Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back in Sept. (yeah along time ago) as the wife and I are eating at Pizza Hut, I looked out and noticed something unusual about my MSRT8 front fascia. On the driver's side, just to the inside of the brake vent intake the lower edge of the fascia was deformed and drooping down noticeably. As we all know these things are easy to skid on timkins and the light and I try to be very careful.

So when we got home I knelt down and tried to "feel" if I had broken anything loose, or was missing one of the 8mm bolts to the skirt, etc. Nothing was missing, but things did seem a bit loose. I didn't have time to work on it until last night.

We all know the SRT8s are slung low, so I was going to be very, VERY careful getting the beast up on my ramps. I placed my usual 1x6x2+ ft boards on the ramp slope to soften the angle as I have for the Heritage Edition, but even though I tried to ensure the spoiler didn't catch... IT DID!

Numbskull me I didn't take enough time to inch forward and check, then inch some more and check. So now I had two, quarter sized defects (one worse than the other) on each side of the fascia where one side of my metal ramps "caught" the lip and just before it got high enough!

AAAAAAArrrrggghhhhh....

I've been living with my stupidity for a while until I could afford a new fascia. But then we had a wet basement disasater and yard/tree repair. The best price I can find is about $410 out in Oregon before shipping, and I'm sure... paint.

I knooowww...
, but I can't bring myself to take shots to bring my own humiliation to the masses. So forgive me.

The wife said that's one of the most pitiful things she's ever seen... at least she's sympathizing and not yelling. Of course if I went out and ordered a new one at the moment... the latter could start at any time! LOL

More story to come...

·
Premium Member
10,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Now for the update. I decided to talk to my local Chrylser dealer who has a great body shop (used by many other dealers in town... Dodge as well as Kia for example). The guy told me the boo boos could be fixed and paint matched for about $400. So last week I gave him the MSRT8 for three days while I went to MN for an annual meeting.

They removed the fascia. Fixed the punctures, and repainted the whole fascia AND paint-matched two Magnum eyelids I got from the outfit that Moondoggie had used, and the total cost was $424.

Absolutely perfect job. I can not tell the difference of the repair vs. the unspoiled portion of the spoiler. Color match is spot on.

·
Premium Member
10,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I finally found a picture from last fall that I could crop enough to show the worst puncture of the passenger side spoiler lip... can you see it? Obviously I wasn't going to take a close-up on my personal error of judgement! This also shows the contrast between no lids with the lids shots that follow.

Now here's is a close up taken tonight, showing the same spot without a flaw...

Now here's how the new eyelids look... I'm fairly pleased with these also, although I'm still having a little bubble-up form right at the top edge of the break-over at the outside of the lens. Not sure what to do about it.

It also looks like the edges don't quite follow the lines of the hood and fascia, but I can assure you that they are perfectly aligned with the edge of the lenses... so do I need to adjust (somehow) the headlamp assembly... or is it just the angle of the shot?

·
Registered
14,781 Posts
I see your beast is looking just as fine as it always did GT. I did something similar to my baby before she met her demise. A body shop fixed it perfectly for $50….and then the next week whammmmm!

Your cars always look immaculate. :fing02:

·
Premium Member
6,091 Posts
hate it when I mess up and witnesses are present.. glad you got her patched up and back on the playground Tim!

·
Registered
859 Posts
Isn't it nice when you find a repair place that actually does good work!!

They did a great job of matching the paint to the rest of the car. Silver is
a tough color to match after the car is made. Most times, due to sun fade,
and wear and tear on the car, a silver repaint is usually slightly darker where
they repair it.

But yours looks perfect! They really did a great job. Its smooth, no orange
peel, and there is no waves in the repaired parts. That shows that the guy
who did the body work knows his shiit.

Now, just get yourself some low-profile ramps for your MSRT!!

Jim

·
Premium Member
10,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Danno! Surely didn't expect you would expend energy during your recovery to make such a post, but sure do appreciate it! I HAD to get it ready or else I'd have to skip the LX & Beyond Nationals, and I wasn't going to miss this event... so close to home.

Jim I am blessed to have two good dealerships (for both cars) and now to know this body shop also is part of one of them (even though it's located behind the MB/Ford dealership in town! LOL

Cue... it's ESPECIALLY embarrassing with your wife as a witness after the fact! HA HA.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts