pump from overheating and damage.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
I would have it checked out by the dealer. I can't imagine Chrysler would design-in an automatic shut-down because you have the wheel fully cranked to left/right. Something has to be wrong with the car.

·
Registered
209 Posts
joey said:
I can't imagine Chrysler would design-in an automatic shut-down because you have the wheel fully cranked to left/right.
Joey, you REALLY need to try to be more imaginative then! :D

It certainly is worth finding out, but I'm not sure it's any big deal. Afterall, if it only happens when the wheel is cranked to the stops, it certainly isn't going to represent any kind of a hazard, since speeds have to be in the low single digits!

It'd be interesting to see if EVERYONE'S car behaves this way. If the system is set up that way be design, then all of our cars should do it...

·
Registered
436 Posts
Why don't they change that in cars? Sometimes I turn the wheel as hard and as far as it goes to make a U-Turn. I get nervous about the other cars comming, so I punish the car for it by turning the wheel really hard, but I didn't know it was that bad.

Why don't car manufacturers improve that flaw in cars, so the car doesn't go through hell?? :confused:

·
Registered
209 Posts
Uh, it's the nature of the beast! The wheels have to have stops, and the power steering pump has to use hydrolic pressure to move the steering mechanism. And when the two come together, well, you know the rest! I'm not really sure what could possibly be done to prevent it...

It's not like it's the end of the world if you've been doing this. Just be aware now, and break the habit. (It's a bad habit to get into!) The steering pump WILL tell you when it's straining... Once you pay attention to it, you just can't miss the sound and feel in the steering wheel of the power steering pump complaining.

·
Registered
549 Posts
The same thing happen to me once. I havent even come close to it since. After hearing the sound my car made, I dont want her stressing like that again.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I totally agree with all postings that the extreme poisiton is to be avoided; but, this is the first I've heard of a car's engine stalling due to this....I just don't know.... :confused:

CottyGee said:
The steering pump WILL tell you when it's straining... Once you pay attention to it, you just can't miss the sound and feel in the steering wheel of the power steering pump complaining.
This reminds me of the many times I said "Can't you hear it?" when I was teaching my kids to drive.

·
Registered
209 Posts
frank29 said:
this is the first I've heard of a car's engine stalling due to this....I just don't know.... :confused:
Try this: Turn the wheel to the stops, then back off, and note the engine RPM. While watching the tach, go to the stops again, letting the pump strain.

·
BLOODY ADMENSTRUATOR
7,554 Posts
People blow out their power steering on all makes of cars, all the time by holding the steering wheel against the stops.

The 300 is smart enough to prevent you from doing this.

·
Registered
448 Posts
CottyGee said:
Try this: Turn the wheel to the stops, then back off, and note the engine RPM. While watching the tach, go to the stops again, letting the pump strain.
I'm not questioning anything and I am not going to put my car into a situation that I avoid. I agree it is a bad habit to hold the wheels in the extreme position.

I am only stating that prior to this thread I have never heard of a car's engine stalling due to this practice.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Please forgive me Guys, But I have never heard of such devoted BS, for defending a product defect, in all my life. Steel on steel and smart power steering pumps. :D Ya'll should have come up with some of these for the vibration problem. Maybe we should start that one over again. Just teasing. About the vibration anyway.

I made a poor judgement call on someone a few weeks ago. Well I've made several, too be honest. I didn't believe them when they said their car nearly stalled out, when they were accelerating onto the interstate. It's happened to me twice since then. Maybe that's Chryslers way of saying no, "Pedal to the Metal".

>>>>>>>>>>I can feel it coming############ouch!!!!>>>>>>>>Dixie

·
Registered
750 Posts
ridinclean said:

How many miles you got on it?

Zilla

·
Registered
99 Posts
Mine did this once too....only once. It happened when I was parallel parking and had the wheel cranked all the way. Since then I have never cranked the wheel till it stops and it hasnt stalled since. BTW, my car was brand new when this happened...not even 100 miles on it.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Gang,

Ours has done it several times over the past year. I've had to learn not to hit the steering stops and back up at the same time.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Did this today just to check it out.

Turned my steering wheel all the way right in foward and reverse. Saw the rpm go down by only 1 mark with no stalling. FYI, I have 5600 miles on mine.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Mine has stalled 3 times while i was reversing with the wheel locked. I can deal with it when reversing but I am concerned that it might do the same such as when making a U-turn. I got 6000 miles.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts