Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After filling to 1/2 tank, it becomes doggedly slow to continue pumping gas into the tank. At the smallest possible squeeze of the handle it will only go 5 seconds at a time before kicking off. The only way I can finish filling is to literally pull the filler tube out to the very edge of the filler hole, where I can actually see the end of the filler tube and watch the gas flowing from it. Is this an internal, fixable problem, or what is it? Thanks! Reggie

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
After filling to 1/2 tank, it becomes doggedly slow to continue pumping gas into the tank. At the smallest possible squeeze of the handle it will only go 5 seconds at a time before kicking off. The only way I can finish filling is to literally pull the filler tube out to the very edge of the filler hole, where I can actually see the end of the filler tube and watch the gas flowing from it. Is this an internal, fixable problem, or what is it? Thanks! Reggie
problem with the station or the pump? or does it happen any where u fill up

·
Premium Member
8,955 Posts
Are you kidding me?

Dude, I've been to pumps that do that before. I never once for a single second thought it was my car, and it never was.

Did you try another pump?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This happens at every pump I use, whether in LA, TX, MS, or elsewhere. It definitely IS the CAR. But I don't know what is causing this.

·
Premium Member
8,955 Posts
This happens at every pump I use, whether in LA, TX, MS, or elsewhere. It definitely IS the CAR. But I don't know what is causing this.

Ok then, try to not STUFF the nozzle in so far. Hang it back out a little more. I know that when I stick the nozzle in too far this will happen also.

It's backpressure that causes it to "click-off" and if the tip is pressed up against the inside too tightly it could happen.

With that said, you don't know anyone that would be a bastard enough to shove a banana in there malicously do you?

·
Registered
4,564 Posts
Check out the last post in this thread.
Trouble filling gas tank past 1/2? - LX Forums Modern Mopar Muscle

From the thread, here are some of the possible causes.

The recirculation tube is plugged.

The usual cause for the hard fill condition is a restriction in the evaporative system hoses.Check for a stuck closed fuel control valve.

If spit back is the concern, there is a flapper door where the fill neck attaches to the fuel tank, if this flapper is not sealing properly it will allow fuel to come up the fill neck as the tank nears full. If this is condition is present a fuel tank is required to repair.

Comments: If a repeat concern is found where liquid is in the evaporative cannister and lines, The customers fuel filling habits should be reviewed.
filling a vehicle while the engine is running will allow liquid to be pulled into the evaporative system anything more than 3 clicks at fill up is overfilling the tank and can force liquid into the evaporative system

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't "stuff it" into the filler tube, but have to hold it on the outer rim of the entry port to fill it. I can see the gas leaving the pump spout, which is dangerous and unacceptable. I think the fuel control valve has gone bad, from the last post. Thanks, Joey and others who have tried to be helpful.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I used to have that problem with my previous car. I found that turning the nozzle 90 degrees sideways I often had better luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts