Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, just want to start out by saying im a new member, but not new to the forum.
Ive been lurking since the day i bought my 300C :)

so much great info here

I love the look of HID's
my 300C has factory HID's with projectors, and they just dont seem as bright as other vehicles on the road with HID's? would changing to an aftermarket bulb give my 300 the super bright HID look? or do the projectors kill the fun of HID's?

also what are some of your thoughts on using some 12,000k's for lowbeams? too dark? or still great visibility? maybe i'll put some dark blue's in my fogs and pure white in my low beams :)

thanks in advance guys, ive been trying to figure this out forever :(

·
Registered
734 Posts
Our factory bulbs are 4300k, a lot of users on here including me soon enough, go to, 6k I think? Or is it 8... I'm pretty sure it's 6k.

As you may know, this is the color of light, 6k has been said to be the closest to white, with a hint of blue. You can try that if you want..

12k is jut about purple, and will not give you any long throwing light like a white light will. Think of regular light bulbs, you can get those "black light" style bulbs that look purple when turned on, gives off a low dim light, still casting a lot of shadows. Replace it with the same wattage clear glass bulb, and the light at the same wattage is 1000 times brighter.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks nmo8srt8

i understand that the more tinted the light, the less bright it seems. but it seems that my factory HID's just dont have the blinding lustre I see other cars with. i used to have a POS cavalier with an after market HID kit, that was blinding.
so i supose what my real question is = do my factory HID's seem more dim due to the stock 4300K bulbs, or the projector lenses?
and even if i went to an aftermarket 6000k would they have that HID look? or would the stock projectors still be a limiting factor?

can aftermarket bulbs be used with stock ballasts?

·
Registered
734 Posts
Well, A few things to make note.. HID's are all angled downward vs straight ahead.. and with the projector lens focusing the light, us standing in front of the car, will only yield a bright light, but not blinding light.

Try parking at a angle upwards, getting out and looking at your lights, you will be blinded. From afar, a vehicle is bouncing up and down even lightly, it changes the angle of the lens and projects a blinding light.

Assuming in your Cavalier you didn't have projectors, HID retrofit in halogen housings can be blinding to everyone. Getting cheap projector headlights off ebay, still don't yield good focused beam results.

I mean you could try a stronger ballast, and bulb, but the flip side is the heat generated may melt the housing of the headlight if it wasn't designed to handle the heat.

·
Premium Member
13,325 Posts
note that although they seem dimmer & yellow, 4300k bulbs are actually producing more light/visibility than the 'whiter/bluer' bulbs

6000k in the same wattage is what youre trying to achieve...looks cleaner & more 'HID' than stock

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, I'll probably throw some 6k's in my low beams, and some 10's or 12's in my fogs mostly for looks lol. Thanks for the advice

So any suggestions on reasonably priced d1s bulbs in 6k??

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Thanks guys, I'll probably throw some 6k's in my low beams, and some 10's or 12's in my fogs mostly for looks lol. Thanks for the advice

So any suggestions on reasonably priced d1s bulbs in 6k??
I found these that I'm getting

Also, IMO, 10K or 12K wont look that great in teh fod lights?
BEst is to try to match them with the Headlights.
Or get 3000K (Yellow) for the fog lights

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey blacknight, I've heard rumors of projector headlights needing low wattage bulbs, can anyone confirm this? Can aftermarket 35watt bulbs be put into stock projectors?

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Hey blacknight, I've heard rumors of projector headlights needing low wattage bulbs, can anyone confirm this? Can aftermarket 35watt bulbs be put into stock projectors?
You can use 35W HID's
They will draw less power at start up

1 - 9 of 9 Posts