Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just tossing around the idea of installing my factory '12 Dodge Challenger cat back system on my '14 300C w/5.7 hemi to perk up the exhaust note a bit and keeping it factory at the same time. Only differences I see are longer wheelbase length necessitating a couple of extensions for the front of the system to connect to the factory mid pipes. System is still like new hanging in my garage since 2012 when I installed a Flowmaster cat back on the Challenger.
Only expense would be a couple sections of 2.5" ID/OD pipe from the local auto parts store, already have clamps, etc.
Any ideas/advice?

·
Registered
434 Posts
Plenty of folks have gone the "Challenger exhaust to Charger" route. Other than tips and the extensions you're already aware of, I don't know for sure what you'd need. Might have to relocate a hanger or two.

Make sure the pipe you add is T-409 stainless, so you don't wind up with schlock mild steel bits on that nice new stainless factory exhaust.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update on this little project using my like-new Challenger R/T exhaust..........it went right in the stock hangers with a bit of fighting to get the tips into the stock rear valance exhaust inserts. Everything fit like it was made for it, added a set of extensions in front to attach it to the stock headpipes. Found it much easier to unbolt the mid pipes and insert them into the extensions and clamp the whole thing down. Exhaust looks stock and sounds great, is almost factory quiet but has a definite deep rumble to it. The stock system was plumbed in 2 and 1/4" necked down from the mids which were 2 and 1/2", this one is in 2 and 1/2" and made all the difference in the world in power output. It now pulls noticeably harder right off the bottom and all the way up the RPM range, and the exhaust is more audible inside the car.
The only drawback is that, since this came off of a manual trans Challenger, it has the dreaded MDS drone when cruising.:mad: I found that putting it in manual stick mode on the interstate and shifting to 5th gear keeps the MDS off, and the exhaust sounds great with the engine firing on all 8 cylinders, not loud at all. My wife even said it sounded great!
I will be remedying that situation when my new Diablosport i3 tuner is shipped to me, can just turn it off and be done with it. Mileage is no different with MDS or all 8 cylinders firing, around 21-22 mpg.
Total cost for parts was a whopping $8.54 at the local auto parts store for some lengths of 2 and 1/2" ID/OD tubing, already had clamps on the cat back and had 2 extra clamps from a Flowmaster install.
@ CtCarl-not worried about a couple of mild steel pieces to hook up the pipes, no one will see it! :cool:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update on my exhaust install--Got the Diablosport i3 tuner unit, took some getting used to and a couple calls to their tech line, not a user friendly piece of equipment but worth the $$ spent once I got its operation down to a science.
Turned off the dreaded MDS system and reset the fan on-off temps to accommodate the 180 thermostat, installed new parameters in conjunction with a 91 octane tune which has woke this thing up even more, and NO more MDS drone on the highway! It will break the tires loose from a roll and chirp 2nd using manual stick mode, and will hit well over 100 mph easily on a long freeway on-ramp. Mileage around 22-23 mpg now and engine temp stays below 192 degrees, usually around 185 driving on the highway. Exhaust note is quiet, but has the hemi growl now.
I'm happy with it!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts